Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your Car(s) value / Home value ratio?
0% - no car (public transit, bike, etc) 8 3.02%
1-5% 132 49.81%
6-15% 86 32.45%
16-30% 18 6.79%
31-100% 9 3.40%
I own a car, but rent 12 4.53%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Hard to tell, he owns the trailer park, the one behind the car is his office.

Besides that is his other car.
Nah, that's the construction trailer for his new mansion. He just popped in for a quick meeting with the architect and project manager to make sure the shipments of marble and gilded trimwork are stilling rolling in on schedule.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2009, 04:41 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The median sales price for an existing house is about $200k. The median for a new care is $27k. Suppose the average "car on the road" is 1/2 the price of a new car. That would give 6.75% for one car, and 13% for two cars.

It looks like this group is a little house rich or car poor. Probably due to retirees who have seen house prices go up while they've been living in them.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:05 PM   #63
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
It looks like this group is a little ... car poor.
...we LBYM'ers get so excited when you talk dirty like that.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
[Wanders off, thinking "Don't care! Wanted the car, got the car, keeping the car! It's paid for! So there!..."]
I'll just stand over here by Marilyn.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:47 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I'll just stand over here by Marilyn.
Save some room for me, too.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Just got my new car today. About 7% of the value of the house.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:51 AM   #67

I voted zero percent. Don't know any other way to indicate that I have no investment in a leased vehicle. What I am paying to drive this car is just like rent. At the end of three years I turn it in and start all over so I have no "skin in the game".
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:44 AM   #68
Gone but not forgotten

Don't we just love our cars... Search "cars" and find them mentioned in about half of all threads.
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ned-63640.html

Checking back to see if your original opinion has changed.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Checking back to see if your original opinion has changed.
Mine has. Well, at least it will when our last house (vacant for a year) finally closes on April 3 and it will be OUT of our hands.

So in reality, ours is "infinite" as in a division-by-zero error -- we have two cars worth *maybe* a combined $15K, but DW's employer provides our housing rent-free and pays most utilities.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:49 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

I guess what surprises me most about this resurrected thread is that I still own 2 of the 3 cars I alluded to back in 2009. I finally had to put a bullet between the headlights of the 3rd car (over 20 years old and actually, I sold it for $100) which brings the average age of my 3 cars up to about 14 years. I "traded" as many houses as cars since then (one - and it is worth more.) So, overall, my car value to house value keeps going down. No brag - just fact. Cars are almost too old to figure a value, so I'd guess maybe my new ratio is a little over 1%. As always, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:53 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I guess what surprises me most about this resurrected thread is that I still own 2 of the 3 cars I alluded to back in 2009. I finally had to put a bullet between the headlights of the 3rd car (over 20 years old and actually, I sold it for $100) which brings the average age of my 3 cars up to about 14 years. I "traded" as many houses as cars since then (one - and it is worth more.) So, overall, my car value to house value keeps going down. No brag - just fact. Cars are almost too old to figure a value, so I'd guess maybe my new ratio is a little over 1%. As always, YMMV.

I am around the same figure. You generally can only be that low with one of two reasons. Either one has a vehicle that new cars fear whenever parked beside it in a parking lot, or a huge mansion of a home. Unfortunately for me, I am the former.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

I live in a studio apartment I ownoutright in a large co-op complex so even a 7-year-old, cheap car will be worth 7% of the apartment's value.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #73

About 5%... $20,000 for two cars and one house at around $375,000. I may purchase another house to bring my ratio down though.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:58 PM   #74

The ratio for DW and I is right at 15% but we own 6 vehicles (things with tires that require license tags) and our house is relatively modest for the area we live.

Yes, I know... who needs 6 vehicles? 5 have engines (i.e. cars/trucks) and 1 is a travel trailer. I guess I'm a car guy: 1966 Chevrolet El Camino, 1984 Jeep CJ-7, 1999 Honda CR-V (daily driver), 1996 GMC Suburban, and a 2005 Chevrolet Suburban. They're all paid for and we can afford the insurance, etc. so it doesn't seem too crazy to me. We'll be eliminating the Honda or the 1996 Suburban sometime this year.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #75

Zero - we don't own a car because public transport is both cheap and excellent out here.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:21 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm at less than 1%; mostly because my car is a beater. I'll probably have to buy something else in the next few years, but I'm holding off as long as I can!
Marathoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:29 PM   #77
Dryer sheet aficionado

2010 & 2014 models: 5.5% of home value. I am envious of those living where public transportation is robust enough to make a car unecessary.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:33 PM   #78

Glad to see there's a car guy here. I wasn't sure if I posted I would skew the poll. We own 6 antique/collectible cars and 2 trucks. Vehicles worth 385,000. and smallish house with big garage worth 425,000.
splitwdw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I voted 1%-5%. But after I retire, move north to an area with lower housing prices, and buy my new car, my ratio will be more like 20%.
But W2R, didn't you buy a gorgeous new Toyota Venza after you retired just a few years ago? Didn't you say it might be your last car? I reckon you should be able to get many more years out of the Venza as I know you don't do much long distance driving with it.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
But W2R, didn't you buy a gorgeous new Toyota Venza after you retired just a few years ago? Didn't you say it might be your last car? I reckon you should be able to get many more years out of the Venza as I know you don't do much long distance driving with it.
But Meadbh, did you notice that my post that you quoted, was from 3/23/2009? I didn't retire until later that year, and I didn't buy my Venza until 2010.

You're right - - I only have 15,000 miles on it even though I drive it almost every day. I just don't drive very far, I guess!

The present value of my Venza is about 10%-11% of the value of my home. It has gone down in value quite a lot since 2010, and my home isn't worth much either.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote