Poll: how has your net worth changed since market highs?

We're down about 5%, but 40% of our net worth is currently in laddered CDs. I'm hoping to DCA about 50% of CD funds into our investment account over the next couple of years.

+1.9% The joys of a 97 percent fixed portfolio, at least for now.....

3/97 allocation

-15% of portfolio. 90% equities incl. banks and insurers :p
No PM or commodities since they've consistently seemed "too expensive" since I started learning about AA. Oh well.

Of total NW hard to say but prob. under only 5% so far due to paid off house. No idea how long it would take to sell or what it would fetch since there are no "comps". If sold at exactly its 2004 purchase price in euros, we would be up around $140k on that due solely to exch. rate (but we are feeling more pain each couple of months as our dollar transfers buy many fewer euros).

Last edited:
stocks and such + 13.08 over the last 12 months, - 3.52 ytd, but that doesn't include selling a dab of Fording at a profit (woohoo!). we don't own much in the market.
CDs are ticking along at maybe an average 5.5% (thanks Penfed 6.25%!) MMs are falling - we're about 1/2 & 1/2 CD/MM
Real estate - won't know till something sells, and even then won't know if it would have sold for more back when. One of those known unknowns. OTOH, rents are going up, so that's a good thing.
Networth: about to take a $75k hit thanks to needing to give Unca Sammy his due April 15th on the sale of a couple little houses early last year. Don't even want to think about the other part of the taxes. or our quarterlies.

market value down about 13% from mid 2007, 100% equity portfolio

dividend flow up about 4% from dividend increases by GGP, KIM, VNO,
GE, PFE, SYY

-15% of portfolio. 90% equities incl. banks and insurers :p

Ouch. Between you and Nords, you have lost a lot of your portfolios but neither of you seem too upset. I guess that is what having a high risk tolerance is all about.

Net worth is down about 7% from high watermark.

In dollars, it's a loss equal to my total combined gross earnings from my first 3 years of full-time work.

As bad as that sounds, if someone told me I had to work full-time for free for my first 3 years but I would be guaranteed to have the net worth I have today, I would have said yes in a heart beat.

It's all about perspective.

Well, he's not upset because he has at least one pension, even if COLA is not what it's cracked up to be. I have no excuse.. just kinda crazy. Started with some, bought more as I was working, and I hate selling. Don't see any great opportunities to diversify.. short term T-bills are negative, long-term bills are negative, gold who knows, and commodities I frankly haven't followed. I may start taking a look to swap out the few long-term losses I have for a couple more dividend-paying companies but I need to do a lot of research to see where I want to land. I worry about just general deflation world-wide. Uk is not looking so good; we won't be the only ones suffering and may drag others down.

i can pretty easily match nords' 20% down with my two houses, probably closer to 25% by the time they sell. keeping withdrawal rate under 4% should have me back to my comfort zone in about five years. i could either go back to work or suffer my losses in buenos aires, rio de janeiro and chiang mai. guess which path i'm taking.

Down 14% with 98% in equities. (Greater than 14% when you consider the drop in value of the $.)

Like an amusement park - lots of thrills with the up and down ride. Unlike an amusement park - the ride has not been enjoyable.

Down about 2-3%.
Taking advantage of the downturn by buying more stocks, should get a nice bump in 6-30 months:)

Ouch. Between you and Nords, you have lost a lot of your portfolios but neither of you seem too upset. I guess that is what having a high risk tolerance is all about.
Well, he's not upset because he has at least one pension, even if COLA is not what it's cracked up to be. I have no excuse.. just kinda crazy. Started with some, bought more as I was working, and I hate selling. Don't see any great opportunities to diversify.. short term T-bills are negative, long-term bills are negative, gold who knows, and commodities I frankly haven't followed. I may start taking a look to swap out the few long-term losses I have for a couple more dividend-paying companies but I need to do a lot of research to see where I want to land. I worry about just general deflation world-wide. Uk is not looking so good; we won't be the only ones suffering and may drag others down.
Yup-- volatility is only bad if you need to cash in your losers for spending money. Don't see that happening for years.

At this point, Ladelfina, we should be wishing to have the market stay sucky for at least another year or two of reinvested dividends. But if you're living off the dividends and not invading principal then... I guess you wouldn't care about volatility either.

I'd think that anyone with an annuity, especially a COLA'd annuity, should consider shifting the rest of their portfolio to higher in equities.

Like an amusement park - lots of thrills with the up and down ride. Unlike an amusement park - the ride has not been enjoyable.
I hate roller coasters-- I'm always speculating about the cumulative effects of the transient [-]impacts[/-] high-speed turns on the ride's structural integrity...

SO this thread finally made me look. Down 7.9 % excluding today.. Might have to start giving blood

In my 15th yr of ER - I have no idea. Just looking TR2015 is down 5.44% YTD. Maybe 5-10% :confused:ballpark.

BUT - The Nowegian widow can read current yield over 3.11% on the big dog plus around 4% on the mis mash of dividend 'hobby' stocks.

Heck - I don't even own any but pssst Wellesley is 4.26% on Vanguard's site.

Just makes a person feel warm and smarmy all over to read it!

heh heh heh - I will take a closer look nearer 4/15 when I do my best and final taxes and send those fine IRS folks their money.:cool:.

Down 6.6% -- would have been more but I increased by bond allocation last summer from 30 to 40%.

I'm down about 7% from the peak. Sitting tight and DCAing as before.

I peaked yesterday. We have been flirting at $0 net worth (excluding the unknowable amount of home equity) since Oct 07. With periodic investements with 80:20 equities:bonds we are down <1%. After today probably a little more then 1%.

DD

SO this thread finally made me look. Down 7.9 % excluding today.. Might have to start giving blood
I gave blood today. I got a T-shirt and an invitation to a luncheon. Those wouldn't amount to 7.9% of many folks' net worth. :)

I'm down a little, maybe 2-3% I guess on total net worth. On just invested money, maybe 8%. I haven't run the numbers. Shoot, it changes so much day-to-day it's hard to keep up.

Back
Top Bottom