Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Retired, are you rebalancing in this market?
No rebalance for me until market improves (don’t want to catch falling knife) 11 13.75%
Not yet, but I will rebalance as soon as I reach my rebalance bands, threshold, or planned date for it. 39 48.75%
Yes, I have already rebalanced as per my guidelines 21 26.25%
Im not sure what I will do at this time. 9 11.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Poll - Retired, Should I rebalance with this market?
Old 09-14-2022, 07:04 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Poll - Retired, Should I rebalance with this market?

Hello All,
I just retired in January at 58 with a 70%/30% AA.
Given the market performance, I'm now at around 64/36.
Always rebalanced during accumulation stage. But with this year so far, I'm undecided if I should do. I do plan to be always at or above 60% stock, so fully understand that volatility is part of that.

Wondering if most are holding off rebalance or just implementing their plan regardless of the level of concern with the market / economy.
Assuming you are happy with your AA and retired , have you rebalanced or intent to rebalance?
Thanks
perez99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2022, 07:59 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by perez99 View Post
Hello All,
I just retired in January at 58 with a 70%/30% AA.
Given the market performance, I'm now at around 64/36.
Always rebalanced during accumulation stage. But with this year so far, I'm undecided if I should do. I do plan to be always at or above 60% stock, so fully understand that volatility is part of that.

Wondering if most are holding off rebalance or just implementing their plan regardless of the level of concern with the market / economy.
Assuming you are happy with your AA and retired , have you rebalanced or intent to rebalance?
Thanks
I look at my AA at least annually, then I rebalance tactically.

It does not seem crazy to rebalance now, or wait till what may be lower equity prices.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 09:05 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I don’t rebalance often and will probably wait until January when I take my withdrawal. I did add to equities in June.

Do you intend to rebalance back to 70% or leave it closer to 60%? In other words what is your target allocation now that you’ve retired?
Old 09-14-2022, 09:20 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I never rebalance.

Three of my accounts are in balanced funds (VWIAX, VTTVX, DODBX), the fourth in a cash account with 3 years' living expenses, the fifth in SCHD-- all stock, that's my 'rising equities glidepath'. Or falling equities glidepath, these days.

Anyway, I leave my rebalancing chores to Vanguard and Dodge & Cox.

- Jack Bogle
Lawrence of Suburbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 09:34 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I always use bands to rebalance regardless of what markets are doing, thought that’s what they were for? That’s continuously served me very well since 1987, so why change now…

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 01:53 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I always use bands to rebalance regardless of what markets are doing, thought that’s what they were for? That’s continuously served me very well since 1987, so why change now…
Me too; although in 2018 I removed the band on the upside so I no longer re-balance out of equity.
jebmke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 03:24 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I
Do you intend to rebalance back to 70% or leave it closer to 60%? In other words what is your target allocation now that you’ve retired?
Current thinking is keep it a 70%.... Maybe too much risk... not sure. If I were to stay at 70%, then rebalance should likely be my next step..

Still considering letting it drift down to 60%.. Part of the problem is that most of my fixed income is in 401K. However my plan only have bonds funds for fixed income which I'm not so keen to get back in at this time.
Old 09-14-2022, 05:06 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I believe that it comes down to your financial situation, your personality, and your aversion to risk.

I am in my early 70's. We have not re-balanced since retiring at 58. Some rebalancing did occur as we picked up some good equities during the downturn.

I still consider both of us to have a 20 year outlook. But...a sudden market downturn of 50 percent would not impact our life...only our respective estates. This makes a difference to our risk tolerance.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 05:09 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1
Old 09-15-2022, 06:19 AM   #10

Your IPS should tell you when to rebalance. It shouldn't be a matter of opinion.
mrfeh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 06:26 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
Your IPS should tell you when to rebalance. It shouldn't be a matter of opinion.
But hold it, maybe their IPS says to consult with ER.org periodically for advice on rebalancing?

Or they are trying to craft or refine it.

In truth, everyone does not have or need an IPS though I agree it is a good idea for many folks.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 07:04 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Or they are trying to craft or refine it.
THIS!
Old 09-15-2022, 07:05 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Our "rebalance" plan is this.....

In January....if market was up for the year, we sell some stuff and take some winnings.
If market is down for the year, we hold tight.

(Looks like we are on course to "hold tight" this January)
FlaMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 07:11 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Yesterday I transferred funds within my 401k to add 2% to my stock allocation. Still at around 66% vs 70% current target. Maybe I will just slowly get into it if the market keeps going down....
Old 09-19-2022, 07:36 AM   #15

I'm in my tenth year of retirement. I have three monthly retirement income streams: pension/annuity, SS, RMD, from largest to smallest.

I have significant excess income from those streams almost every month. Beyond $10k in checking, I invest 100% of that excess income into stock index funds in my taxable account.

I don't call this rebalancing because it isn't. It's more of a transitioning process to a higher stock allocation over time...
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:36 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

In my rollover IRA, an account I am not quite yet old enough to access (and have no need to do so anyway), I have a desired AA range which I will rebalance into when it becomes significantly outside of that range. In my 14 years of retirement, the AA range has been moving gradually away from stocks and toward bonds as I have aged.

In my taxable account, I very rarely rebalance. This is because I have an income target, mostly from the bond side. It is only when I am not meeting the overall income target will I do some rebalancing to get back toward that target.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 08:45 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I have a formula that determines my target AA. The formula is based on my expected lifespan, my spending, and what AA would have resulted in maximum safety and portfolio ending balance based on historical data from FIREcalc.

The result of that formula at the moment is a 1.37% bond allocation.

I then have rebalance bands of 1.37% +- 25%(1.37%). My IPS is that I must reallocate to within those bands if I discover that I am outside of them, and that I may rebalance to my target whenever I feel like it if I am within them.

Currently I am within the band, and fairly close to the center, so I'm not rebalancing at the moment.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 10:38 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I will look at my AA at the end of the quarter (as I do every quarter) to see if is outside my target range. If it is within, I will do nothing, if it is outside, I will rebalance to get it back in the range.
Old 09-19-2022, 03:16 PM   #19

I don't "rebalance" although my AA has vacillated. In preparation for retirement, I built up a cash cushion. Earlier this year I sold bond funds, so my bond holdings went down. Then I started buying individual treasuries, so they have been going up. With regard to stock, I sold off a mutual fund which I had for years, but had a high management fee, and spewed out capital gains. I sold a portion of another holding to harvest a loss. With regard to stock purchases, I put in limit orders for small amounts of stocks or ETFs which may or may not have executed, but thus far, these purchases have been small.
Old 09-21-2022, 07:20 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks to all who responded. Seem we have a fairly disciplined investors here.