Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Primary residence(s) as a % of net worth (without primary residences)
Less than 5% 22 7.51%
6-10% 87 29.69%
11-15% 59 20.14%
16-20% 42 14.33%
21-30% 51 17.41%
31-40% 16 5.46%
More than 40% 16 5.46%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2018, 09:35 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
And I know polls here always have outliers, I don’t think I can remember one that floated through without some concerns expressed. I’ve come to expect that.
Yes I am an outlier because we rent for 5 months in one location. I am also Canadian so I am used to being an outlier on this forum.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2018, 09:44 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

We just retired in a High cost of living area and we are at about 25%.
beachfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:58 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
The home we’re considering would cost about $200K more than our current home, and that would come from our investments, reducing net worth as defined for this poll.

Thankfully the poll seems to be yielding the range of results I was expecting.

I’ve seen the debate on this forum many times, and it seems the consensus guidance here has been to not include their primary residence in net worth, at least when figuring out what you can spend in retirement - e.g. SWR. Even aside from homes, what makes up net worth for each of us can vary considerably. Those who have generous pensions and retirement health care could have a relatively lower net worth. That would have a PV/FV but I wasn’t sure everyone includes that in net worth. In any event, I was just trying to establish some basis for the poll, there are several legitimate approaches, none I know of that will work for every situation.

And I know polls here always have outliers, I don’t think I can remember one that floated through without some concerns expressed. I’ve come to expect that.
Net worth has a definition, and it includes home equity. The preference to not use net worth when talking about SWRs is because it is immaterial to the subject, since only those parts of your net worth that will provide income are applicable when calculating a SWR (and home equity is generally not an income source for most people).

For this poll, I could use my current values and get ~66%, not including pension. Or I could use the NPV of my pension and drop that number to about 25%. Or I could use my projected retirement balance without pension and get around 22%. Or I could use my projected retirement balance with pension NPV and get an even lower number.. so I don't know what to vote here. Oh, and then there's the value of my free healthcare for life to take into consideration...I think I'll just skip voting.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #64

I answered 10%, but expect the % to rise if/when I move, sell my current house and buy another (likely smaller house). Why? Because the areas I am looking at seem to be more expensive than where I currently live.

I'm always amused by the "how much house" or "how much car" can one afford. That question makes sense (particularly the house one where its expected value should go up over time around the rate of inflation) for those who are house limited by income, but doesn't make sense (to me) once one reaches a certain wealth point. I could sell a bunch of assets and buy a considerably more expensive house, but for what purpose? More to take of? Bragging rights? Living around snobby people? No thanks.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:02 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
... But if it were $10M, I would have no hesitation buying a $3M house on the waterfront on Bainbridge Island.
We're in the former, and only live in a 1240 sq ft 1950's home - plenty for DW and I. I often think we need to put more NW into our primary, but it's hard to even think about putting 30% of our NW into a home. I suppose it's just that ol LBYM habit, and the fact that that sized house would also include much more in the way of expenses. I'd rather have it in the portfolio.
I do not want a mansion, but my pipe-dream location is expensive. And on a waterfront lot, it is rare to see something less than 3,000 sq.ft.

PS. If I had $10M, I would more likely buy a $3M home than a $150K car. It's all about priority.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:33 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

For me a house has to "grab me" somehow, I have to have some emotion from it. It has to make me feel good.

And it always costs more than you want to spend yes?

And by all means, it should make you happier than where you are now or why bother?
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
If I had $10M, I would more likely buy a $3M home than a $150K car. It's all about priority.
If I had $10m, I would probably get both.

Example of home
Old 04-03-2018, 01:17 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Hey, the forum software messed up, and labeled my post as written by Midpack!

Anyway, the Vancouver $6M home makes the Bainbridge waterfront homes look like a steal.

Here's one on the market now for a mere $2.4M, with a nice view of the Seattle skyline. No-bank waterfront. Perfect for me to go crabbing, and my wife to watch me from the deck.

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Bainbridge...0/home/2140711

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-03-2018, 01:25 PM   #69
Administrator

Quote:
Hey, the forum software messed up, and labeled my post as written by Midpack!
Which post?

Edit - is it "if I had $10M"?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

It is as quoted by Kcowan in post #67.

Perhaps Kcowan did some edit, and caused the mislabeling.

Old 04-03-2018, 01:42 PM   #71
Administrator

Quote:
It is as quoted by Kcowan in post #67.

Perhaps Kcowan did some edit, and caused the mislabeling.
Got it, thanks. I did an edit to fix - no harm done.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:42 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
I'm always amused by the "how much house" or "how much car" can one afford. That question makes sense (particularly the house one where its expected value should go up over time around the rate of inflation) for those who are house limited by income, but doesn't make sense (to me) once one reaches a certain wealth point. I could sell a bunch of assets and buy a considerably more expensive house, but for what purpose? More to take of? Bragging rights? Living around snobby people? No thanks.
We simply want to move south for better weather, and a change in scenery, and it’s going to cost significantly more. After a life of LBYM, it takes a little thought for me to essentially increase our fixed costs. We’re not looking to test our financial limits at all, nor for “bragging rights” or “living around snobby people.”

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:44 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
Net worth has a definition, and it includes home equity. The preference to not use net worth when talking about SWRs is because it is immaterial to the subject, since only those parts of your net worth that will provide income are applicable when calculating a SWR (and home equity is generally not an income source for most people).
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. In retrospect I probably should have used your definition of net worth, I’m just used to thinking about net worth WRT supporting spending, which typically excludes home value. My mistake. Fortunately the poll results have served the intended purpose for me at least.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:46 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Doing the computation as specified, ours is just under 19% with the current value of our house. It would be just over 13% using our actual purchase price almost five years ago when prices were still under the influence of the real estate crash (which is why we bought then). We would likely be reluctant to buy our house now at its current value.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:59 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
If I had $10m, I would probably get both.

Example of home
That home would be around $500-600K here. Location, location, location.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:17 PM   #76

Quote:
We simply want to move south for better weather, and a change in scenery, and it’s going to cost significantly more. After a life of LBYM, it takes a little thought for me to essentially increase our fixed costs. We’re not looking to test our financial limits at all, nor for “bragging rights” or “living around snobby people.”
OP, I wasn't referring to you. I too will likely have a more expensive home if/when I move.

However, there are many people out there who do think they need to be in the "best" home and have the "best" car. They don't tend to be the same people as who post here because many here are advocates of LBYM, even after retirement.

Since people are posting houses, I'll contribute one from my recent random looking at areas around the country:https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...ct/15_zm/1_rs/
Old 04-03-2018, 04:49 PM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
I do not want a mansion, but my pipe-dream location is expensive. And on a waterfront lot, it is rare to see something less than 3,000 sq.ft.

PS. If I had $10M, I would more likely buy a $3M home than a $150K car. It's all about priority.
Agreed, and Bainbridge island is quite beautiful. I know the area from my grad school days at UDub. I would certainly put something like that above a fast car on my priority list.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:23 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Evidently we are not at that "wealth point." I would love to have more to spend on a house, although grateful to have as much as I do. The house does not need to get bigger and bigger, but there is no upper limit on desirable locations/cost thereof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
I
I'm always amused by the "how much house" or "how much car" can one afford. That question makes sense... for those who are house limited by income, but doesn't make sense (to me) once one reaches a certain wealth point. .
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:49 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Using the formula given we are at 13% total using current plausible values for our N&S homes. I keep looking, because I like real estate. Think it is funny that we have loans secured by this
https://www.zillow.com/savedhomes/fo..._zm/1_rs/1_fr/

and this

but our homes are quite modest in comparison. My dreams are something else though - bank turned down our offer on this great views home, then accepted $10k less a year later, just after we had bought our SoCal home:

More recently there was this wacky place trying to lure me - would have been a big stretch and it is very nutty, but a great location and not your normal tract home..
Old 04-03-2018, 06:03 PM   #80

Quote:
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. In retrospect I probably should have used your definition of net worth, I’m just used to thinking about net worth WRT supporting spending, which typically excludes home value. My mistake. Fortunately the poll results have served the intended purpose for me at least.
I have a cousin the Bay Area. He is retiring soon. Good state pension, but I don't think he has a large retirement account (at least by the norms on this site). Using your original basis his home is probably approaching 200% of his invested net worth (not counting the PV of pension/SS.)

But, when he retires, moves out of state, and buys a new house for 1/2 the current one, that could flip to 60%.

Your original basis was not bad, it just accentuates the cases where the house value is really high relative to investments.