No / Never Did 7 3.47%
Just have it for internet service 19 9.41%
Used to but cut it 81 40.10%
You made the poll wrong because blah, blah, blah 8 3.96%
I like soup 7 3.47%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2017, 07:24 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cancelled the day we retired... Forgot the actual date LOL.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2017, 08:11 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
we have had ooma (voip) for many years now. at $5/ month it's good to have an extra line to have when you need to give out your phone number and for 911 calls.
Same here. How do I vote with this quasi landline?
Old 09-05-2017, 12:24 PM   #83

A w0rk story while we all enjoy some soup.

Years ago, I had an intern assigned to me while in a purchasing role. One assignment I gave her was to contact our top thirty (by annual spend) suppliers and and inform each of them that our payment terms would change at the end of the year (new terms = net never). This was in early September, so it was a low priority task. I asked that she just work it in as time permitted, with the goal of having it complete by month end.

Anyway, during our weekly f2f review, she explained that several numbers on the list were no good. When she dialed them, she got some beeping noise. Well, I knew the numbers were good, because i routinely called almost all of these suppliers. So, I stopped the meeting and we reviewed the supplier/phone number listing that she had. I saw that only a few had been lined through. Then, while looking at the list, I noticed that all the suppliers contacted were local ones. On a hunch, I asked her to call the first "problem" supplier, and observed as she dialed. Sure enough, she was not dialing a "1" required when calling long distance. She had only used a land line a few times in her entire life and had no knowledge of long distance dialing protocol from a land line. We enjoyed a good laugh, and she got about the business of making a lot of suppliers very upset.

I was glad to get out of purchasing. There were too many days when I felt like I needed to take a shower when I got home....
Old 09-05-2017, 12:33 PM   #84

We still have a landline that's hardly ever used for $40 month - kind of dumb!
Old 09-17-2017, 07:47 AM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We have Paygo cell phones because we spend 5 months in each of Vancouver and Puerto Vallarta. We always get people to call our landlines in both places because the cell phone cost per minute are high. We have also had MagicJack since they introduced their service. It is most useful for calling 800 numbers from Mexico.

In Vancouver, the landline is used to open the front door when we rent it out. In PV, the service is bundled with internet for 389 pesos a month.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:37 PM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife's work requires her to have a true dedicated land line (not VOIP). However, the local phone company has applied to get out of the landline business. Not sure what will happen when this gets approved, but it is only a matter of time.
eastnortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:59 PM   #87
Full time employment: Posting here.

We still have a basic landline (local only). It is primarily for alarm service and we don't use it for calls out and never answer it when it rings. At some point we are going to redo our alarm system and get rid of the landline. On the "to do list".
Old 09-17-2017, 05:19 PM   #88

Still have a land line since I have dsl from the phone coop. I could get up to 25 mbps on that line. (I use satellite tv so no cable).
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:38 PM   #89

Basic land line. Primarily because the alarm is on it.. but also during Hurricanes (I'm in FL), after a storm it's the only way to communicate with family. Cell and Net go down fast and come back slow...
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:15 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Basic land line. Primarily because the alarm is on it.. but also during Hurricanes (I'm in FL), after a storm it's the only way to communicate with family. Cell and Net go down fast and come back slow...
Of course if the storm takes down the electric lines if the telephone lines are on the same poles they may also go down, just like cable lines. However during non storm related power outages the landlines just keep working.
If charging the cell phone is an issue buy a 12 v charger for it.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:57 PM   #91
gone traveling

Wonder if people in the Keys wish they had landlines.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:40 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Wonder if people in the Keys wish they had landlines.
As bad as the electric situation is in the keys with lots of lines down, I suspect since land lines are typically on the same pole the land lines are physically down i.e. laying on the ground or in pieces.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:51 PM   #93
Full time employment: Posting here.

That's right. In a severe enough storm, it doesn't help to have a landline. Having had that experience in 2016, I finally had no excuse left for not getting rid of my landline, so I did. Nice to not have that bill.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote