Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Which method do you use?
Pull method - do draws when running low; monitor WR rate 55 40.15%
Push method - do draws on a regular basis; monitor balances 35 25.55%
I like bacon 47 34.31%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Push or pull?
Old 06-28-2019, 03:03 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: Push or pull?

Just curious about something.

I mentally categorize my financial accounts, as I think most do, into my FIRE stash on the one hand and my day-to-day banking accounts on the other hand. In my case, the former includes my IRAs and a taxable account; the latter include checking, savings, and credit card accounts.

I use what I would call the "pull method": I spend down my cash on hand until it's almost out, then I pull some money from my FIRE stash to replenish it. In other words, I do my draws on an as-needed basis. I then monitor my WR to make sure I'm maintaining in a safe range.

It occurred to me that there could be another style, which I would call the "push method": Calculate a safe WR however you like, then use that to set up a regular draw to push money from FIRE to banking on a regular basis. In other words, do withdrawals regardless of one's banking account balances. In this approach, one would monitor safety simply by monitoring the level of cash in the banking accounts - if there's plenty of cash, then you're safe; if you're running dry then you're overspending your rate.

In my case, I've thought about the push method as maybe encouraging spending more, which might be a solution to my under-spending (I'm at a 1.17% net WR today), because the decision to pull money out at a certain rate would be automatic, rather than waiting until I am running low.

Which do you do? Pros, cons, thoughts?
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2019, 03:11 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not RE yet but plan to do the push method. Setting up a regular paycheck will just make me feel better. Any unspent money will just go back into savings of some sort.

Coz
COZICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:14 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I pull out money as needed. Once or twice a year. I move it into my hisa on line account, then transfer it to my current account when I need it.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:17 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by COZICAN View Post
I'm not RE yet but plan to do the push method. Setting up a regular paycheck will just make me feel better. Any unspent money will just go back into savings of some sort.

Coz
Our approach. Each month we have an automatic transfer out of IRA's. Any excess ends up in one of our taxable accounts.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:18 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I don't really use either method the way you describe them. I am closer to the "push" method, though. I have two mutual funds which together generate dividends I automatically take as cash via ACH into my local bank account. I don't know what those amounts will until they are announced that day (such as today, the last business day of the month).

Excess dividends get reinvested somewhere, usually back into my main bond fund. Sometimes, I have to retain excess dividends to cover the lumpier expenses in later months.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:21 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I do pull - just withdraw when I run low. Primarily because I was operating on cash for the first 3 years of ER, and the past 2 years have been full of remodel projects that needed money on a sporadic basis.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:24 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I use a cash management account tied to my brokerage account. It brings everything together including credit card into one space. I have a lot of monthly interest and dividends so there is always free cash flow to reinvest or skim off the top off. I feel you pay for having too much cash as it is a drag on return. With that being said, I monitor my spend via a spreadsheet so I always know where I stand in relation to my spending goals. So I voted PULL.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:25 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Push amount with the same withdrawal each month. Very large lumpy expenses come out of an emergency account, but that's a whole other discussion.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:36 PM   #9

Both. Push for regular monthly stuff and pull for stuff like trips or major purchases. This way I have to make a conscious decision to spend money beyond the monthly stuff (because it requires a manual transfer of funds).
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:42 PM   #10

Voted bacon.

We have a push to the soulless mortgage holder (and a few utility bills) as its a fairly fixed amount. We use a pull (to the credit union) for discretionary stuff as it tends to be very lumpy.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Voted bacon.

We have a push to the soulless mortgage holder (and a few utility bills) as its a fairly fixed amount. We use a pull (to the credit union) for discretionary stuff as it tends to be very lumpy.
I voted bacon for a similar reason. We have a monthly push (not enough to cover normal spending), but then we pull additional funds as needed.

I would be comfortable just pulling as needed, but DW likes to get the "monthly paycheck".
Old 06-28-2019, 03:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
Both. Push for regular monthly stuff and pull for stuff like trips or major purchases. This way I have to make a conscious decision to spend money beyond the monthly stuff (because it requires a manual transfer of funds).

+1, same here.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:51 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Pull. Monthly expenses can easily vary by many thousands, even $10-20K when we pay for a trip. Principal reasons include travel, property, and income taxes. A car in January, a refurbished pontoon boat & new motor in May, ... Push would make no sense.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:54 PM   #14

It's not always apparent, is it?

Midvale.jpg
Old 06-28-2019, 05:03 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Push.

My income is based on the Dec 31 value of my retirement portfolio. On Jan 2 (or whenever the next market/business day is), I pull out an entire year’s worth of income - a fixed X% of the portfolio - and move it to a high yield savings account. I set aside what I have estimated as taxes I must pay throughout the year, including estimated taxes, and the remainder is available for spending throughout the year.

So you could say that my withdrawal/income drives my budget/planned spending rather than the other way around.

After the annual withdrawal I rebalance my retirement portfolio if needed. Then pretty much leave it alone.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:04 PM   #16

I pull my annual withdrawal from our IRA's and deposit to Ally. I have an automatic push coming from Ally the 15th of the month for regular expenses. Earlier this year we needed a new AC, furnace, hot water heater and sump pump, and did a pull from Ally to cover that gargantuan bill. It's working for us. I missed having a regular paycheck, and now with SS and my pension, we're in a good routine.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:11 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Another "BOTH".

I like the push method, as it is on auto-pilot for covering regular bills, plus a little to keep a buffer for the other stuff that pops up. If something happened to me, everything would just go on, auto-pay pulling, and the auto-deposit push.

If the balance gets large, visit the "Blow That Dough!" thread, or invest it. If it gets tight, think about controlling your spending and/or just pull some more to cover.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:17 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

For money coming in, which is I believe the OP was asking about, I use "push." For money going out to pay the bills, I use "pull," mostly. I use "push" for only a few things going out.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:47 PM   #19

Push it real good...... (unrelated to OP's question; just can't resist a Salt-N-Pepa reference opportunity....)
Old 06-28-2019, 06:48 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Pull mostly throughout the year, to replenish the checking account for wife to pay bills.

At the year end, if my WR is below plan I may do a push to keep the tax burden even from year to year. Or do a Roth.

This reminds me it's time for another pull. Darn, that last pull did not last long. Wife just paid those credit card bills from the long Europe road trip. Next month will be better, because there are no more large bills that are outstanding.

PS. Multiple choices should be allowed in this poll. Why can't a pusher or puller be allowed to like bacon also?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pull, push