<$75,000 5 3.70%
<$90,000 5 3.70%
<$105,000 7 5.19%
<$175,000 7 5.19%
<$250,000 3 2.22%
>$250,000 2 1.48%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The reason that an open limit order is adjusted for the cash dividend is because the party placing the open limit order made the limit based on the pre-dividend market price and the rule adjusts the limit order (not the stock price) by the dividend once the stock goes ex-dividend.

Stocks work different than funds. (Open end) fund prices are based on net asset value and NAV decreases exactly by the amount of dividends paid. Individual stock prices are based on supply and demand, so while they are affected by the payment of a dividend, the effect on the price of the stock is not necessarily exactly the amount of the dividend.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2012, 07:50 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

a funds nav is identical. its nav always reflects the supply and demand of every issue it holds. its nothing more than a collection of individual funds . it just collects all its gains ,interests and dividends and pays them out together rather then seperatly as they come in but the consept is the same..
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the exchanges reduce the price of the last quote of the previous days trade.

But because the quote of the previous day's closing trade AND the bid and the ask of all outstanding orders are also reduced (unless placed with a Do Not Reduce restriction) by the exchange the stock usually opens based on the reduction.

"
NYSE Rule 118 and AMEX Rule 132 dictate that, on ex-cash dividend days, open
limit orders to buy stocks are reduced by the cash dividend amount. With discrete
prices, if the resulting price is not a tick multiple, it is further lowered to the next tick.

Prices in limit sell orders are not changed"

dubofsky and haite did a paper debating the effects of the exchange mandated reductions.

mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

I think we both agree that the stock price will be affected by the dividend paid. I believe that it is not by regulation but is the natural result of market supply and demand and that investors are aware of when the dividend will be paid. Also, as you indicate any orders placed prior to the payment of the dividend are presumed to be pre-dividend and are adjusted for the dividend paid once the stock goes ex-dividend. Wikipedia indicates the following:

Quote:
It is relatively common for a stock's price to decrease on the ex-dividend date by an amount roughly equal to the dividend paid. This reflects the decrease in the company's assets resulting from the declaration of the dividend. The company does not take any explicit action to adjust its stock price; in an efficient market, buyers and sellers will automatically price this in.
Notice that the above indicates "roughly equal" not "equal". You were suggesting some mechanical intervention in the pricing of a stock by the exchanges that would make it exactly equal (like what happens with a fund since it is based on NAV and cash is part of NAV) and I am suggesting that it is not mechanical, automatic or one-to-one.

Beyond that, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

but there is no disputing that the two exchange rules mandate that drop. it may not be to the penny but close enough.

if it didnt work that way we could just be ahead by buying a stock the day of record and then collecting the dividend like bank interest.

the exchanges make sure that doesnt happen by having those 2 rules in place. where they trade after the open is all investor sentiment.

its all about total return. selling enough shares from a stock with a total return of 8% to equal a 2% dividend is no different then a dividend payer up 6% with a 2% dividend.

in either case you can have that cash flow .
Old 09-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #65
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
The answer to "What is Life?"

Ha
Brilliant answer - my cash income from securities is 42
Old 09-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #66
Administrator

The dividend discussion is like the movie Groundhog Day.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The dividend discussion is like the movie Groundhog Day.
+1 I'm done.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

i guess if brilliant researchers like dubofsky bail and hite couldnt agree what chance do we have.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yet, even Dubofsky and Hite were able to agree that Neil Armstrong said, "One giant step for a man."
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote