Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: From your ZIP code and the Washington Post link, what is your rank?
90 to 100 77 36.32%
80 to 89 43 20.28%
70 to 79 24 11.32%
60 to 69 14 6.60%
50 to 59 18 8.49%
40 to 49 15 7.08%
30 to 39 9 4.25%
20 to 29 7 3.30%
10 to 19 5 2.36%
1 to 9 0 0%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

A couple of the towns we lived in growing up are in 50th and lower percentiles. Our location today evolved into its higher percentile in the time we have lived here. It looks like the bigger the zip code, the lower the percentile. Parts of other zip codes near us would rank much higher if they were split off.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Mine was 26, I live 4 miles away from 90. It's amazing how different areas that are so close can be.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My zippers....currently 87. Where I grew up....10.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

We are in an urban 95 but the median house size probably compares to a suburban 50.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

Ugh. 95

Love the safety.

Love the schools.

Love the stable traditional family units. (Ironically, that is a common trait in many super-zips, but i'm sure it's just a coincidence)

Hate the NorthFaceBMWAcuraCoachLuisVutton snobbery but decided i'm willing to pay that price in return for the other stuff.
DevonMiles19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Where I live now. 32
The neighborhood I moved from (first house) 14
My parent's house 8

So, I guess while my number is low, it has been an upward trajectory. Interestingly, the income level was highest in my parent's neighborhood but few college grads.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #27

Where I grew up, 51
Where I currently live for last 27 years, 98
Where I hope to retire in 1 - 2 years, 73
Old 11-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

99. Our car is too old and cheap even for the high school students' parking lot.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozer View Post
Mine was 26, I live 4 miles away from 90. It's amazing how different areas that are so close can be.
We recently downsized, moving 6 miles. The original home is in a 36, the new home is a 50. I think its because the first zipcode has more apartments than the second and since a lot of people live on SSI alone that could pull the average income way down.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #30

61 in central Arkansas. It was thrilling to be in AR and not in the bottom category.

10 for the zip where i was raised - SE Arkansas. Difficult to make a living down there.

....i just thought to check DH's hometown of Topsfield, MA. It is a 97. Looks like we come from different backgrounds, lol.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

30, but I'll bet it's a bit higher now since this was taken from 2010 Census data and the local Eagle Ford shale/oil/gas boom has added a very large amount of wealth here in the last 2-3 years. County property tax rolls are about 3x higher than they were in 2010 because of the skyrocketing value of the land (because of oil and gas royalties). Wouldn't be surprised if it's closer to 40 now. (Movin' on up!)

Frankly I'd prefer the lower cost of living, but this oil money is why my wife's employer is doing very well financially despite having a small congregation. So I suppose it's in our interests for it to continue!
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

49 for my zip code.

65 for Frank's zip code.

31 for the zip code where I grew up. So, like Tom52, BBBamI, and several others here, I guess I'm...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Ok, so I went and looked at where I grew up (my mom in her late 80s still lives there). It is a 15 which seems about right for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
I live in an 83 but my house is really in an community that's part of the 95 next to us. The zip codes are not layed out by community. It's how the Post Office set it up several decades ago.
And in semi-rural, suburban areas where people live on acreage there can be wide disparities between different subdivisions. I have no doubt that if done by subdivision, the current subdivision I'm in would be over 95 (it is much nicer than the area around the land that we sold before this which was a 96). On the other hand, within the same zip code but more than 20 minutes away there are (nice) apartments which probably drag down the rating.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #34

So this is how credit card solicitors and loan interest rate deciders have been judging us for years.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #35

Like it here.
One of the zip's in our town goes down to 5. But it is not very safe there. Funny thing is it is only three zip code's away from one that is 96.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

97 for us. I can't wait to cash out and be the Joneses some place cheaper.

I have been taking the happiness studies to heart, and most people seem happy if they live better than their reference group. We have (almost) nowhere to go but down!

This was one of our light bulb moments about retirement - if we weren't working megacorp jobs, we would have less income, but then we wouldn't need as much income if we moved away from the area where the megacorp jobs kept the housing prices high.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #37

I checked where I grew up out of curiosity (a 45). I thought it would be a lot lower as it is a shell of an old steel town. I moved 16 miles to my present home (a 57) in 2004 and the municipality I left scored a 90. Where I live now is very diverse, with quite a bit of countryside outside of the city limits. My previous location was a bedroom community for high earning professionals, many of whom moved just over the county line from Allegheny County (Pittsburgh) for lower taxes on their McMansions and a belief that the schools were better. My son came home with tales of kids who drove their own luxury cars to the high school campus and spent school breaks in ski and beach resorts.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

As I overheard a young employee tell a couple of other youngsters as they were walking out to the parking lots:

"I hate that there's terrible traffic, and it's because of us."

There is so much mega-employment around here, it is actually degrading the quality of life.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post

if we weren't working megacorp jobs, we would have less income, but then we wouldn't need as much income if we moved away from the area where the megacorp jobs kept the housing prices high.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #39

52 where I grew up
99 where I live now

That WP article may as well be about my current neighborhood, where most homes have 2 working adults, typically attorneys, and the lawn is cut by a professional landscaper. People can't believe it around here when they see me working on my own car, or doing work on the outside of my own house.

Cashing out of the current house and neighborhood is the vision. The plan is still in the works, and is subject to decisions made by the US Navy.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

89....where I grew up

96....where I now live

48.....where I may retire
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote