Poll: how has your net worth changed since market highs?

free4now

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
How much has your total net worth changed since the high (which for many is the stock market high in late 2007)?

For this question think of net worth as the cash out value of everything that could be cashed out: home equity, equities, bonds, cash, other investments, 25 times yearly pension.

EDIT: please post percentages rather than dollar amounts.

Last edited:
About 9% from the high on Halloween. As in "negative" 9%, actually. Of course, most of this couldn't be "cashed out" without taxes and penalties.

This is internal return. I'm down less than 9% if you include 401K and Roth contributions since.

Last edited:
Yes...elevator going DOWN! I've been nervous enough about it, and am just hanging in there reinvesting and hoping it goes back up enough. This has been rough for me. Ditto..over $40K. Sad.

I am off 10% from my high water mark. I consider myself lucky I retired... When I was working I would have been almost 100% invested in equities and would have fallen much more. I would have been much worse if I hadn't made my asset allocation more conservative due to retiring.

I might calculate this once a year or every couple of years... people that are figuring month-to-month in an economic downturn, must really like pain:p

I'm sort of with maddy on this ... how about: a bunch! (That's a negative bunch.)

Last edited:
Thanks for reminding me of the pain . I'm down 9% . The biggest loss was in house value . It's down about $100,000 to $150,000 from what it was . Oh well !

I'm only down a little, maybe 3% even though my portfolio is down 7% ytd. That's because of DCA, increased equity in housing and a tax refund.

I've been recording the numbers, but I haven't figured percentages; I haven't even been looking at the graphs.

I'm down around 3%. My house is paid for and I havn't changed the value of it since 2001. I retired last year and went alittle more conservative.

Up 5.3% annualized and we do not include and home appreciation (just cost). Does that all the time, well at least through 2013 or 2014 and maybe beyond.

I'm not a quantifier but portfolio is up somewhat as I took a flight to safety last July/August. My portfolio returned to its July 19 level by Halloween and has gained a bit each month.

Got my 2007 addition to the Keogh so can now retire but conditions have changed and I know the money is worth less; rethinking it all again. Checked the bottom line yesterday and it hit one of those magic numbers but I don't feel like celebrating.

I won't calculate it until the end of March, but my estimate would be up around 2%. The portfolio plus retirement accounts are about where they started the year due to new money going in every month and a big annual contribution from my employer. Debt is constantly being paid down month to month.

If you asked me this question in 5-10 years, the portfolio will be much larger and declines in market value will have a much more significant impact on NW variation.

Down about 2.4% from the high water mark of December 2007. Our networth has been range-bound (+/- 2.5%) for about 9 months now (we compute NW every month to track our progress). Our portfolio is down about 9.4% from the highs of October 2007. Home value is stable. We've added as much new money as possible to our portfolio since late last year which explains the fairly mild decline in our overall networth number. Graph for monthly NW progression since 2001 below:

Last edited:
Down 10%---and that's with a balanced portfolio of a little over half muni bonds and the other half growth type mutual funds!

I don't know. I'm one of those bury my head in the sand types. Hoping the bad men will go away.

My net worth has tripled, but that was due to receiving partial distributions from a substantial and unexpected windfall. (The best kind? but I do miss my mother even so.)

My TSP, on the other hand, is down 1.6% since December 31st. This despite maximum contributions, maximum after-50 catchup, and the full 5% match. :bat:

I think I still could have managed ER without the windfall, within 6 months of the same day (the day when I qualify for lifetime medical). So at most, it has saved me 6 months.

If you go with the October high I am down about 8.5%. But if you include real estate equity it's about 5.5% maybe a little less. This does not involve any drop in my house prices because I never cranked them up to the bubble levels in any of my spreadsheets.

Down about 4.4%, but that's with contributions... glad I've been overpaying the mortage for the last 12 months!

About 5%, including equity in house. Not as bad as I thought. This is starting with a 57/43 asset allocation.

Down 20% and just finished rebalancing into the bargains.

The thrill of a 92%-equity portfolio...

Down 2.2% not including home equity. Have no idea with home equity, since nothing has sold or been for sale in my neighborhood for over a year, and I'm not in the market. I suppose if I were forced to sell my primary home for some reason I'd have to let it go at 20% below its peak. In that case I'd be down 10% or so overall. I don't count home equity in my retirement plan, though, that's too risky.

Down 20% and just finished rebalancing into the bargains.

The thrill of a 92%-equity portfolio...

Retirement and after tax down 10%. from Fall 07 high

I was 80/20 equity/fixed, but went 50/50 at Dow 13000 and now I'm 30/70

I looked at a pull out of house values over the last year in one of the local glossy magazines and it said they went UP by 2% in my town.....:crazy:

Back
Top Bottom