Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much uninsured and under insured motorist coverage do you carry?
I do not have any at all 5 19.23%
I have less than 100k 5 19.23%
I have 100k to 250k 3 11.54%
I have 250k to 500k 10 38.46%
I have 500k to 750k 2 7.69%
I have 750k to 1 million 0 0%
I have over 1 million 1 3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Poll Uninsured and under insured motorist coverage amounts
Old 07-07-2009, 01:56 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Poll Uninsured and under insured motorist coverage amounts

I have had second thoughts about having uninsured and under insured motorist coverage for a long time. I know the big benefit of having it is that if you get injured and need long term care this insurance can really come in handy.

I opted for 500k of coverage I'm not sure if that is overkill or not so I thought this would be a good poll to see what others thought was a good amount to carry...if any.

Jim
summer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have the same as you. I am someone who is loathe to be overinsured, but this type of coverage is pretty cheap for what you get. Especially since the minimum in our state is 15-30-15 coverage. And while I do drive a cheap car, that wouldn't come close to covering any sort of injury from an underinsured driver.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

$250K each person
$500K each accident
Old 07-07-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

$300K per person up to $500K per accident.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer2007 View Post
I have had second thoughts about having uninsured and under insured motorist coverage for a long time. I know the big benefit of having it is that if you get injured and need long term care this insurance can really come in handy.
We carry $1M UM/UIM just for the case of a driver putting our kid into a lifetime care or lifetime disability situation. She's insured by our military Tricare policy now but that ends when she's done with school.

When she's off our insurance policy (and on her own health insurance) then we might get rid of the UM/UIM. We haven't done the research yet. One factor is that it's <$62/year/car, so not much incentive to shave away at it. But I have the (possibly mistaken) impression that we grownups would be covered just as well by Tricare, although I don't know those limits.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:23 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks everyone.

It looks like the amount I have is fairly common. But a lot of people did not go heavy on this type of insurance also.

One of the things that made me consider not having a lot of this insurance is that it is only ONE way that a family member or passenger or myself could be injured needing long term care.

For instance I know a guy that was about 50 years old and he fell down his steps...he was not intoxicated or anything like that he just fainted I guess. Anyway he ended up in a coma for a while and it took him a long time to recover. What I'm saying I thought it might give a false sense of security because getting in an accident is one of many ways to need long term care....but this type of insurance only covers the ones caused by an auto accident...all the rest are uncovered.

But on the flip side it's all to often that when sitting at a red light that I pause for a few seconds after the light turns green only to watch someone fly through the intersection. I see reckless driving way too often while out driving.

Jim
summer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote