No / Never Did 7 3.47%
Just have it for internet service 19 9.41%
Used to but cut it 81 40.10%
You made the poll wrong because blah, blah, blah 8 3.96%
I like soup 7 3.47%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2017, 07:42 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Still have a full service landline. I do not my paying for its added availability and backup. Maybe after I retire I'll go revisit the numbers and consider getting rid of it and moving to VOIP. But for now, given our experience with landline vs. cable reliability, we'll stick to the landline.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2017, 07:53 AM   #62

I was going to vote "You have the poll wrong because blah, blah, blah" but I voted "Just have it for internet service." I have it "with" internet service because with the bundled pricing, it's basically free.

Then, as I'm typing, I realized you may have meant what you said - "for" internet service and I became sad. Thinking there may still be people on dial-up would be brutal. Is there another connection I'm missing that you could get with a land line?
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:48 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
First, I assume by landline you don't really mean POTS but include VOIP. ...
That's the problem with all these discussions (they come up from time to time), I never know (and I'm not even sure the poster knows) if they are talking about the old school copper-line analog phone service only (POTS - Plain Old Telephone System), or if they include VOIP (through DSL, DSL Dry Loop, or other internet connection).

We maintain a VOIP phone, have not had POTS for many years (was expensive and limited). Our phone adapter provides two 'virtual lines' on the same number. I have a wireless base connected to each line, with extensions all over the house, in the basement and garage. No fumbling to find the cell phone (it's upstairs, plugged into the charger!). And we can pick up an extension and get in one the call w/o needing to be in the same room and put it on speakerphone. And we'd need to pay more to get more talk time on our phones (Ting is cheap for our two cell phones as we use few, sometimes zero minutes). There is always one near our bed (needed when we had relatives who were very ill, and we might get a call at any time). Lots of advantages for us.

Many will find a cell phone only is satisfactory for them. I'm just pointing out that using a "landline" doesn't make someone a dinosaur, they have advantages that may or may not be important to the individual.

Oh, and the poll is wrong on many levels. I think the poll is wrong, bla, bla, bla, and I also like soup. But it was set up in "radio button" mode, and I can select only one choice.

Also, if you "Just have it for internet service", then it isn't a telephone line, it's an internet-only line (DSL Dry Loop). So it's an oxymoron to say "I have a telephone line only for internet service". No you don't. [edit, just saw the previous post - OK, I suppose you could use a POTS line for dial-up internet, but not use it for phone service?]

Aren't you glad you made a poll?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:10 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

After dropping a land line for over 3 years it's back! Cell works when it does, but bad weather = 0 service.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:26 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
We just celebrated 7 years without a voice landline but still have dry loop service for our DSL ($5/mo.)

As a stockholder in a large telecom company, curious to see what other people are doing.
I bought Vonage way back when and used their cheapest plan.
Now I use a MagicJack Plus (the one that doesn't need a PC to run).
It cost $69.95 for the device plus one year service. On their website, I added another 5 years service for $99.95 ($107.85 including tax).

So my phone bill is less than $2/month.
johnhkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:48 AM   #66

Sometimes I wonder how long it's been since the nephews even used the voice feature of their cell phones.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:57 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
we have had ooma (voip) for many years now. at $5/ month it's good to have an extra line to have when you need to give out your phone number and for 911 calls.
I don't consider voip a "landline." All semantics I guess, but I think of a landline as copper wire coming into your house.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:36 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Dropped it years ago. In our current house, our cell service is marginal at best, so we had an AT&T Microcell. I got very tired of constantly having to drag it to a window so it could find a signal, so I eventually gave up and just use Wifi Calling. The Unindicted Co-Conspirator is convinced that Wifi Calling doesn't work very well, but now that we're with Consumer Cellular, it's no longer an option to use anything else. Personally, I have no issues. (Yes, I'm that annoying husband who says, "Your light is out? Mine works just fine!")
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:45 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcap View Post
. The Unindicted Co-Conspirator is...")
I love that phrase, I smile and laugh everytime you post that
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:53 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhkc View Post
I bought Vonage way back when and used their cheapest plan.
Now I use a MagicJack Plus (the one that doesn't need a PC to run).
It cost $69.95 for the device plus one year service. On their website, I added another 5 years service for $99.95 ($107.85 including tax).

So my phone bill is less than $2/month.
This is what I do with the 5 year deal. Also a super cheapo cell phone as a backup.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:26 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Full service land line here and plan to keep it. I really don't like the voice quality of cell phones but I have one of those too for when we travel. Usually we will forward our land line number to our cell phone when we travel and friends who call us at our home number will often ask if we are on our cell phone.

BTW, I like soup too.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:48 AM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
I love that phrase, I smile and laugh everytime you post that
Thanks! Day after tomorrow will mark 25 years since I insured that she could not be compelled to testify against me.
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:04 PM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toocold View Post
We have had OOMA VOIP for about 8 years. Paid $150. Zero monthly payments. One of the best investments ever.
How is it that you do not have to pay the taxes on it?
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:55 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

I kept my landline (POTS) line for one reason only.... Earthquakes. I live in the Bay Area and if all power goes out and the backup batteries go dead on the VOIP network, the only thing that keeps running is the central office dial tone since they are ran on a backup generator system.
Eastbayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:23 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Cur cable in January. Phone went with it. Picked up an Omma device for $80 and now have VOIP calling for "free" just have to pay gummint man around $6 a month in taxes for the privilege.
Henry Lili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:32 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn't think they even had landlines anymore. Been years. All I ever got was telemarketing calls.

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:19 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

land line free since 2005.
HarveyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:15 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I don't consider voip a "landline." All semantics I guess, but I think of a landline as copper wire coming into your house.
My cable comes into my house on a copper wire so my voip isn't much different then a landline.

Fiber optics Ha Ha, might never happen around here.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:18 AM   #79

Depends on your definition of "land line".

There is a phone number that rings phones (which plug into RJ11 jacks) at our house. But it is VOIP, not traditional POTS (copper wires) service.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:22 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
+1. To me, landline = POTS for voice

I do have a Telco copper line coming onto my house for our DSL internet service.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote