Votes: 8 6.5%
  • 51-60%

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Greater than 61%

Votes: 10 8.1%

• Total voters

redduck

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
What percentage is the largest holding in your stock market portfolio? And, for extra credit, just what is this stock, ETF or mutual fund?

There was a thread similar to this a while ago, but it dealt specifically with stocks and did not include ETF's or mutual funds.

Last edited:
13% in SDY (S&P Dividend payers ETF). Nothing else I own comes close in terms of % of Portfolio. Which makes me think I have too many issues - but selling and putting the funds into something "better" would trigger significant capital gains tax so I'll sell little by little as part of my rebalancing.

I have one main bond fund which is about 34% of my total portfolio.

Good poll!

My largest holding is BRK, and it is still less than 5% of total portfolio. BRK being a conglomerate is closer to a MF than an individual stock. By the same token, earlier posters who have a big position in a mutual or index fund do not take the same risk as someone with a large chunk of an individual company.

What percentage is the largest holding in your stock market portfolio? And, for extra credit, just what is this stock, ETF or mutual fund?

There was a thread similar to this a while ago, but it dealt specifically with stocks and did not include ETF's or mutual funds.

Prior to FIRE last December, APPLE was 80% of my taxable account and 25% of my total.

I diversified in Jan of this year.

Vested stock options from my employer are worth 1/4 of my NW. I'm trying to diversify out of it but being in the 50% marginal tax bracket is making me cringe every time I sell some.

I first purchased PIXR and later added DIS to the portfolio. Oh, I also had MVL, but sold it prior to the merge. Over the years, I've sold shares because of the % and I'm looking at doing so again because it's over 20% again.

Good poll!

My largest holding is BRK, and it is still less than 5% of total portfolio. BRK being a conglomerate is closer to a MF than an individual stock. By the same token, earlier posters who have a big position in a mutual or index fund do not take the same risk as someone with a large chunk of an individual company.

+1 BRK is our largest single holding at 3% with a utility company, CPK, running neck & neck on any given day. I am not suggesting/recommending anyone pick individual stocks but it's amazing how these two holdings have grown over the years. We've trimmed both several times and they continue to outpace many of the other stocks and ETF's we own.

Just my opinion, but this is kinda bogus when you include ETFs and mutual funds...

You can be totally diversified with just 2 funds (heck if you go Wellington or Wellesley some will say 1 fund)....

So, I can have 60% in one fund and it means nothing....

But, if I have 60% in one STOCK it means a lot...

32% in several S&P 500 equivalents.

69.88% in VTSAX. Basically what TexasProud said in #12.

My portfolio is entirely mutual funds, and I have a rule (that I made by myself, for myself) that I can not have more than 30% in any one mutual fund.

So, I have 30% in Wellesley (VWIAX), of course! :)

I am turning 70 next year, and one of these days I might revamp my portfolio a little to make it more suitable for me now that I am getting older. If/when I do, I might allow myself to hold a little higher percentage in Wellesley than 30%, following the lead of some of those posting above.

Last edited:
6.5% in a former employer.

Until two years ago we were still accumulating this stock faster than we could sell it off because of ESPP, options and restricted grants. We've got plans to diversify more over the next 5 years now that the tax hits are lower in retirement.

+1 BRK is our largest single holding at 3% with a utility company, CPK, running neck & neck on any given day. I am not suggesting/recommending anyone pick individual stocks but it's amazing how these two holdings have grown over the years. We've trimmed both several times and they continue to outpace many of the other stocks and ETF's we own.

Can't get the "edit" feature to work so I'm quoting myself to clarify and further define what I mean by "grown over the years"

For both BRK(B) and CPK our cost basis dates back to the early 2000 time frame. As I said, we've added and sold during that time but our cost basis is way lower than current market price. We're essentially "playing" with the house's money at this point, to use a phrase common in gambling. I don't consider this gambling but some people might. Regardless, since early 2000 the growth of BRK(B) and CPK have far outpaced common stock indexes.

It won't tell you much in my case because my fixed assets are much less diverse than my equity holdings. But...
  1. 17.8% VBTLX
  2. 14.3% VFSUX
  3. 10.9% VTMGX
  4. 10.5% VTSAX
However 41% of my AA is domestic equity, presumably you wouldn't assume that from my top 3...

And I don't have any balanced or active funds, but I'd be completely comfortable with a much larger chunk in a balanced fund like Wellesley or Wellington. Income taxes prevent me from simplifying quickly.

Last edited:
The wording on the poll is a little unclear - what percentage is the largest . . . in your stock market portfolio. But I see responses quoting percentage of total portfolio. So the poll may be skewed.

I responded as a percentage of my total portfolio: 20% in SNFX Schwab 1000 Index Fund, a mutual fund. But this holding is about 35% of my stock portfolio.

What did you intend to measure?

Our largest holding is 18% in a fixed income mutual fund.

35% in IWDA. That's a lookalike for Vanguard VT.

I'd like to boost that above 50%, maybe even to 100%

MADVX (Black Rock Equity Dividend Fund)- 10% of total portfolio.

I'm similar to Michael... 19% in a guaranteed income fund in the 401k.

The wording on the poll is a little unclear - what percentage is the largest . . . in your stock market portfolio. But I see responses quoting percentage of total portfolio. So the poll may be skewed.

I responded as a percentage of my total portfolio: 20% in SNFX Schwab 1000 Index Fund, a mutual fund. But this holding is about 35% of my stock portfolio.

What did you intend to measure?

I was intending to measure the largest holding (as a percent) of an investor's total investments which was to include all the investor's accounts after being added together. Your first guess was what I was looking for. Plus you get extra credit for identifying your specific holding (SNFX Schwab 1000 Index Fund).

Let's try it this way: An investor has three separate accounts totaling $100. One of those accounts has $40 of SNFX, another account has $20 of SNFX and the third account has $0.00 SNFX. So, there is a total of $60 of SNFX which would make the investor's largest holding be at 60%.

If I screwed up the math, the percentage, the terminology please, anybody, make corrections.

Back
Top Bottom