Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What will be the direction of the next change in the Federal Funds Rate?
Increase 56 80.00%
Decrease 14 20.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Poll:next change in Federal Funds Rate
Old 05-05-2023, 03:00 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Poll:next change in Federal Funds Rate

Fed watchers: here's your chance to predict the direction of the next change in the Federal Funds Rate. Timing and magnitude are excluded.

Some of us lived through the inflation battle of the late '70s / early '80s, and some of us didn't. Is 5 to 5.25% really enough?
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2023, 03:06 PM   #2
Administrator

If by “other” you mean “hold” or “no change”, that would be my choice.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 03:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
If by “other” you mean “hold” or “no change”, that would be my choice.
other = "don't understand the question", etc.

I can't edit the poll. If you'd like to delete the 'other' option to avoid confusion, that's fine.
Old 05-05-2023, 03:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
If you'd like to delete the 'other' option to avoid confusion, that's fine.
I did so. Since you asked for the direction of the next change, there were really only two options.
Old 05-05-2023, 03:39 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is there a way to vote using the mobile app? FWIW unless you format the title “Poll: ….” there is no way to even know it’s a poll if you are using the app, or am I missing something? I’m accessing the forum via the app 90% of the time these days.
Old 05-05-2023, 03:46 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I can't vote since there isn't a "hold" option. It's to early to tell but if I had to "guess" at this time, I'd say they will take a pause. Matter of fact, at this time, I suspect they hold rates where they are until 4q23, then maybe start ticking down slowly.
Old 05-05-2023, 04:12 PM   #7

I didn’t vote as there was no third option for no change.
disneysteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 04:26 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

If I read the post correctly, we are being asked to predict the next *change*.

No change is not a change.

Notice that next change could occur next meeting, in 6 months, 2 years, etc.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 05:11 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I did so. Since you asked for the direction of the next change, there were really only two options.
A vector is both a direction and a magnitude. If the magnitude is zero, the direction could be either up or down or both. So I choose both directions and zero magnitude at the next Fed meeting.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:15 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Increase. 25 bps.

Unless the Congresscritters screw the pooch and the US defaults on its debt... the chaos that would cause would be equivalent to a 50 bps increase or more.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 09:07 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yep, you should have added a third option. My money is on no change either way. It's a safe political move by the Feds even though it'll hurt the recovery in the long run.
Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 10:58 PM   #12

No offense, but it's surprising to see there are actually votes predicting rate cuts already.

So many people were really spoiled by this past decade's rock bottom rates and think that's normal.

I expect the Fed to hold, but I think the Fed should keep raising rates to crush inflation, recession or no recession.
luckydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 11:22 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I voted a decrease. But even as a relentless optimist I would not be surprised if they increased it a bit more, either now or in six months.

What I really think is that they'll hold at the current level until we're definitely in a recession, then cut. That could be six months from now. Another possibility is that they hold until inflation cries uncle and we risk deflation, then cut. That could be a year from now.

In other words, it will fluctuate.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 11:23 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I voted a decrease. But even as a relentless optimist I would not be surprised if they increased it a bit more, either now or in six months.

What I really think is that they'll hold at the current level until we're definitely in a recession, then cut. That could be six months from now. Another possibility is that they hold until inflation cries uncle and we risk deflation, then cut. That could be a year from now.

In other words, it will fluctuate.
J.P. Morgan in our midst.
Old 05-06-2023, 02:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
If I read the post correctly, we are being asked to predict the next *change*. No change is not a change. Notice that next change could occur next meeting, in 6 months, 2 years, etc.
Exactly. This isn't a poll regarding the interest rate decision at the next meeting of the FOMC. There will indeed be three options at that meeting: no change, increase, or decrease.

Since the current consensus prediction for the June FOMC meeting seems to be "no change", I didn't bother running a poll for this - not very interesting.
Old 05-06-2023, 09:10 AM   #16

OP should have anticipated the confusion among others and provided more clarification. But it's not unusual to see problems in the polls' questioning or options available.
GenXguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 09:20 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake3287 View Post
Yep, you should have added a third option. My money is on no change either way. It's a safe political move by the Feds even though it'll hurt the recovery in the long run.
What recovery do you mean? Recession has not started. Market usually bottoms months after start.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 07:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
What recovery do you mean? Recession has not started. Market usually bottoms months after start.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding.
Actually, being in a recession is very debatable at this point but yes, I worded it wrong, I was referring to getting the inflation rate down.
Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 07:31 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I voted increase.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 06:13 AM   #20

As usual, the results of a poll are different than I expected. I predicted that the voting would run about 25% increase, 75% decrease. Instead, the opposite occurred.

Here is a recent article on this subject (biased toward increase) for the Fed watchers among us.