Do you invest in index funds?

• Yes, I own index funds in my portfolio

Votes: 169 93.9%
  • No, I do not own index funds

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • I'm pleading the 5th but I want to participate in the poll

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
We have index funds in our portfolio. We also have actively managed investments.

Index baby, index. In other words, yes. :)

You should have an option for both index funds and actively managed funds. I would bet most everyone has at least one index fund but the way the poll is now its going to look like almost everyone is an indexer.

I have 11 funds and 5 of them are index funds. I would say I'm part indexer and part actively managed funds so I didnt answer the poll.

You should have an option for both index funds and actively managed funds. I would bet most everyone has at least one index fund but the way the poll is now its going to look like almost everyone is an indexer.

I have 11 funds and 5 of them are index funds. I would say I'm part indexer and part actively managed funds so I didnt answer the poll.
Feel free to create your own poll if you don't like mine. :)

I debated on creating separate poll responses on what portion of your portfolio index funds represented but decided to keep it simple.
My post was incomplete, it should have included I answered "Yes, I own index funds" because at least half of any equity category is indexed.

We have index funds in our portfolio. We also have actively managed investments.

Same here. I have 6 funds in my overall portfolio and 1 of them is an index fund. It is in my IRA and has half of the IRA's total and is 19% of my total portfolio.

Feel free to create your own poll if you don't like mine. :)

No thanks, I'm good. Your poll is useless but if that's with fine with you, I'm good with it too :)

PS..I copied your lead by adding a smiley face to make my semi-rude statement seem less rude.

I have a mix. At Fidelity, I use a managed stock fund, but the rest of the AA is all in index funds. At Vanguard, it's all index funds.

The title is misleading when compared to the question. If someone invests in an index fund, that does not necessarily mean they are an indexer. I take indexer to mean a person who has a high proportion of investments in indexes because that is their strategy.

If I have one index fund, that does not mean I am an indexer.

As it is, I am an indexer, and have mostly stayed with a balanced index of 60/40 for our investments. Call it 90% invested in indexes, and 5-10% in managed allocation fund (like Wellesley).

95% plus - full auto balanced index(SINCE 2006). The name for the class is 'life cycle funds'. Right?

Now I have a few good stocks which I am only allowed to buy/sell during football season IF the Saint's are doing well.

heh heh heh - :cool:

See new thread/poll title.
Thanks for allowing a rewording of the poll. :)

My understanding of the questions and my response are both unchanged - we are part passive index, part active managed fund, in equities and fixed income.

There's nary a poll that doesn't have some critical feedback regarding wording or questions; we can do so in a way that is polite and friendly.

I don't have a single index fund. I'm not at all, in any way, against them, I just don't currently have one. If I transferred my 2 old rollover IRAs to Vanguard like I should've done 4 years ago then I would likely put most of that into VTI.

About 40% of my stocks are index, the rest are in managed funds or individual stocks. Plan to move most of the individual stocks to index over the next couple of years.

I index in the US stock markets (small, mid and large cap) and hold active funds in other asset classes.

I currently do not own any index funds, only actively managed ones. I have nothing against them but just never bought any in my taxable accounts and there are currently not any available in my 401K (which is where I would most likely purchase them if they were).
Er....I just realized this isn't a true statement, as I do actually own Vanguard REIT Index Fund Institutional Shares (VGSNX) in my 401K and there are 4 other indexes available (3 stock and 1 bond) but i just don't buy them. :duh::uglystupid:

Last edited:
2/3 index and 1/3 managed . so far my managed funds have beaten index's for many years now .

Back
Top Bottom