No / Never Did 7 3.47%
Just have it for internet service 19 9.41%
Used to but cut it 81 40.10%
You made the poll wrong because blah, blah, blah 8 3.96%
I like soup 7 3.47%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2017, 06:40 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No LL since 1999 (except for first year MIL moved in until she got comfortable with cell phone).
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2017, 07:19 PM   #42

I have magic jack... works out to less than $5/month. Only use it for dialing out sometimes. Incoming calls are mostly telemarketers so I forward the magic jack line to google voice...

I have the old landline number tied to several accounts - so it's cheap enough to use this... and still have phones throughout the house if I need it in an emergency.

But -as someone hinted at - it's VOIP - which means the "landline" comes through the broadband/internet... not through the phone company.... But since it's hard wired inside the house I still call it my landline.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:27 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

I thought the correct last poll option was always suppose to be "I like pie", so I voted "You made the poll wrong....blah..blah..blah."
Old 09-03-2017, 07:47 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I still have my landline and use it primarily for internet DSL service. I do have a limited local landline attached as I can hear better through the landline than through a cell. I use a calling card to make long distance calls. I do have a cell phone I use for traveling, but frankly, I hate it - it's a cheapie TracFone so only costs me $6.41 a month to keep the line connected.
Paracelsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:17 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I thought the correct last poll option was always suppose to be "I like pie", so I voted "You made the poll wrong....blah..blah..blah."
No, I think this forum skews a little older, so more of a soup crowd...

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying so send back soup in a deli"

p.s. Pie > Cake
Old 09-03-2017, 10:50 PM   #46

I just realized that I get poor cellular reception in my house, especially in the basement TV room, but my cell provider supports wifi calling. Maybe in a way I'm back to a sort of land line after all.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:33 PM   #47

Went to cable internet phone a few years ago and finally convinced DW to ditch that and transfer old home number to her mobile phone.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:41 PM   #48

First, I assume by landline you don't really mean POTS but include VOIP. I had a hard time answering the poll but finally selected full service.

We got the service because it came with our cable package. It was cheaper to get the internet/TV we wanted with the phone service than without. So we got it.

Theoretically, it is full service. We could use it all the time. But, we don't. And, it some ways it makes sense. We get terrible cell service in our house (and, no, the other cell providers are worse than the one we have) and get lots of dropped calls. Or we get a notification of a missed call...a day later. Etc.

So, I do occasionally use the VOIP when I want to call someone and not take the chance of a dropped call. But, it is rare enough that I don't actually know our telephone number. I have no idea what it is. I do keep it in my contacts list in case I need to know it, but I have no reason to memorize it since I give it to no one.

Having a telephone number that is tied to a phone in a particular location (my house) seems anachronistic to me. I don't want to give that number to other people and then have them call and I not be here. Yes, I have voice mail but it just seems weird.

Once our contract is up in 18 months or so, we probably won't renew so it will probably be going away. Before getting it from our cable provider I had been without a landline for years already.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:05 AM   #49

VOIP with ISP. Cell service isn't good enough to rely on solely.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:00 AM   #50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Another thought on not having a landline from the part of my brain shrouded in tinfoil: your cell phone number gets attached to so much these days that it can "unlock" a lot for the wrong person. I don't pretend to be an expert hacker, but when the cell number is on your credit report, SS and your bank use it for a second-level on-line verification, etc. It just seems like too many things get tied together. No one can text to a land line, hacking into your land line phone would be a useless exercise, and it just seems like fewer things can go wrong when you supply a land line number to people and businesses you don't know well.

When a web site requires authentication, I always go for the e-mail to my spamcatcher address instead of a text.
FYI

Landlines can be used to receive "text" authentication codes for various sites. Vanguard for instance does not have an email or other 3rd party authentication but if you provide a landline number then the authentication code comes as a phone call and robotic voice instead of a text message.

Before we moved to England I realized I needed a US phone number for various financial institutions such as our bank, pension provider, and ex-employer so I pay ~$50/year for a US number through Skype. Works great.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:38 AM   #51

All land lines gone. We move around so much nobody knew where to call anyway. Thought I would miss them but don't. I was mostly just getting marketing calls. Why pay for that?

As long as the telcos are the main providers for internet services and cell phones, I think they will do fine.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:09 AM   #52
Dryer sheet aficionado

Still have the landline ($20/mo) and we each carry a prepaid cell phone (tracfone $10/mo) for when we are away from the house.
Hershey102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:23 AM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We dropped our landline more than 10 years ago. For practical purposes, some countries never had them, they went directly to mobile. Landline is a real throwback.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:43 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

We have poor cell service in both our places, and both are in hurricane zones. So, we keep traditional copper wire service in both places. When the power is out, they will likely still work. The Comcast service in both places is so unreliable I wouldn't want to count on VOIP for our only phone service. There are times when we have calls we really need to be on. Both landline providers (ATT and Verizon) are trying to make keeping and using traditional landline service as difficult as possible, so the day will probably come when they go away.
45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:53 AM   #55

Kept our landline, $10/month with cable package. Cell phones still have bad connections and drop off. If we want a long conversation with no interruptions, clear and concise we use our landline.
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:00 AM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Instead of "Yes, full service", I wish your poll had "Yes, the old-fashioned phone company line" and "Yes, though VOIP" - it would be interesting to see who still has the old-fashioned phone service.

My landline is through Ooma VOIP.
On my cell phone, I think I've made one phone call in the past 2 years.
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:01 AM   #57
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I will always have my landline, I love it. I don't like to carry my cell phone all around the house. The house has 5 phones and I never have to walk far. It's VOIP and cheap ($20/mo) no long distance charges and the sound quality is much better than cell.

And when I misplace my cell I find it by calling it on my land line. It's hard to lose a phone that's mounted to the wall -
Agree, not that I really thought about till you brought it up. 5 house phones also. Never know where cell in the house & usually have its ring on mute.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:34 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Have a land line but AT&T is discontinuing it in November so and rolling it over into their VOIP plan unless I object. Cost is more than the land line was but still about 11.50 a month.
I decided to try magicjack go that plugs directly into my router and added an uninterrupted power source for the router.
Paid ~$35 for the magic jack hardware and a year of service and about $60 for the battery back up device. (not sure how long it will power router/wifi suspect 6-12hrs.)
Kicker was I had to pay local 911 fee which was $48 a year.

Will try having both for a bit and see which works best.
Ready-4-ER-at-14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:35 AM   #59

Had traditional land-line plus DSL with AT&T until a couple of years ago.

Since then have had a cable-company "triple-play" for cable/internet/phone.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:39 AM   #60
Dryer sheet aficionado

Just got a new landline after 5+ yrs without one, as part of a new cable deal (also first cable TV in 3 yrs). Love the sound quality, and we don't plan to give the number to anyone outside of immediate family. Makes me feel better too, with kids occasionally home alone.
Camellia is offline   Reply With Quote