Votes: 143 87.7%
  • Lease

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Both

Votes: 13 8.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
There seem to be some common elements here on the forum.

This type of strategy:

and having plenty of money in retirement.

That strategy actually has cost me a lot more money with repair and maintenance.. not to mention the time off from work .. and how much money that has costs me..

Agree with you, everyone has their own style - and then also need to adjust your style based on the style of the salesperson you are dealing with. No one size fits all for sure. I'm willing to give a number to the salesperson but it's slightly lower than I was willing to accept. If they agree, then cool, if not then I still have done my homework and know where I want to be.
Yes. There are some fundamental things, too. Like a good negotiator will check his/her ego at the door and will usually have the goal of being underestimated. I can steal a lot or salami in slices too small to fight over, particularly if the guy on the other side of the table is snoozing. So in most cases I am quite happy to "look like a clown."

We have an elderly friend, kind of an honorary aunt, who wanted to buy a new Toyota a few years ago. I spent about 1/2 hour teaching her a simple ego-less technique called "absent authority" negotiating. By the time she was done she had saved several thousand $$ vs the dealer's first offer and in the end she didn't even pay the standard documentation fee. They never knew what hit them.

I had a business friend, worth well north of $10M, whose whose whole persona was built around this. One evening I had to attend a city council meeting to deal with some kind of issue with our business. Jim was there seeking a variance on one of his many properties. He stood there in black low-cut work shoes with thick rubber soles, white socks, one of those Sears grey/green work shirts with matching pants and with a wild head of white hair that looked like he cut it himself. The council immediately gave the "nice old man" what he asked for. Had he come in wearing at $1000 suit, flanked by a couple lawyers and pounding his chest they would have thrown him out on his a$$. Fun to watch and learn from.

Back
Top Bottom