41-50% 8 6.45%
51-60% 3 2.42%
Greater than 61% 10 8.06%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Percent of Largest Holding
Old 07-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Poll: Percent of Largest Holding

What percentage is the largest holding in your stock market portfolio? And, for extra credit, just what is this stock, ETF or mutual fund?

There was a thread similar to this a while ago, but it dealt specifically with stocks and did not include ETF's or mutual funds.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2017, 01:17 PM   #2

13% in SDY (S&P Dividend payers ETF). Nothing else I own comes close in terms of % of Portfolio. Which makes me think I have too many issues - but selling and putting the funds into something "better" would trigger significant capital gains tax so I'll sell little by little as part of my rebalancing.

Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:17 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have one main bond fund which is about 34% of my total portfolio.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:24 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

VTSAX is ~36% of my total portfolio.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:26 PM   #5

IDK the percentage exactly at this point, but its VIOO 40% ish?
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:36 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Good poll!

My largest holding is BRK, and it is still less than 5% of total portfolio. BRK being a conglomerate is closer to a MF than an individual stock. By the same token, earlier posters who have a big position in a mutual or index fund do not take the same risk as someone with a large chunk of an individual company.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:47 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
What percentage is the largest holding in your stock market portfolio? And, for extra credit, just what is this stock, ETF or mutual fund?

There was a thread similar to this a while ago, but it dealt specifically with stocks and did not include ETF's or mutual funds.
Prior to FIRE last December, APPLE was 80% of my taxable account and 25% of my total.

I diversified in Jan of this year.
bw5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:53 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Vested stock options from my employer are worth 1/4 of my NW. I'm trying to diversify out of it but being in the 50% marginal tax bracket is making me cringe every time I sell some.
Toocold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:58 PM   #9

Vxus. 8%
Old 07-04-2017, 01:58 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I first purchased PIXR and later added DIS to the portfolio. Oh, I also had MVL, but sold it prior to the merge. Over the years, I've sold shares because of the % and I'm looking at doing so again because it's over 20% again.
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:02 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Good poll!

My largest holding is BRK, and it is still less than 5% of total portfolio. BRK being a conglomerate is closer to a MF than an individual stock. By the same token, earlier posters who have a big position in a mutual or index fund do not take the same risk as someone with a large chunk of an individual company.
+1 BRK is our largest single holding at 3% with a utility company, CPK, running neck & neck on any given day. I am not suggesting/recommending anyone pick individual stocks but it's amazing how these two holdings have grown over the years. We've trimmed both several times and they continue to outpace many of the other stocks and ETF's we own.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:04 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Just my opinion, but this is kinda bogus when you include ETFs and mutual funds...

You can be totally diversified with just 2 funds (heck if you go Wellington or Wellesley some will say 1 fund)....

So, I can have 60% in one fund and it means nothing....

But, if I have 60% in one STOCK it means a lot...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:08 PM   #13

32% in several S&P 500 equivalents.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #14

69.88% in VTSAX. Basically what TexasProud said in #12.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:16 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

My portfolio is entirely mutual funds, and I have a rule (that I made by myself, for myself) that I can not have more than 30% in any one mutual fund.

So, I have 30% in Wellesley (VWIAX), of course!

I am turning 70 next year, and one of these days I might revamp my portfolio a little to make it more suitable for me now that I am getting older. If/when I do, I might allow myself to hold a little higher percentage in Wellesley than 30%, following the lead of some of those posting above.

― Percy Bysshe Shelley
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:16 PM   #16

6.5% in a former employer.

Until two years ago we were still accumulating this stock faster than we could sell it off because of ESPP, options and restricted grants. We've got plans to diversify more over the next 5 years now that the tax hits are lower in retirement.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:21 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
+1 BRK is our largest single holding at 3% with a utility company, CPK, running neck & neck on any given day. I am not suggesting/recommending anyone pick individual stocks but it's amazing how these two holdings have grown over the years. We've trimmed both several times and they continue to outpace many of the other stocks and ETF's we own.
Can't get the "edit" feature to work so I'm quoting myself to clarify and further define what I mean by "grown over the years"

For both BRK(B) and CPK our cost basis dates back to the early 2000 time frame. As I said, we've added and sold during that time but our cost basis is way lower than current market price. We're essentially "playing" with the house's money at this point, to use a phrase common in gambling. I don't consider this gambling but some people might. Regardless, since early 2000 the growth of BRK(B) and CPK have far outpaced common stock indexes.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:26 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

It won't tell you much in my case because my fixed assets are much less diverse than my equity holdings. But...
  1. 17.8% VBTLX
  2. 14.3% VFSUX
  3. 10.9% VTMGX
  4. 10.5% VTSAX
However 41% of my AA is domestic equity, presumably you wouldn't assume that from my top 3...

And I don't have any balanced or active funds, but I'd be completely comfortable with a much larger chunk in a balanced fund like Wellesley or Wellington. Income taxes prevent me from simplifying quickly.

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:00 PM   #19

The wording on the poll is a little unclear - what percentage is the largest . . . in your stock market portfolio. But I see responses quoting percentage of total portfolio. So the poll may be skewed.

I responded as a percentage of my total portfolio: 20% in SNFX Schwab 1000 Index Fund, a mutual fund. But this holding is about 35% of my stock portfolio.

What did you intend to measure?
Old 07-04-2017, 03:04 PM   #20
Administrator

Our largest holding is 18% in a fixed income mutual fund.

MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote