Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your usual vehicle buying habit?
PAY CASH for a NEW vehicle and drive it into the ground (not worried about resale of trade in value). 156 45.75%
FINANCE a NEW vehicle and drive it into the ground (not worried about resale of trade in value). 32 9.38%
PAY CASH for a NEW vehicle, but TRADE every few years while it still has value. 32 9.38%
FINANCE a NEW vehicle, but trade every few years while it still has value. 4 1.17%
PAY CASH for only USED vehicles because I want someone else to take the big depreciation. 101 29.62%
FINANCE only USED vehicles because I want someone else to take the big depreciation. 11 3.23%
I LEASE vehicles (either personal or through a business). 5 1.47%
I only purchase my cars at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, and my CPA worries about the details. 0 0%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2021, 08:48 PM   #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
I answered cash for used, and posted a pic of the new car we got last Sunday. That post disappeared. Maybe there is a limit I have to reach before posting pictures?
Not on pictures per se, but links are usually reviewed, give it a few minutes.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2021, 09:02 PM   #242
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Not on pictures per se, but links are usually reviewed, give it a few minutes.
thanks that is what it was, I will be patient from now on
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:11 PM   #243
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Note: I didn't take time to read so many postings on this subject. But:

I want a car that is durable and doesn't break down often.
And I want to have a dealer locally that can provide parts and service.
I don't want to have to send my car on a rollback to a manufacturer's service center 100 miles away.
I would like the option of having an independent mechanic service my car. I don't want a vehicle that no one locally knows how to repair them.
I want to know that if I have a collision, the car will not have to be returned to the manufacturer where it's going to take months and months to repair and return it. Rental car coverage on my insurance policy doesn't cover rental cars for very long.
And I don't want to have to plan out my vacations based on finding SuperChargers. We like to get off the beaten path.

I just traded a 3 year old Toyota Camry Hybrid with 69K miles for a 2021 Venza Hybrid AWD SUV. I went from 49 mpg to 39 mpg with the larger vehicle. But I'm in no way suffering by owning a vehicle that has a 500 mile range. We love the smooth, quiet Hybrid/electric power plant. We're protected with a lifetime mechanical warranty, a 36 mile bumper to bumper factory warranty, a 100K hybrid warranty and a 10 year/150K mile battery warranty. And the good thing is I can get repairs done locally.
Bamaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:05 PM   #244

Haven't read all of the posts but I paid cash in September for a 2018 Camry. I expect to pay cash for any other purchases in the future and we always go with a used car, typically 2-3 years old. That gets us past the steepest depreciation. Then we keep the car for 10-15 years. I "only" had my last one for 8 but that was an anomaly as it was 6 years old when I bought it. The one before I had for 14.
disneysteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:11 PM   #245

The last 6 vehicles Iíve paid cash for. I usually keep them for 3-4 years. I end up trading it in not so much because it still has some value as Iím ready for a new one for one reason or another.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:45 AM   #246
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bought a 1996 accord in 2003. Drove it until 2017 before donating it to NPR (gas tank leak and it cost too much to replace it).

Bought a 2010 Mazda 5 in 2017 and totaled it in 2020.

Bought a 2015 Mazda 5 in 2020 and is currently my daily driver.

My car shopping habit is (5): always pay cash for used cars and let others take the depreciation.
teetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 03:41 AM   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by wompo View Post
(1) I buy with cash new and keep them 10 to 15 years
This is pretty much the camp we are in for our "every day" cars.

I do have car hobbies though, so I do have one car that I bought used and paid cash for...and I've kept it now for 38 years.

Camaro Front 2.JPG

P.S. And another I financed in 2007 at 0% interest for 4 years, and I still have the car.

125-2579_IMG.JPG