Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What percentage of your TAKE HOME pay do you give as charity and gifts?
Less than 2% 40 45.98%
2% to 4% 20 22.99%
4% to 6% 8 9.20%
6% to 8% 5 5.75%
8% to 10% 6 6.90%
Greater than 10% 8 9.20%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Poll: How much do you give?
Old 01-24-2007, 10:21 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Who Really Cares: The Surprising Truth about Compassionate Conservatism (Hardcover)
by Arthur C. Brooks

http://tinyurl.com/2y24sb

Editorial Reviews
Book Description
Surprising proof that conservatives really are more compassionate--and more generous--than liberals.

We all know we should give to charity, but who really does? Approximately three-quarters of Americans give their time and money to various charities, churches, and causes; the other quarter of the population does not. Why has America split into two nations: givers and non-givers?

Arthur Brooks, a top scholar of economics and public policy, has spent years researching this trend, and even he was surprised by what he found. In Who Really Cares, he demonstrates conclusively that conservatives really are compassionate-far more compassionate than their liberal foes. Strong families, church attendance, earned income (as opposed to state-subsidized income), and the belief that individuals, not government, offer the best solution to social ills-all of these factors determine how likely one is to give.

Charity matters--not just to the givers and to the recipients, but to the nation as a whole. It is crucial to our prosperity, happiness, health, and our ability to govern ourselves as a free people. In Who Really Cares, Brooks outlines strategies for expanding the ranks of givers, for the good of all Americans.

From the Publisher
"There will of course be many readers (and many more nonreaders) of Mr. Brooks's book who will dismiss it on its face, and there will be fierce efforts mounted to discredit his analysis and data. Let them come. Who Really Cares should serve to change the public discussion dramatically. With any luck, it will be for our decade what Charles Murray's "Losing Ground" was for the 1980s (challenging the disincentive logic of welfare) or what Michael Harrington's "The Other America" was for the 1960s (highlighting the persistence of poverty amid affluence) ─ the text at the center of a constructive national debate." ─Wall Street Journal

"The next time you find yourself in a conversation about how liberals are caring and compassionate while conservatives are selfish and hard-hearted, you might want to refer your interlocutors to Who Really Cares."--First Things (December 06)

"Provocative... It's not just that charity helps those on the receiving end, says Brooks, an economist at Syracuse University in New York. It also strengthens the cohesion of society at large. Moreover, it appears to make the givers themselves more successful, possibly because the activity transforms them somewhat into better or happier people. Whatever the reasons, he finds that higher income tends to push up charity - and that greater charity tends to push up income."--Christian Science Monitor (11/27/06)

"[B]reaks new ground... In WHO REALLY CARES, Arthur C. Brooks finds that religious conservatives are far more charitable than secular liberals, and that those who support the idea that government should redistribute income are among the least likely to dig into their own wallets to help others."--Chronicle of Philanthropy (11/23/06)

About the Author
Arthur C. Brooks is professor of public administration at Syracuse University’s Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs. He is the author of numerous articles and books on topics relating to charity and civic life, and his work appears frequently in the Wall Street Journal and other publications.
‹ Return to Product Overview
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Volunteer experiences abroad (was Re: Poll: How much do you give?)
Old 01-24-2007, 10:23 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Volunteer experiences abroad (was Re: Poll: How much do you give?)

Along the lines of giving time (and not to hijack this thread - moderator please feel free to move if appropriate)
I have been looking for ways to combine foreign travel with a
meaningful volunteer contribution of effort in another country. I'm thinking along the lines of working together with locals
on something that can add long term value/capacity to their community - perhaps habitat for humanity, public works
projects like water systems, reforestation, rural preventative medical clinics, etc.  Has anyone here done something similar that they felt was
truly worthwhile and of genuine benefit to recipients?  Prior to ER I could afford a couple of weeks on something like this. Obviously
after ER it could be longer given an appropriate and effective organization. Seems it could  be a very rewarding way to travel and
experience a different side of another culture.  Latin america is of particular interest for me. Any suggestions based on personal experience would be a big help at this point.
rockyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:24 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
You better keep me out of your sample for that one, lest I skew your results.

I loathe even being considered a charity receiver.
Hey, no problem retire@40! As my post stated, "if it turns out they need it themselves." That wouldn't apply to you as you've been fortunate to never need charity.

I feel pretty much the same way that you do. For example, my oldest grandson receives occupational and speech therapy from Easter Seals due to cerebral palsey. His parents have been offered help with paying for services there. But I can afford to help them with that burden, so I pick up the amount they can't afford and free the Easter Seals folks to help someone else who couldn't afford treatments otherwise.

From your post, it sounds like you'd handle the situation the same way.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:41 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I, too, am struggling with the "giving more now that we can" problem. I don't come from a charitable background, so it is all new to me. We sent a check to Heifer International at Christmas (earmarked for their Mongolia vet medicine project) and it really was enjoyable--selecting the charity, the project, etc.

I would like to work in disaster relief logistics when I retire, and in the same areas as STW mentioned. I've done a lot of research in this area, and there aren't any good answers. Oxfam and the Red Cross do most of this stuff in Latin America. There was a really cool water project that Rotary International was promoting in Latin America, but I don't know if it will still be viable by the time I can go!

We plan to increase our contributions to niece and nephew's college funds this year, and add more charitable giving. My boss gave me a couple of books to read in the "cheerful giver" category--he is a very generous person, and is trying to influence me on this to some degree. The idea of giving money away has just has never been in my DNA. I worked for Habitat for Humanity for a couple of years, but mine was a mercenary job, making money, not a squishy feel-good one.

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:42 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

By the way, just so you guys don't think I am a total saint, my take-home pay has already been reduced by more than $4,000 in direct deposit savings and 401K contributions. My actual gifting as a percentage of take home pay excluding savings deductions is closer to 8 to 10%. (8% in contributions to church and charities and at least 2% (but probably much more) to family members. With respect to the possibility of reducing church contributions, that ain't gonna fly unless I find a new DW.

My pre-tax contribution rate, excluding family gifts is about 6%. Since I try not to think of my ongoing savings as "accessable income" there is a natural tendency to use what I actually take home in the denominator.
ScaredtoQuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:11 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclesters
I would like to work in disaster relief logistics when I retire, and in the same areas as STW mentioned. I've done a lot of research in this area, and there aren't any good answers. Oxfam and the Red Cross do most of this stuff in Latin America.
If you are interested in disaster relief, take a look at AmeriCares. They seem to be very well run and also have the resources ($$$) to mobilize large amounts of relief to affected areas. give.org and charitynavigator.org give them high marks.
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Volunteer experiences abroad (was Re: Poll: How much do you give?)
Old 01-24-2007, 02:10 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stw
Along the lines of giving time (and not to hijack this thread - moderator please feel free to move if appropriate) I have been looking for ways to combine foreign travel with a
meaningful volunteer contribution of effort in another country. I'm thinking along the lines of working together with locals on something that can add long term value/capacity to their community - perhaps habitat for humanity, public works
projects like water systems, reforestation, rural preventative medical clinics, etc. Has anyone here done something similar that they felt was
truly worthwhile and of genuine benefit to recipients?
Everything I've heard about Habitat for Humanity has been positive. I think I'd enjoy working on one of their overseas projects.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:03 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Everything I've heard about Habitat for Humanity has been positive. I think I'd enjoy working on one of their overseas projects.
I haven't worked with Habitat for Humanity but my wife and I did volunteer a week of our time to go to New Orleans two months ago with my church. We spent the week hanging dry wall in one of the areas that was flooded. It was very hard work but quite rewarding!! It was almost like having a vacation. I expect to go again some time in the future.
ScaredtoQuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:31 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

i give to my sons private school , church and the elks

i like to think my TAXES are the rest!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-25-2007, 12:52 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

wstu,
I agree that, especially during the salary-earning years, taxes are a huge bite and a you are making a major contribution to society to help pay for older people, poorer people and sick people along with the nation's defense etc. I think the giving question, financial and non-financial, takes on more poignancy once we ER and our taxes go way down or even to zero.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:17 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstu32

i like to think my TAXES are the rest!!!!!!!!!!!!

depends on whether you think bombs are charitable or not....