Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: $90k in todays dollars for retirement would be...
Way more than I would ever need 99 29.03%
I would be happy, it is a bit more than I need 110 32.26%
It is about what i am targeting as an income 70 20.53%
It would be disappointing for my targeted income 43 12.61%
I would be terribly disappointed with this income 22 6.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It is true that my writing style is rarely a solemn one. But about drinking the best, well not all the times but quite often, I am able to afford it simply because I do not drink that much. It's that simple. Didn't we agree that when one cuts back on quantity, he can have quality?

What I spend on booze a year is never that much for me to track separately as a budgetary item, compared to a friend of mine who told me he spent a few thousands a year on just light beer consumed in bars. When I asked if he drank outside the home because of company, he said no. Most nights, he said he just sat alone ordering several consecutive drinks, while watching people. In contrast, I drink alone, watching snow fall or listening to the music, or contemplating the meaning of life.

PS. I am taking time off from my travail with the wood floor installation. I will have to get back to finish it. See that the kind of money I save with DIY projects allows me to drink a lot more than I have (but too much drinking is of course not good). And then, earlier we talk about having a house cleaner. At $75/cleaning session once every 2 weeks, I can afford a bottle of XO-grade a month if I do the work myself (or talk DW into it).

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It is true that my writing style is rarely a solemn one. But about drinking the best, well not all the times but quite often, I am able to afford it simply because I do not drink that much. It's that simple. Didn't we agree that when one cuts back on quantity, he can have quality?

What I spend on booze a year is never that much for me to track separately as a budgetary item, compared to a friend of mine who told me he spent a few thousands a year on just light beer consumed in bars. When I asked if he drank outside the home because of company, he said no. Most nights, he said he just sat alone ordering several consecutive drinks, while watching people. In contrast, I drink alone, watching snow fall or listening to the music, or contemplating the meaning of life.

PS. I am taking time off from my travail with the wood floor installation. I will have to get back to finish it. See that the kind of money I save with DIY projects allows me to drink a lot more than I have (but too much drinking is of course not good). And then, earlier we talk about having a house cleaner. At $75/cleaning session once every 2 weeks, I can afford a bottle of XO-grade a month if I do the work myself (or talk DW into it).
No way am I criticizing you. I pretty much agree with your approach, though living as I now do, DIY is pretty well over for me. Not that this makes me sad, no, not at all. One other thing I likely will not be doing is spending heavy money on tequila. For me, tequila is like rum and aguardiente. Tropical shooters for someone who doesn't much like beer and won't pay the outrageous prices for wine down there. Thinking about it, I am not sure I ever drank in a place in SA that even had doors, except those that roll down at night after they have hosed down the cement floor. My speed was always las cantinas.

Ha