POLL - What is your $ amount to be FI according to FIREcalc?

What is your min $ amount to be FI according to FIREcalc?

• < $200,000

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • $200,001 - $299,999

• $300,000 - $399,999

• $400,000 - $499,999

• $500,000 - $599,999

• $600,000 - $699,999

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • $700,000 - $799,999

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • $800,000 - $899,999

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • $900,000 - $999,999

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • $1,000,000 - $1,249,999

Votes: 19 11.9%
  • $1,250,000 - $1,499,999

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • $1,500,000 - $1,749,999

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • $1,750,000 - $1,999,999

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • >$2,000,000

Votes: 68 42.5%

• Total voters

RioIndy

Recycles dryer sheets
ADDING POLL

What is minimum $ amount required in your portfolio for you to score 100% success rate in FIREcalc, based on your predicted yearly expenses and the amount of time you need those funds to last.

The poll I suppose will assume you used the standard portfolio used by FIREcalc and all other variables being the standard ones. But if you used different variables then please post them in the comments what you changed along with the $ that you needed to reach 100% success rate.

Thanks for participating :)

Why not a poll of shoe sizes?

I honestly don't see the point - it is totally dependent upon "your predicted yearly expenses and the amount of time you need those funds to last."

So plug in any numbers you wish, and you get your answer, FIRECALC will provide the same answer to you as anyone else with that spending and portfolio life.

Did you really mean to ask:

1) How long do you plan for?

and

2) How much do you spend?

These are going to vary by individual. You need to plan for your best estimate and comfort level. The average family has 1.6 children (or whatever it is now). What good is that to an individual - do you buy 1.6 bikes for your family?

Don't mean to come across as grouchy, I just don't get it.

-ERD50

It was just a way to gauge a comparison to what I feel I will need and if it is low or not. There are certainly a lot of ways I could have asked the question. I thought this way was kind of fun and more interesting, it didn't need to be entirely just logical.

It was just a way to gauge a comparison to what I feel I will need and if it is low or not. There are certainly a lot of ways I could have asked the question. I thought this way was kind of fun and more interesting, it didn't need to be entirely just logical.

That is exactly to my point. It doesn't make any difference what someone else needs. You need to determine what you need. Just like shoe sizes, would you be comfortable with someone else's shoes? Does it help you to know what shoe size they wear?

The questions I posed aren't any good for that either - but it would at least tell you something about what 'neighborhood' those that replied (honestly) are in. That might be 'fun' for some.

But the question you posed is nothing but asking what the output of FIRECALC is for a given input. Why not do it yourself? They don't charge by the run.

-ERD50

Well, I don't exactly get it either, but if this is something that the OP is interested in, why not? It's not like we have to pay by the bit (or read the thread if we don't want to, for that matter).

I voted. Also, for the record, I wear a women's size 9.5 shoe... :LOL:

I voted.

I wear a women's shoe size 8.5.

Well, I don't exactly get it either, but if this is something that the OP is interested in, why not? It's not like we have to pay by the bit (or read the thread if we don't want to, for that matter).

We need to know whether you're AA, A, B, C or D width so we know how "widely" you're diversified. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted. Shoe size 10 for the record :D

Some factors to determine: YOUR expense or level of spending; SWR, age/length of retirement, retiree benefits, SS, AA, and most importantly SHOE SIZE! :dance:

I voted. The poll is trending. Maybe not the intention of the OP but this should turn into a chart of the funding people have for their FI levels and could be interesting to see where you fall on that chart. As more people vote, it should become more evident what could be considered a 'normal' amount. It would be better even if it was demographically broken out as well...

Oh, and I wear a size 12 women's shoe.

Yeah, but what if we run out of curmudgeon certificates?

To me there is a difference between "FI" and having enough to support what you spend. I spend more than the minimum amount that I would need to be FI, IMO.

Nords said:
Yeah, but what if we run out of curmudgeon certificates?

Then we'll have to put out an APB for UncleMick. He's got an official one, I think. :)

We need to know whether you're AA, A, B, C or D width so we know how "widely" you're diversified. :ROFLMAO:

Hmmm, when I see AA, A, B, C, or D for something in women's sizes, I don't think about my shoes :LOL: It's B. Or D, depending.

I think this is a good enough and harmless poll; at the very least I can tell DH look how thriftily/extravagantly we live.

REWahoo said:
That's my dress size. :blush:

Oh don't be shy...There's a shop down in the Quarter that sells a lot of size 12 shoes and size 18 Tall dresses for ya. :2funny:

Sure, but I didn't want the OP (or anyone else) to think that this was going to tell him something useful about his own situation. That would be an injustice. I do 'bristle' at all the thread starters who ask - 'is this enough to retire on'? It depends, what are you happy with spending in retirement, what AA are you comfortable with, etc - and that number may be far different from someone else.

Also, for the record, I wear a women's size 9.5 shoe... :LOL:
Me, too... :)

OK, NOW it's 'fun'! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

-ERD50

FI poll is somewhat meaningless. FI number depends a lot on other retirement support like pension, employer retiree health insurance, etc.

I voted, but the amount I needed would have been much higher if I didn't have pensions that cover most of our needs.

I take size 12 in a tutu ;)

I voted, but the amount I needed would have been much higher if I didn't have pensions that cover most of our needs.
Pretty much the same for me.
Oh my.......:cool:

Size 10 here shoe-wise. As for my 'tutus'...nah...I ain't gonna say....:-X

As others have said, what other people need (or think they need) is not very useful. Individual circumstances vary too much for it to be otherwise:

1. age at retirement, gender and other factors that contribute to life expectancy
2. expenses
3. pensions, social security etc
4. number of dependants
5. health insurance
6. home ownership (and whether you include home equity in your asset base)
7. your definition of retirement (part time income?)
8. other things

And my wife's shoes are too small for me.....unfortunately.....

What is minimum $ amount required in your portfolio for you to score 100% success rate in FIREcalc, based on your predicted yearly expenses and the amount of time you need those funds to last.
(emphasis added)

Although still subject to at least some of the variability of a "what is your number poll", it might be interesting to ask what is the minimum FIREcalc success rate that people feel is good enough to retire on?

Is 100% really necessary? I hope not.....

I mentally converted and figured what size pot of money I would need to match the pension and added that to what I have.

Back
Top Bottom