Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much is too much to walk away from?
$100k/year 2 1.60%
$200k/year 10 8.00%
$400k/year 29 23.20%
$800k/year 18 14.40%
1.2M/year 7 5.60%
1.6M/year 2 1.60%
2M/year 10 8.00%
3M/year 0 0%
4M/year 4 3.20%
no amount is/would have been too large to keep me from my FIRE dream 43 34.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2017, 08:49 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinancebuff View Post
There is some logical inconsistency here. As I'm reading the results, 36% voted "no amount is/would have been too large to keep me from my FIRE dream." To this 36%, when are you going to/did you retire? If no amount is too large, why isn't/wasn't it one year sooner? Is it because if it's one year sooner you don't feel you have enough? And therefore lack of that amount would/actually did keep you from the dream?
I'm reading that as "Once I made the decision to RE, no amount of money offered would have induced me to stay longer." In my particular case, that wasn't true, as I was still in my mid-40s and would have certainly stayed another few years at a salary of around $500k (over double what I had been making). But for those 36% who chose this answer in the poll, I assume they had had enough and would have been miserable staying on in their jobs regardless of how much money was offered.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2017, 12:55 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

i walked away from a 400 -500K / year career. It was killing me. There is no 9-5 40 hour a week life possible with most careers that pay that well. I do not regret the choice. The last 10 years of my Career & had no life other than work and sleep. If I could go back and do it again, I would have stayed in middle management & had a family life.
Shanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:43 PM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you don't walk away now, that amount will get bigger and bigger.
flyingaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:30 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
If you don't walk away now, that amount will get bigger and bigger.
Not necessarily. It's the relationship between what you already have and the extra you could save by working another year. When your net worth gets big enough no reasonable amount will keep you working.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:17 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

This question dovetails right in to the "how much is enough" question. IOW, how much do you need to have in your nest egg to reach the "FI" portion of FIRE and then how much more do you need or want on top of that before you'd leave your job?
IrishMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:41 PM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishMoss View Post
This question dovetails right in to the "how much is enough" question. IOW, how much do you need to have in your nest egg to reach the "FI" portion of FIRE and then how much more do you need or want on top of that before you'd leave your job?
I agree. I also looked at it from a different perspective. Let's say for example that by one's calculation, they need another $750K and they think they can do it at their present salary plus wage increases in 8 years. But then they are offered a job making $500K/year. Working 2 years at that rate would generally put them in the same position at the lower rate 8 years from now but it's so much they may want to work say 4 years at that rate. The 2 extra years gives them a bigger cushion and/or better lifestyle and they are still tapping out in half the time.
Johanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #87

For the record, if I see a penny on the ground I do not walk away. I stop whatever I am doing to pick up that penny to remind myself how lucky I am to not need it. When it's a dime, I am just damn excited.
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:13 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

You can always make more money somehow someway, but you can't get more time or time back no matter what you do. I try to remember that because I've never heard of anyone at the end of their lives wishing they had spent more time working, being in meetings, being on call.
IrishMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:22 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishMoss View Post
You can always make more money somehow someway, but you can't get more time or time back no matter what you do. I try to remember that because I've never heard of anyone at the end of their lives wishing they had spent more time working, being in meetings, being on call.
Sure, but I suspect there are people who, when they run out of money in retirement, might wish they worked a few years more. We don't generally hear from these people here.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:16 AM   #90
Confused about dryer sheets

I walked away from $200K a year. Three years later I went back at half that to another job because I missed the office interactions. Basically I got bored - I don't really like to travel and while I love my kids I really don't see a need to follow them around all day, especially now that they are teenagers.

ER is not a money question, its a lifestyle question. What do you enjoy/like and will you be able to do that if you leave? Also for me, I found there were not many 50 year old retirees around in the middle of the work day to hang out with. YMMV
Txtriathelete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:19 AM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

I earn and am able to save a great deal (high six figures per year in the most recent years). Because this hasn't been the situation for very many years, each year has moved the needle very noticeably on our net worth, albeit in decreasing increments.

At this point, it is the tool to help cement my FIRE vision rather than creating any version of OMY syndrome. The passing of years is definitely taking over the equation for me.
timemoveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:29 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by timemoveson View Post
I earn and am able to save a great deal (high six figures per year in the most recent years). Because this hasn't been the situation for very many years, each year has moved the needle very noticeably on our net worth, albeit in decreasing increments.

At this point, it is the tool to help cement my FIRE vision rather than creating any version of OMY syndrome. The passing of years is definitely taking over the equation for me.
I was in a similar situation. After a few years time becomes more important than money. But nevertheless money is still pretty important.