Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Percentage of smallest holding in your overall portfolio?
less than 1% 47 55.95%
over 1%, less than 2% 10 11.90%
over 2%, less than 5% 14 16.67%
over 5%, less than 10% 8 9.52%
over 10% 5 5.95%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2017, 09:03 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Am I missing something? The math in many of the responses here doesn't seem consistent with how we generally think about diversification, does it?

We consider a broad-based index fund (like SPY or VTSMX or BND) to be diversified right? So if our smallest fund is say, 20% of our overall portfolio, then our smallest holding is the smallest holding in that fund, times 0.20 of our holding in the fund. Likely to be minuscule.

But it seems like people are treating an investment in a fund as one big glob. But that's way different from the same % in a single stock.

So I won't calculate my smallest holding, it is tiny.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2017, 09:27 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

5% in vwo, which is emerging equity. Technically I hold to boost my overall emerging exposure to a total of 10% because i have much larger index holdings that are partially emerging(veu,vss).
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:26 AM   #23

My individual stock portfolio (~30% of total NW) goes in 1% increments up to max 4% per stock, with an aim to have around 10 positions.

If I would stop doing individual the smallest position would be 8%, an emerging markets ETF.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:14 AM   #24

0.025% (one quarter of one tenth of one percent) of total household assets.

I allow myself up to 3-4 small highly speculative investments as a valve against doing stupid things with meaningful amounts of money - at least that's the theory Currently I have only one (an Australian biotech) and, yes, it's gambling.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:57 AM   #25

I have a very small percentage (<2%) of our portfolio assigned to "speculation".

If I ignore that, our smallest holding is about 7%.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:15 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I own no mutual funds. Individual stocks are 20% of my NW. Individual stocks within this group range from just under 1% to 9.9% of the individual stock portfolio.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:29 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Am I missing something? The math in many of the responses here doesn't seem consistent with how we generally think about diversification, does it?
-
I think the OP was after the smallest % that the investor decides to hold. They have the holding for its performance not its components.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:35 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I think the OP was after the smallest % that the investor decides to hold. They have the holding for its performance not its components.
That was my take, too. I didn't include the small amount in my local bank's checking account because it is a condition to keeping the hub account open and free of any monthly fees. It doesn't generate any investment earnings. Simply avoiding any fees could be considered "earnings" but I don't consider that in the equation.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:40 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
I have a very small percentage (<2%) of our portfolio assigned to "speculation".

If I ignore that, our smallest holding is about 7%.
I'm still in accumulation stage and was advised to have 1 or 2 small holdings in a speculative stock. That's my play money and won't hurt me if it goes south.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:46 AM   #30

I have a few managed funds as well as individual stocks, all bought in the 80s and 90s in my taxable account, that I am holding until I retire to avoid capital gains taxes. Now I am strictly an index fund investor, so these "legacy" holdings have become a very small part of my portfolio over time.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:47 AM   #31

My smallest holding is my biggest loser, Vanguard's Precious Metal and Mining Fund, approximately 0.9% of my portfolio. I plan to divest myself of it when I need capital losses to offset capital gains next year.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:03 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

3% in megacorp company stock which happens to be my only single stock. My 401k matching funds are in the form of company stock so i will have a percentage in it until retirement.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:07 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
But I guess I don't see the sense in the distinction. I don't buy SPY or BND for being SPY and BND, I buy SPY and BND to get exposure to all their components.

It's not like SPY represents a single holding, it represents all it's holdings. I just don't see how looking at it any other way does anything useful. With that view, I could hold two different S&P500 funds/ETFs and ignore that they really are essentially the same investment? Makes no sense to me.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:21 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zona View Post
I have .37% invested in VOO (most of the rest of our portfolio is in other funds, like SPY or EAFE). The reason I put some in VOO is because a few years ago I received a small inheritance from an aunt. We don't need that money, so I wanted to invest/set it aside for my young/future nieces and nephews. Having it "separate" just helps me with the mental accounting to keep the initial investment earmarked along with any growth. There's probably a better way to do it, but that's what I came up with at the time. I have maybe one other fund like this that is also <1% of the portfolio.

I'm open to suggestions if there's a better way to track something like this without doing a bunch of math, lol.
Open an account at a different brokerage, and transfer "IN KIND" the money there. If it's enough, they will even give you a bonus few hundred for the effort.

Then you can diversify it a little more without worrying about mixing it with your other money.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:22 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Holding 1% of a diversified MF or ETF may not make sense. Suppose that the rest of your stock is in S&P, and the S&P goes up 5%, and this bitty component beats the S&P by 25% and goes up to 6.25%. Then, your entire stock AA goes up 0.99*5% + 0.01*6.25 = 5.0125%.

That extra 0.0125% means $125 for each $1M in your portfolio. Is it worthwhile? I guess it depends on the investor.

As for me, if I buy this MF because I think it is going to beat the S&P or because I want a bit more concentration in a particular sector or if I want to do buy low/sell high with rebalancing, I would not place such a bitty bet.

Of course 1% in individual stocks or specialized ETFs can pack a punch. They can lose 1/2 the value, or double in a year, and that means 0.5% in the value of your portfolio. That is not a small amount when one thinks of living on 3% WR.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:53 AM   #36

Cash at less than 1% sometimes up to 2% is my smallest item.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Chemours, well less that 1% - received some shares when DuPont spun them off 2 years ago. Hindsight is 20/20 , the stock is up around 250% since then. One day it will fund nice seats at an NFL game for us.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:38 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

My HSA is less than 1%, in a credit union CD. I've got a couple of other small savings accounts in banks also less than 1%. If you want to combine all cash equivalents as a single investment, or only count non-cash, I've got some between 2-5%. Equity funds only, 5-10%.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

2.70% in an age-based option inside an Idaho 529 if you want to include my kids' college accounts. 6.66% in VBTLX if you don't.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:51 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
But I guess I don't see the sense in the distinction. I don't buy SPY or BND for being SPY and BND, I buy SPY and BND to get exposure to all their components.

It's not like SPY represents a single holding, it represents all it's holdings. I just don't see how looking at it any other way does anything useful. With that view, I could hold two different S&P500 funds/ETFs and ignore that they really are essentially the same investment? Makes no sense to me.

-ERD50
OK so my smallest individual holding is 0.14% but it is direct as I do not break down my funds that way since I have no control over them. Why would I say it is a holding if it can disappear overnight without any input from me? The idea behind holding 2 different ETFs is diversity. I agree that if they have many of the same holdings, it makes no sense.