Calendar & Corridor Asymmetric 2 2.17%
Frequent Calendar Rebalancing 3 3.26%
Frequent & Corridor Symmetric 1 1.09%
Frequent & Corridor Asymmetric 1 1.09%
Other constant mix technique 3 3.26%
Other non-constant mix technique 10 10.87%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2017, 01:41 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For us there are no tax consequences to rebalancing.

If portfolio goes to 61/39 then it is rebalanced to 60/40.
If it goes below 60% equities, I just let it ride.

For extreme economic periods like 2008, there is some extreme repositioning (market timing) based on well defined rules. Has not happened since 2009 when I did rebalance upward into 60% equities.
Lsbcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2017, 02:37 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i think i got a handle on this re-balancing thing. That being said every December when i look at whats what i decide if new money is going into stocks or bonds, a few years ago i decided the bonds interest and capital gains instead of reinvesting into the bonds i would put into the stocks, im mostly in a taxable account so only new money gets put into the re-balancing act. im not selling and getting hit with more taxes just to re-balance. Im also not withdrawing anything so my situation isnt typical retirement drawdown.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
For us there are no tax consequences to rebalancing.

If portfolio goes to 61/39 then it is rebalanced to 60/40.
If it goes below 60% equities, I just let it ride.

For extreme economic periods like 2008, there is some extreme repositioning (market timing) based on well defined rules. Has not happened since 2009 when I did rebalance upward into 60% equities.
Yes! Asymmetric!
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Rebalancing Technique
Old 05-28-2017, 04:27 AM   #24

Rebalancing Technique

I do not balance the portfolio, we are still in accumulation mode (at least for a few more months) - mainly low cost diversified funds.

My thinking...
1. I have enough in cash equivalents to carry me for a couple years of a down cycle.
2. Our portfolio is heavy in dividend funds - dividends have not proved to be quite as variable as price. Even if they dropped by 50% I could use them to stretch item #1 to last even longer.
3. We are debt free, stretch every dollar and are happily divesting ourselves of a costly 21 year old graduate. In other words spending just decreased significantly.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:05 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
I do not balance the portfolio, we are still in accumulation mode (at least for a few more months) - mainly low cost diversified funds.

My thinking...
1. I have enough in cash equivalents to carry me for a couple years of a down cycle.
2. Our portfolio is heavy in dividend funds - dividends have not proved to be quite as variable as price. Even if they dropped by 50% I could use them to stretch item #1 to last even longer.
3. We are debt free, stretch every dollar and are happily divesting ourselves of a costly 21 year old graduate. In other words spending just decreased significantly.

Sounds like you're in great shape!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post

My thinking...
Haha, regarding #3, I just thanked D2 for graduating on time because our original plan was for her to delay graduation or go to graduate school if she didn't have a job line up. Luckily she did. So the supposedly fall tuition will be going to a brand new furniture for the family room. Feel good about it.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Haha, regarding #3, I just thanked D2 for graduating on time because our original plan was for her to delay graduation or go to graduate school if she didn't have a job line up. Luckily she did. So the supposedly fall tuition will be going to a brand new furniture for the family room. Feel good about it.

The daughter will be attending grad school... on her employers dime!
Let there be dancing!
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:08 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Still in the accumulation phase - so I have not been too concerned about balance.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:58 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Frequent Calendar

Now I'm DCA'ing in proceeds from a real estate sale. Before that I rebalanced by usually not spending all of my disability benefits investing the surplus each month. I know I should get better at spending... In addition I have the VPW-money I use for other things than day to day living. Ie a new car or travel.

Only sold to rebalance once. Combined with tax loss harvesting.

When the DCA run is completed I'll probably switch to Calendar & Corridor Symmetric.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:33 PM   #30

I said assymetrical corridor and calendar since I use corridors but look in February. I did some balancing this year for the first time in 2.5 years, other than havesting biotech gains then and about 2 years ago. I am willing to overallocate/underallocate when I think values are out of wack. Right now I am overallocated to foreign/Europe, which hurt me last year and helped this year. I only allow an extra 5% however and do it rarely, usually gradually.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:33 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

So far in FIRE I have rebalanced by taking funds to live on from which ever asset class is up for that time period. Typically, that has been my modest stock funds as they have been up since the great recession. The other "stuff" is more plodding and predictable for the most part. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:35 AM   #32

This dynamic asset allocation video is from 2012. It's by a "professorial" kind of guy who explains how a static asset allocation can be improved upon by using the ratio between the PE's of two asset classes.

So this would fall under the "non constant mix" in the poll, but since the mix is not very dynamic, one might call it "corridor".

The beginning of the video is about a static asset allocation, but the link I posted starts at the point where he starts talking about dynamic asset allocation. The whole thing is worth watching, I think. It's 45 minutes or so, total, split about half on the topic of static and half on dynamic. There are a lot of numbers, so if you're not into that kind of thing, skip the video. But if you want to get an idea of how some of these asset allocations along the efficient frontier are arrived at, it's pretty enlightening.

Basically what you have for the static allocation is historical returns split into a Morningstar style box (growth/value on one axis and large/small cap on the other). Based on that, an allocation of ETF's is selected that optimize using the efficient frontier and Sharpe ratio (balancing risk (volatility) with reward (return)). In the dynamic allocation, the ratio between the 10 year PE of the Russel 1000 (large) and Russel 2000 (small) is used to flip/flop 1/3 of the portfolio to either large or small. Doing that improves expected return significantly over the static allocation model.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:38 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
... Doing that improves expected return significantly over the static allocation model.
Sorry, I did not see that in the video, although admittedly I got bored and clicked off at about the 36:00 point.

What I saw was yet another scheme based on moving averages (in this case the CAPE) that backtests well. Finding those is easy.

His scheme is also based on the assumption that small and value will continue to outperform. How many of us have to tilt toward small and value, bidding prices up, before that outperformance is negated? Fama thinks the advantage is permanent; I'm betting he is right but only with a slight tilt, because he might be wrong.

I also noticed chartsmithing that made small differences in %s or Sharpe Ratio look like big deals.

Ho. Hum. Wake me when his scheme has made a statistically significant number of successful predictions. Predictions, especially about the future, are much more difficult that tuning a scheme to get a good backtest.

Grinchie, I know. Sorry.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:03 AM   #34

Nah, grinchie is ok. I certainly agree that backtesting without principles is not helpful, this one wasn't based on who won the world series, at least.

In this case, if one was interested, they could see how this idea panned-out since the video was made (over 5 years ago).

I went out to see if I could determine what the results were for 2012 through the present, but I couldn't find the historical PE10 for the Russell 1000 and 2000.

As to "significant", that's in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. First, one would need to concede that how things moved around in the past will continue to move around like that in the future. Forget about what I'm about to say if that's not something agreeable. But I'd say 0.97% per month versus 1.11% per month is significant. That's like 2% annually.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thirdflipflop.jpg (28.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-08-2017, 10:22 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
... As to "significant", that's in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. First, one would need to concede that how things moved around in the past will continue to move around like that in the future. Forget about what I'm about to say if that's not something agreeable. But I'd say 0.97% per month versus 1.11% per month is significant. That's like 2% annually.
2% is good. I'd like that. But it is still just another successfully backtested scheme at this point.

Interestingly, neither Sharpe's CAPM nor the Fama/French 3-factor model consider P/E as a valuation parameter.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Does just having all/most of one's portfolio(s) in balanced funds count in this poll? Is that 'outsourced rebalancing'?

- Jack Bogle
Lawrence of Suburbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence of Suburbia View Post
Does just having all/most of one's portfolio(s) in balanced funds count in this poll? Is that 'outsourced rebalancing'?
That's how I see it and how I voted.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
balanced fund here
Old 06-10-2017, 01:53 PM   #38

balanced fund here

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That's how I see it and how I voted.
Then I too shall follow suit.

-gauss
gauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:01 PM   #39
gone traveling

This is too hard.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:26 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I have no f**cking idea what any of those mean .....other than no rebalancing.
Cap_Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote