Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Should I stay or should I go now
Stay 99 63.46%
Go now 57 36.54%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2017, 07:04 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

As a past competitive athlete (still very active, but father time eventually gets the best of all of us), I'd go right now since you are confidant your finances are sound. You'll NEVER get that time back, and for what? More money? No chance I'd give up the experiences I was fortunate to have.
enjoyinglife102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Poll: Should I stay or should I go now
Old 09-28-2017, 07:30 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Poll: Should I stay or should I go now

I think you are too young to call it a day.. I think as an alternative might I suggest.
Sell the big house..
Move to the 500k house..
Find a job that you enjoy doing.. you don't need much of a salary.
Working every day on something you aren't passionate about is a waste of precious time..

I could retire tomorrow but my PT work is stimulating.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:57 AM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

If you go there will be trouble, and if you stay it will be double.

I'll just let myself out.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:22 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Why not compromise with yourself and just stay another year, instead of two?
Personally for that kind of money I would stay the two years if you can't do one.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:12 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm currently at twice your 2 year walkaway number, and have also been a long time athlete in mountain sports (skiing, climbing, mountaineering) since I was in my late teens. The last five years of ER have been fantastic, being able to pursue my outdoor passions full time when I choose. When I ER'd in 2011-12, we had more investment income than we could spend, so we reinvested consistently, and you can too. It looks like a tough choice, but your pretty young and things happen financially.
I'd stay for more NW, because that nest egg is going to be there long after your climbing abilities wane- and they will, trust me. I enjoy mountain sports even more now, since I don't have to worry about financing them, wherever they take me
Good luck.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:27 AM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

Wow, amazing, thoughtful responses. Thanks everyone! Such a hard decision.
dayzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am slightly leaning toward staying. I don't know what your sport is but I am into extreme sports and I have seen many friends that got injured. Depending on the injury you may not be able to pursue your sport or work, so 2 years would be insurance.
Woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:41 AM   #28

You are young. I'd stick it out two more years for the big pay day. That's a nice extra cushion.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:33 AM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

I would hang around for the two extra years of excellent income, especially since you said it is a one time situation and can't be replicated. Huge payoff with little risk and then you are set for the rest of your life. That amount of security for such a little investment (2 years will go very fast) is huge. Best wishes for whatever you decide!
Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowTwitcher View Post
If you go, there will be trouble
And if you stay it will be double.

Can't believe you all saved this for me.
Thank you.
I know it's lyrics from a Clash song, but in reality the OP is in great shape and really can't go wrong either way.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
Since you are in your early 40's, don't hate your job, and this opportunity may not present itself ever agin, I would stay the 2 more years. That extra money will give you a lot of options going forward
I agree with this as well. Also agree with another whose point was for 5% of the rest of your life, you become more than set for life and can weather just about anything...at least anything financial. Great position to be in!
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:09 PM   #32

To the OP, maybe I did the math wrong and misread the initial post, but if all of your money to live off of is from the expected sale of your home, does that mean you have nothing else currently saved/invested? It just surprises me that, with your current compensation, your lifestyle is eating up all of your earning. It seems that would then be a challenge to whittle it down to $75K a year.

I understand the "follow your passion" mantra, but in this situation, with the information provided, I'm leaning towards the pragmatic side at saying stay.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrider View Post
I am slightly leaning toward staying. I don't know what your sport is but I am into extreme sports and I have seen many friends that got injured. Depending on the injury you may not be able to pursue your sport or work, so 2 years would be insurance.
+1000

I personally knew an Olympic skier whose career ended from what for most of us would be a minor, common injury, & which happened through no fault of their own.

OP should absolutely stick around for the full 2 years to significantly goose their asset base.
ncbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:12 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroday View Post
- I am not passionate about my job, at all. Don't hate it...

- ...if I stay two more years the walkaway number would be closer to $5M instead. Kind of a lot of money to walk away from.

- I'm equally afraid I'll regret selling these two prime years of my life for money that I don't really end up needing.

So... what would you do?
What I'd do doesn't really matter, but you asked. Sounds like you're pretty young. If you don't hate your job and you can add $1.2M (or 31%+) in compensation alone by working two more years, I'd stay even though I'm older than you are. There is simply no way to know now whether $3.8M is all you'll need, odds are you're going to be retired for 40-50 years, and you're not going to know if it was enough or not for decades - at which time resuming any well paying career is highly unlikely.

And the anonymous people who vote "go now" have absolutely no skin in your decision. You'll have to live with the decision for the rest of your life...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:20 PM   #35
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by intent View Post
Go now. Who cares about the extra money. You've got college expenses covered, $75K/year to live on, and a passion to do something else.

Congratulations, you made it. Enjoy it.
+1. It looks like you know that but want someone to talk you into having more $ rather than time. You can make more of one, not the other IMHO.
Odiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:25 PM   #36

If you need a poll to tell you what to do you're not ready.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:35 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

If $2 million fell into your lap today so you have $5 million rather than $3 million, how would your life be different? While you would have a bigger and stronger balance sheet, would the quality of your life be substantially different? Your answer to those questions may provide insights as to your answer to the stay/go question.

In my case, staying would have meant more financial security and more money for our kids and charities.... but where we were was plenty good and time is a valuable commodity so I resigned.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:26 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
..........And the anonymous people who vote "go now" have absolutely no skin in your decision. You'll have to live with the decision for the rest of your life...
How much skin do the anonymous people that say "stay" have in the decision?
travelover is online now   Reply With Quote
Math is hard
Old 09-28-2017, 04:56 PM   #39
gone traveling

Math is hard

From the way you described your situation you have 1 asset the house. It is a big asset, so I assume you have earned very well over the years to be able to get that big asset. (WHERE DID THE REST OF THE MONEY GO?)

Any way you slice it if you can increase your nest egg by 30% for one more year you need to take it. One way of looking at it is; it took you 20+ years to save $3 million, but in only 1/10 the time you can save another 2/3 that amount.

Finally you $75K spend rate is way too low for a $500K house, with no health insurance, and kid(s) not even in college yet. At current insurance rates, tax rates etc, you are going to have less than the median household earning left. I'm not saying that is bad, but it isn't going out in a blaze of glory after grabbing what I assume is the brass ring.
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:04 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I don't think the OP has a $3.8M house, more like a combination of investments and house equity after all closing costs adding up to $3.8M. Could be $2.8M + $1M or $3.3M + $500K or something like that. I know it could be $0 +$3.8M but I really doubt it.

I'm curious what the sport is if you're willing to disclose.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote