Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your expected or actual monthly retirement income from all sources?
4k or less 57 16.38%
5k 38 10.92%
6k 36 10.34%
7k 39 11.21%
8k 39 11.21%
9k 24 6.90%
10k or more 115 33.05%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: monthly retirement income
Old 03-29-2017, 10:47 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Poll: monthly retirement income

Having set a monthly income number for my retirement plans, I am curious where others on this forum stand ... both pre and post retirement. I realize that everyone's situation is different, but thought it would be interesting anyway.
steadystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2017, 11:13 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A married couple each with their own SS income can get together up to $7,000 a month from SS alone.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:29 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Wow, after looking at the choices, now I'm feeling poor.

FIRECalc says I can spend more than my income, though I haven't done that so far.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:42 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
A married couple each with their own SS income can get together up to $7,000 a month from SS alone.
I would think this is pretty rare. Even 5K per month is fairly high end for two.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Although I did vote, it is probably more meaningful to say that we have benefited from a pair of high incomes and plan to start retirement spending right at 33% of our present income, with variable spending approach. On a net-of-tax basis, that will be more than we presently spend.

(And +1 to LOL!'s observation on what SS Law presently would provide for dual high-earners who delay to 70; if law doesn't change drastically, icing on cake.)
Old 03-29-2017, 12:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
(And +1 to LOL!'s observation on what SS Law presently would provide for dual high-earners who delay to 70; if law doesn't change drastically, icing on cake.)
I was just updating our SS info yesterday and it says that we should be pulling in around $87K from SS in 2031 (when we both are taking it).

Needless to day, we haven't started picking out what we're going to spend that on yet.

It is a good fall back plan though.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:35 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm the poll starter. I am surprised at the somewhat uniform distribution, also I wish I'd put more choices above 10k to sort out the high rollers ...
steadystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:47 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

At 5400/month I am feeling poor here too. But a third of that goes away when I decide to stop working p.t.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:56 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I understand if you spouse dies than you could lose 1/2 of your SS income.
INTJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:07 PM   #10

It has been variable over the last 14 years I've been retired. The pension dropped by the expected amount of SS at age 62, but since I'd found an easy job I held off on SS until FRA and that increased SS by a goodly amount, and it'll go up again when DW hits her FRA. She'll take a heavy hit assuming I go first because the pension drops by 30% and of course my SS will stop too. No cat food for her though, she'll still be comfy.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:09 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

We left our pensions to each other 100% and my working for a university that does not pay into SS so my piddly SS is not increasing. But on the plus side it will be no big deal to lose SS when one of us dies.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:26 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Dude it's pretty much all high rollers on this board.
https://www.aei.org/publication/u-s-...ll-that-a-win/
The U.S., with a median retiree income of $26,250, is third in the world and on par with Switzerland, Canada, and Austria.

If I don't Rothify I'll probably see both ends, one pre and the other post SS+RMDs.
dunkelblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:42 PM   #13

Luxembourg is a tiny country according to the link above. USA probably has the largest population.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:10 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arky View Post
I would think this is pretty rare. Even 5K per month is fairly high end for two.
It partly depends where you live during your working years. It is probably not too rare in higher cost of living parts of the country.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:11 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

2 days to RE but 2 young for SS. 8K
Old 03-29-2017, 02:48 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

My Ipad doesnt show a poll with app. Or Im too dumb to know how to find it. I have about $6700 a month income coming in each month in retirement for a single guy. I dont even count my investment income as it just gets reinvested and never touched. I dont even come close to spending my pension income so there is no reason to even bother figuring what the investments would give to me each month. A simple life in a low COL area.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wow, after looking at the choices, now I'm feeling poor.
Me too! I fall very easily into the <4K category (less than half of it, actually), reinforcing the belief that I am one of the paupers of this board. Thank you for tolerating my presence, y'all

However, I am rich of heart. I have a bicycle, 3 lovely kitties, a full set of teeth, and very low rent for the area. What more could a guy need?

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:03 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Expected well over 10k, actual depends on how my investments are doing.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:17 PM   #19

Define Income. My regular predictable income from Pension + Interest + Dividends is less than $5K / month as is my typical spending, but my NW typically grows a lot more than this (and occasionally shrinks a lot more too) depending on market performance. Not sure how you would like to count this. Annual average return?
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:25 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
2 days to RE but 2 young for SS. 8K

Getting awful close to quitting time, doctor. Exciting! Where will you live in retirement? Asked because I know just about every square mile of Michigan, and there are some mighty fine retirement options there.
1-31-18 is offline   Reply With Quote