Poll: Retirement Portfolio Management

How are you managing your portfolio allocation.

• Slice and Dice (mix stocks & bonds and/or Mutual Funds)

Votes: 83 91.2%
  • Target Retirement Mutual Fund or similar

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • One balanced mutual fund

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Few Individual Stocks

• One Stock

• All Bonds

• All Cash

• Lottery tickets

• Turned it over to My Advisor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

chinaco

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
How are you managing your portfolio allocation?

Your poll doesn't include any mention of asset allocation or index mutual funds. No answer even comes close to my approach.

2B said:
Your poll doesn't include any mention of asset allocation or index mutual funds. No answer even comes close to my approach.

Sorry. I meant for this for Slice and Dice to cover that general category of Multiple mutual funds and/or individual Bonds and stocks... any variety of asset allocation techniques. Index funds and or EFTs would fall into that category for fairly borad diversification.

Based on your explanation, I would expect a very one sided poll which is what the results are so far. My only concern is that anyone would pick any other answer but "slice and dice."

2B

You are probably correct. That is why I lumped it together. I assume that most people on the board are employing a fair amount of diversification. I am interested in the other categories.

Biggest fund is Target retirement, then wife has several mutual funds in 403b which are being converted to VG Wellesley, our Roth is an asset allocation fund (VAAPX) and we own several DRIP stocks, some ibonds and cash accounts.
Simple answer: Target Retirement

I had a miscellaneous mix of mutual funds (stocks & bonds) and limited stocks collected throughout my working life. When I sold the house and invested the proceeds, I went with some core balanced funds for the majority along with some global equities. I use the Vanguard portfolio watch tool to keep my overall portfolio (somewhat) in line with their recommendations.

I like the flexibility of the slice and dice. Maybe someday, I'll move the other mix over to VG and get them all under one roof.

I have 80+ stocks. Does this mean I am running my own mutual fund?

bssc said:
I have 80+ stocks. Does this mean I am running my own mutual fund?

Thats impressive. How do you manage to research all those stocks?

So far it looks like the S/D option is winning 9-1 which does not surprise me with this crowd of over-achievers and DIY nuts.

I wonder what the results of the same poll would be with the average American participating? Probably would need an additional Q like: "What is a portfolio?"

Sigh - I suppose I could go see a shrink or maybe find a 12 step program somewhere - but I'm not 'ready' to quit.

I have cut back to one file cabinet and thirty individual dividend stocks.

Oh wait the thread said retirement not hormones!

Target 2015 for Retirement. Never sell(except after a div cut) or rebalance individual stocks for putzing - it's a 'harmless :confused:, ::), :D, - er hobby.

heh heh heh - Right?

Which option do people choose who have real estate, commodities, private equity, hedge funds, or even art?

:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom