Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: From your ZIP code and the Washington Post link, what is your rank?
90 to 100 77 36.32%
80 to 89 43 20.28%
70 to 79 24 11.32%
60 to 69 14 6.60%
50 to 59 18 8.49%
40 to 49 15 7.08%
30 to 39 9 4.25%
20 to 29 7 3.30%
10 to 19 5 2.36%
1 to 9 0 0%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
...subject to decisions made by the US Navy.
Who, I'm sure, has your best interest at heart...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of our zips checks in at 96....the other at 82.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonMiles19 View Post

Love the safety.

Love the schools.

Love the stable traditional family units. (Ironically, that is a common trait in many super-zips, but i'm sure it's just a coincidence)

Hate the NorthFaceBMWAcuraCoachLuisVutton snobbery but decided i'm willing to pay that price in return for the other stuff.
Is North Face really in the same league as the others? I have a soft spot for them since we bought our hiking gear in the 1970's. Seems to be reasonably priced even now. I'd rather manufacturers did not put their brand name so prominently on their gear but it seems to be the fashion.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #44
Administrator

You people are lucky. When I was a young boy we were too poor to have a zip code.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
The Washington Post has a map where you can input your ZIP code and find out what percentile your ZIP ranks for income and college education. The link to the application is here: Washington: A world apart | The Washington Post
Cool! It tells you at a glance how prosperous a section of town is.

However, as others have noted, a Zip code may encompass a large swath of land covering many subdivisions, and there may be a large disparity within it. I looked at some and found some very interesting statistics. For example, I compare Zip A, which is a part of a well-known well-to-do town inside my metropolitan area, and Zip B which is a smaller Zip code near where I live.

Zip A: Score 97, Median Income $117K, College graduate 68%
Zip B: Score 97, Median Income $121K, College graduate 65%

I would not think Zip B would score as high as Zip A. But then Zip B is a small and more uniform area, so scores high although driving by it one would not be so impressed as with Zip A. Most people do not even know about this little area.

So, I looked at Zillow, and it gives another reason why Zip A looks more impressive. Most expensive home for sale in Zip A: $30M. Most expensive home for sale in Zip B: $6.7M. It's the most expensive homes in an area that attracts attention, and gives an area its reputation.

PS. Similarly, if one were to show average income rather than media income, I am willing to bet Zip A would pull ahead by a big margin. When a town has a billionaire or two, it drives up the average by a huge amount. And everyone would hear about where that billionaire took residence.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #46

My zip is 87.

The poll shows that ERers tend to live in wealthy communities. I conclude that you have to be well paid to save enough to ER.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
You people are lucky. When I was a young boy we were too poor to have a zip code.
Me too. I was born in the UK before we had post codes, name, street, town and county worked fine.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
The poll shows that ERers tend to live in wealthy communities. I conclude that you have to be well paid to save enough to ER.
And we should remember that when we ask why the average Joe cannot retire early. It's tough to ER, unless one has a pension or makes enough to save a lot.

Hence, I am more interested to hear stories of people who can retire early with an average income.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

We're at 90. The place where I grew up (on the other side of the country) is 90. But DW's hometown was 64, so I guess she's a social climber. I just never saw that side of her before.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
I don't think you can draw any conclusions from the poll without a little bit more information. The zip codes are just rank-ordered, there's no linkage to the populations. It's possible (and I think likely) that the lower-ranking zip codes are rural and that fewer people live in them. Conversely, more people will be concentrated in the higher-ranking zip codes. So, like Lake Wobegon, most of America (and most American ER's) will be above average. Or at least they'll live in above average zip codes.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

House in Chicago MSA is a 54. Condo in Scottsdale is 87. Glad its in the poor side of town
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I moved from a 96 (new york) to a 52 (small town) when I quit my day job. I saved about 10x more now I did then.
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

28 Moving on up.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
My zip is not in the data base! One nearby is 13. I was going for low score here.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #55

Yea, it's up there. And just this morning I figured out if I dump this place in the next couple of years instead of waiting 5 years as I have planned, I will have more than hit my "number". I'll let the trendies who are clamoring to get into this hood pay top dollar while I downsize. VG FP, ORP, FIRECALC and FIDO all say if I sell soon I'll have several hundred thousand $ at plan end vs. close to 0 if I wait 5 years. As my intention is to die owing somebody something, this is a very good feeling.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #56
Confused about dryer sheets

83 and that is in an oasis...
NosmoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in a 41 and work in a 94. It's a really tiny 94 though (pretty much a town that is owned by a big company), and the whole surrounding area is in the 20's.
zesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
My zip is not in the data base!
This reminded me of a place called Buford in Wyoming. It consists of 10 acres of land, had its own ZIP code of 82052, and its own post office that closed in 2004. During the construction of the Transcontinental Railroad, 2000 railroad workers called the place home.

See: Buford, Wyoming: Meet the Only Resident of America's Smallest Town | TIME.com.

The owner sold the whole town for $900K in 2012.

The most recent sign shows a 100% gain in population. Perhaps the new owner is married, while the previous one was a widower.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Grew up - 80
Live now - 95
A place I enjoyed living - 69
aim-high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #60
Administrator

We were living in a 44 and retired to a 95. Median income is 3 times higher in our new location. Our Household income where we worked for 17 years was 6 times higher than the median where we used to live. No wonder we able to LBYM and RE.