Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What percent is cash of your invested assets & cash?
Less than 0.5% including negative cash 10 5.56%
Less than 1.0% 5 2.78%
Less than 2.5% 13 7.22%
Less than 5.0% 23 12.78%
Less than 10.0% 46 25.56%
Less than 20.0% 42 23.33%
Less than 50.0% 23 12.78%
50.0% or more 17 9.44%
Something else, but I wanted to answer anyways 1 0.56%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2016, 04:37 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
In Canada we have $1 and $2 dollar coins though. Hard to ignore these entirely.
You are so lucky (along with Europeans)! I wish the USA would follow suit.

When I travel, I make it a practice to keep the 1 and 2 coins in one pocket, and smaller denominations in another. The aim is always to maintain the lowest number of coins in each pocket, and it's surprisingly easy.

OTOH, at home I have to always stuff the $1 and $5 bills in my wallet and then sort them so they're in order. What a nuisance.

Still, we're lucky compared to some countries. I well remember living through the South American hyperinflation times when the smallest Brazilian bill in my wallet was 5,000 and when I was in Peru workers were getting paid 2 or 3 times a day so they could spend it before it lost too much value.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2016, 12:39 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

When I travel, I make it a practice to keep the 1 and 2 coins in one pocket, and smaller denominations in another. The aim is always to maintain the lowest number of coins in each pocket, and it's surprisingly easy.

OTOH, at home I have to always stuff the $1 and $5 bills in my wallet and then sort them so they're in order. What a nuisance.
Interesting, I really don't like the feeling of coins jangling around in my pockets. I take them out or give the to my DW as soon as possible. When we are in Arizona my wallet gets a lot thicker. Hurts my back when I sit on it in the car.

Canadian money is so much more colourful and durable than US cash. Way thinner too.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:43 AM   #43

Quote:
Canadian money is so much more colourful and durable than US cash. Way thinner too.
And apparently influential.

I got some of the new £5 notes in London last month. Plastic and smaller, similar to Canadian notes.

Since the Canadian notes smell kinda like maple syrup, I was curious about the English ones. Maybe they would smell like tea? But alas, odor-free as far as I could tell. A good move, and they will gradually be replacing all denominations with the new type.,
Old 11-29-2016, 06:34 AM   #44

Quote:
And apparently influential.

I got some of the new £5 notes in London last month. Plastic and smaller, similar to Canadian notes.

Since the Canadian notes smell kinda like maple syrup, I was curious about the English ones. Maybe they would smell like tea? But alas, odor-free as far as I could tell. A good move, and they will gradually be replacing all denominations with the new type.,
Maple syrup? Looks like we will eventually have "plastic" cash in many places. Maybe even in the US? Naw, sounds too much like a conspiracy.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:43 AM   #45

We're still w*rking and are 90/10 with only .81% cash. In FIRE in a few years from now, "Audrey's Plan" above is most appealing to me, i.e. a Fixed Percentage Safe Withdrawal Strategy and stacking up excess cash in the bull markets for use in the bear markets.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:05 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
US bills are well-known for smelling like cocaine.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:35 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Canadian notes smell kinda like maple syrup
I have noticed that bills here in New Orleans frequently stink of cheap perfume. It's very strong and pretty disgusting, really. Gives a new meaning to "filthy lucre".

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:34 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

You guys have too much time on your hands .... smelling your cash.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
You guys have too much time on your hands .... smelling your cash.
And I always thought the term "the smell of money" was a little less literal. Maybe not.

Actually, I just smelled a bunch of Canadian cash and it does smell slightly sweat, not unlike maple syrup. Go figure.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:15 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

That's it: I'm making pancakes w/ maple syrup for lunch. Thanks for the suggestion.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:46 PM   #51

Quote:
And I always thought the term "the smell of money" was a little less literal. Maybe not.

Actually, I just smelled a bunch of Canadian cash and it does smell slightly sweat, not unlike maple syrup. Go figure.
I'm surprised you hadn't heard of that. I can definitely smell a vaguely maple-like aroma in a new Canadian bill.

Does our money smell like maple syrup? - National | Globalnews.ca

New Canadian Money Smells Like Syrup, Melts in Heat - ABC News

https://www.thestar.com/business/201...ple_syrup.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoStupidQue...dge_that_your/
Old 11-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #52
Administrator

Quote:

Did you mean to say "of sweat"? That I can believe. At least plastic bills shouldn't absorb sweat and whatever else folks have on their hands.

I still have a plastic $5 Australian note from our visit there in 1997. I was so impressed that I decided to hang onto a souvenir.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:54 PM   #53
Administrator

Quote:
Those stories sound a bit loonie if you ask me ..
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:05 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Did you mean to say "of sweat"? That I can believe. At least plastic bills shouldn't absorb sweat and whatever else folks have on their hands.

I still have a plastic $5 Australian note from our visit there in 1997. I was so impressed that I decided to hang onto a souvenir.
You are right, thanks. , I meant sweet. They don't absorb sweat to my knowledge. They don't melt in regular (even Arizona) heat. These bills really are superior. Hopefully they get wider adoption.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Old 11-29-2016, 03:04 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Sometimes I feel I should get business cards printed up with my title as Professional Straight Man.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:02 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm 25% in cash. Partly in response to Warren Buffet's advice during 2014, I kept value in low-interest cash rather than bonds. Warren's prediction that bond interest rates would eventually head up eventually came true, though it took longer than expected.

I plan to start moving value from cash accounts into bonds over the next few months.
lawman3966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:14 AM   #58

Still waiting for that to happen in Euros ..
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote