Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much are you paying for internet access? Use the regular rate not the temp promo price!
Free (Dial-up only) 4 2.68%
=< $5 (Dial-up only) 1 0.67%
=< $10 (Dial-up only) 7 4.70%
=< $15 (Dial-up only) 2 1.34%
=< $20 (Dial-up only) 4 2.68%
Free (Broadband) 6 4.03%
=< $15 (Broadband) 4 2.68%
=< $20(Broadband) 8 5.37%
=< $25 (Broadband) 15 10.07%
=< $30 (Broadband) 14 9.40%
=< $35 (Broadband) 9 6.04%
=< $40 (Broadband) 29 19.46%
=< $45 (Broadband) 12 8.05%
=< $50 (Broadband) 20 13.42%
> $50 (Broadband) 14 9.40%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: How much are you paying for Internet Access?
Old 04-02-2007, 03:15 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: How much are you paying for Internet Access?

Interested in how much internet access if costing you. I made some assumptions on costs. I probably have too many categories...

I was using dial-up for years and had been wanting to get broadband, but I could not bring myself to pay the $45 to $50 it cost.

One day in the newspaper, I saw an AOL add that offered Broadband for $24.95 as a permanent offer. The broadband ws offered by Time Warner. The offer did not last for long. later Time warner and AOL made some changes and the offer went away. I am still getting my low rate.

Please post any comments that may shed light on your deal if it needs explanation.

Personally, I feel that Broadband is too expensive. Where is the competition?

chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Poll: How much are you paying for Internet Access?
Old 04-02-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

one issue is phone service - My internet access is 24 but I have to have a phone line for 21 that I wouldn't need if I didn't have internet service.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:43 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

And there are differences in the speed rate of broadband services. I pay 39.99 a month (plus phone line) but my download speed is 6 MB/sec. Upload is about .768 MB/sec. I could pay cheaper rates, even down to 14.99 with the same company (AT&T), but I spend a lot of time on the computer and for me, this is not a place I want to cut back. I'm thinking about cutting back to the 24.99 service which is 3 MB/sec just to experiment and see if I actually notice the difference and it frustrates me.

I agree that it costs too much.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:12 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

This is really a sore point with me. I can get dial up or I can get Comcast High Speed at $50 a month. Even though I live in the big city I am too far away for DSL and there is no competing broadband company in my area.

Every month I feel like they have a gun to my head. (They act like it too)
Old 04-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i get free dsl and cell phone from my employer. i pay for vonage, but i'll probably get a free land line soon as well. if i had to pay i would probably just do the all in one package from time warner cable for TV, digital phone and internet.
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:15 AM   #6

We have broadband cable internet through Time Warner Roadrunner for $44.95 a month. We dropped our cable TV service when we switched to satellite a few years ago and the price for the cable internet stayed the same. Years ago, they used to charge a fee to have cable internet without the TV service.

We've had Roadrunner cable since Jan. 1997. Our local area was the first test area for Roadrunner starting in 1996. It was a good service then, with some growing pains. After the first year or two it's been fantastic, very reliable and worth the price for the four of us.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:23 AM   #7

We are paying the same as Sue. However, having enjoyed the luxury of cable internet for years I could never go back to dial up or anything slower. I am so impatient that if I am put in a situation where I have to use dial up I am ready to do someone some harm in the time it takes a page to load.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:28 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Comcast, Time Warner, and probably other cable internet services have negotiable pricing I've been paying $19 or $29/mo for Comcast/TWC for several years when the "list" price is $45 or $49. Simply call in and tell the CSR that DSL is being offered in your area for $15/mo or whatever it happens to be (they can't check anyways) and that you are considering switching. They'll usually offer you a 6- or 12-month "special" pricing to keep you as a customer. Sometimes they won't offer till you bluff and tell them you want to cancel. And sometimes it takes a couple calls -- one CSR may not offer it but another will. But for 30 minutes on the phone you can save a couple hundred bucks per year on broadband. After your special pricing period is up, repeat the process.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:57 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

We pay $59.99 for mobile satellite broadband.....one of the few things that are more expensive in this nomadic motorhome life than with a fixed base home. Another is cost of mail forwarding......but put next to the gods making the electricity on the roof, no utility bills, no property taxes, no mortgage and abundant sunshine and great weather all year, not to mention the size of our neighborhood....who can complain

LooseChickens
loosechickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:03 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I've had a "temp promo price" for 3-4 years now, so I'm not sure how to vote. Each year
without asking I've been offered a new, lower price good for 1 year. Living in a major metro
area with reasonable competition between providers, I see no reason this trend won't
continue. The promo pricing is now $18/mo for DSL, the regular listed price
is probably around $35-$50 but I'm not sure it'd be worth paying for at that amount.
figner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:14 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I am paying a little extra to a private ISP so I can run a couple of web servers in the basement for sh**ts and giggles. Last time I looked Verizon prohibited it.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:04 PM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am a cheapskate at 39.95 a year.
http://vtisp.com/
rec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdakini
And there are differences in the speed rate of broadband services. I pay 39.99 a month (plus phone line) but my download speed is 6 MB/sec. Upload is about .768 MB/sec. I could pay cheaper rates, even down to 14.99 with the same company (AT&T), but I spend a lot of time on the computer and for me, this is not a place I want to cut back. I'm thinking about cutting back to the 24.99 service which is 3 MB/sec just to experiment and see if I actually notice the difference and it frustrates me.

I agree that it costs too much.

I pay $30 for my 3 MB/sec DSL from verizon with a wireless modem/router. I doubt that you will find such a big difference. I can hardly notice the difference from the network at my workplace which is 10 Mbs.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:21 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Free Cox broadband since my wife's MegaCorp pays for it.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:25 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pay 50 or so for Comcast. I cant get dsl and frankly the wife and I like to game. I will never go back to dial up!! NEVER!!
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysto
This is really a sore point with me. I can get dial up or I can get Comcast High Speed at $50 a month. Even though I live in the big city I am too far away for DSL and there is no competing broadband company in my area.

Every month I feel like they have a gun to my head. (They act like it too)
I'm in the same situation, no DSL access so it's a choice of the above two for me. I need the cable speed for work, they pay for it right now but I'm figuring the cost into my budget because I can't go back to dial up.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:16 AM   #17

This is (another) of my pet peeves. The high cost is one thing but the phone/cable companies are screwing us all. The USA now ranks something like 9 or 10 worldwide in cost/bandwidth. We're not paying that much more on average but the service is much slower and now the phone companies want us to pay for the expansion and they also want to control the content.

Vote to keep the net neutral.

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/moyersonam...net/index.html

Old 04-03-2007, 06:54 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955

This is another high cost of living rural. We pay $49.95/mo for satellite DSL (Wildblue). It's really our only choice for high speed right now, though there's a lot of talk in the VT legislature about "affordable broadband for all".
Old 04-03-2007, 12:08 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem1955
This is another high cost of living rural. We pay $49.95/mo for satellite DSL (Wildblue). It's really our only choice for high speed right now, though there's a lot of talk in the VT legislature about "affordable broadband for all".
Or not...we have dial up at home at $9.95 a month. Maybe cable will be coming our way sometime soon, but we could never put down $50 a month for internet access! Yikes! Part of living rural is going outside and staying off the computer (heck, that's what the workday is for, surfing the net)!

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:21 PM   #20

We pay Earthlink $40/mo for 1.5 Mbps DSL service. I've just bought a domain name for family e-mail so that we can shop ISP's without having to change e-mail addresses in the future. I plan on switching to AT&T-Yahoo 3 Mbps DSL service this summer after my wife has finished her school volunteer work for the year and feels comfortable changing her e-mail address. The 3 Mbps service will be $25/mo.
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote