Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your approximate withdrawal rate during retirement?
Around 2.0% or less 77 31.43%
Around 2.5% +/- 37 15.10%
Around 3.0% +/- 55 22.45%
Around 3.5% +/- 34 13.88%
Around 4.0% +/- 29 11.84%
Around 5.0% +/- 10 4.08%
Around 6.0% or higher 3 1.22%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2022, 08:04 AM   #101
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'll be retiring in a bit less than 3 years at the age of 43 so this topic is near and dear to my heart since I'll have a 40-50 year left of life expectancy to make it last. I expect and hope it will effectively be a 0% withdraw rate as half my net worth outside primary home is in rental properties which currently generates ~5.75% annual cash flow on its current equity net of mortgages.

If you include that cash distribution as a withdraw, then closer to 3% withdraw rate max with a min of 2%. I'm hoping to leave everything else untouched, except perhaps in some years some roth conversions. Any extra needed for lumpy expenses I'm hoping and expect stock dividends will cover. Once I get to SS/Medicare ages, It'll get even easier.

If I had a 70/30 portfolio instead of 40/10/50 (RE) I'd probably feel safe with 2.25-2.5% withdraw rate.
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2022, 08:05 AM   #102

We hit our own trifecta- always worried about SOR at age 65, and here we are at age 65, down market, need a new vehicle ;-(
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 08:52 AM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus View Post
I'll be retiring in a bit less than 3 years at the age of 43 so this topic is near and dear to my heart since I'll have a 40-50 year left of life expectancy to make it last. I expect and hope it will effectively be a 0% withdraw rate as half my net worth outside primary home is in rental properties which currently generates ~5.75% annual cash flow on its current equity net of mortgages.

If you include that cash distribution as a withdraw, then closer to 3% withdraw rate max with a min of 2%. I'm hoping to leave everything else untouched, except perhaps in some years some roth conversions. Any extra needed for lumpy expenses I'm hoping and expect stock dividends will cover. Once I get to SS/Medicare ages, It'll get even easier.

If I had a 70/30 portfolio instead of 40/10/50 (RE) I'd probably feel safe with 2.25-2.5% withdraw rate.
When I was doing my ER planning in 2006-08, leading up to my eventual ER in late 2008 at age 45, I split my ER plan into 2 parts. The first part was using only the taxable of my portfolio to get me to age ~60. This would be the more challenging part. After that, my "reinforcements" begin to arrive, starting with unfettered access to my tIRA at around age 60, followed by SS and my frozen company pension. That, as you know, will make things only easier.

I am 59 now, and I have made it through the first part of my ER plan just fine, even better than I had planned. Part of that was due to the markets which rebounded nicely after the 2008-09 lows. But another reason was the ACA which made HI more affordable, especially with the premium subsidies I have captured in some years but not always. I won't need to tap into my tIRA, and I wouldn't want to, because it would reduce my ACA subsidy a lot.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 05:53 AM   #104

So here's a question as a newbie (2022 is yr 1 of withdrawals)... I had set up effectively a 2 bucket system at the beginning of the year so I have 10 years of a combination of cash (2 yrs), laddered individual bonds (3 yrs), and some short term bond ETFs (5 yrs) with anything over 10+ years in equities (+/- 65/35 AA today). Arguably, in theory I took my withdrawal at beginning of year when my PF balance was a good bit higher (<2.5% WR). Lucky me hitting stride with SORR, my WR is now over 2.5%. I realize it is still a relatively low WR, but I sure hate seeing PF balance drop like it is and cannot help but recalculate my WR based on current balance vs. the beginning of the year. Do you mentally do the math when your planned spend $$ come out or base on the low PF balance during the year? I know it's mental gymnastics, but just trying to steady my sea legs as the training wheels come off.
DawgMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:00 AM   #105
Give me a forum ...

I have been using bob clyatts 95/5 method going on 7 years now .

We run an actual draw of about 3.50%
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:47 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
Interesting - To those with 0% withdrawal or negative withdrawal and you're above 60 - 65 .. are you planning to leave your nest egg to your kids ? and I guess you'll pay big taxes to make huge withdraws when you hit 72 years old with mandatory withdrawals hitting bigger withdrawal laters.
Yes, planning on leaving the majority to our two kids, barring any LTC or unplanned medical needs.

Taxes are always part of the equation, already in a higher tax bracket and would rather not pay any more sooner than needed. It is what it is. Blessed to be in this position.
Old 05-23-2022, 02:59 PM   #107
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm 45, planning on retiring before I'm 50. The optimistic goal was 2024, I'll likely be pushing that now, but maybe not. Either way, the initial withdrawal rate is "planned" to be ~6.4%, but that drops to about ~5.5% in 2024 as one bill falls away. Then, in 2027 it drops again to ~4% when the mortgage is gone. Of course, that doesn't take into account my VA income. Including my VA income, it's roughly 3.5% of my portfolio withdrawn to cover spending to start with, dropping from there as the first bill and then the mortgage disappear.

Then, in my 60's, SS will kick in some amount on top of that.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:19 PM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets

Deferred Comp payouts have more than covered our annual spending/taxes, so have not had to withdraw from investments since retiring 10 years ago.
Old 05-27-2022, 12:11 PM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

Unsure How To Calculate Withdrawal Rate

Retired 11 years ago with a NW of $2M. Now NW is north of $3M and we are spending as much as we can. So what is my withdrawal rate?
FLJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:20 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJim View Post
Retired 11 years ago with a NW of $2M. Now NW is north of $3M and we are spending as much as we can. So what is my withdrawal rate?
I'm guessing 5% or more?
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:41 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJim View Post
How much are you withdrawing? Can't calculate your WR with a denominator of "as much as we can."
Old 05-30-2022, 03:47 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
How much are you withdrawing? Can't calculate your WR with a denominator of "as much as we can."
That's actually the numerator, but your point is correct...
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 04:37 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by 523HRR View Post
Deferred Comp payouts have more than covered our annual spending/taxes, so have not had to withdraw from investments since retiring 10 years ago.
Deferred Comp is a great idea for those who are in this boat. It saved our bacon when moving out of California to take ours. It "paid" for a 3-4 year sabbatical in our case...

I wonder how many people do it. DW's boss was amazed & surprised by her 50% election on top of her maxing the 401k... He said he never thought of why it works for some...
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote