Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your debt to total asset ratio?
I have no debt whatsoever, not even a credit card bill 149 51.03%
<10% 98 33.56%
10-19.99% 27 9.25%
20-29.99% 10 3.42%
30-39.99% 5 1.71%
40% or greater 3 1.03%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 09:02 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's obvious as 126 people here have no debt whatsoever.

None. Zero.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2016, 12:18 AM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

<2% actually. I took a small mortgage when I retired to Reno. It's about 25% of what rent would be. Should pay it off, but I prefer the cash, just in case. (3% interest and essentially the equivalent of financing a car.)
Old 09-28-2016, 12:32 AM   #123

In accounting terms I suppose this is correct.
Practically, to me (you are free to disagree) it doesn't matter whether I'm paying monthly costs from a credit card, cash in my wallet, a bank check, barter labor or flattery. . . . I get points from the CC I use to travel to check on my Aged Parental Unit every 3 months--not sure how to account for that. I suppose that's debt.
I'll stick with my response, even if it offends definitional OCDs.

I think many here have too much free time on their hands to quarrel about whether paying by check or paying a monthly credit card by check is debt or not. I'm not an accountant, though (DW is). Whatever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
In fairness, many people who said they had "no debt" admit to having credit cards that they pay off each month. I would call that current debt. But whatever. I am also surprised at the overwhelming majority of respondents to date who say their debt ratio is <10%. I suspect that if more young people responded, that picture might change.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:04 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
Exactly. That's why zero debt in this poll is always the wrong answer if you go by that argument, even if you pay cash for everything. The only way you wouldn't be lying is if you said you prepaid all your utilities AND taxes upfront before the liability is incurred. And I mean all taxes.

Which of course no one does, so we're all answering wrong if you buy that.

This is a very strange view. Debt is generally defined where interest rates are in affect. A monthly service that 0's out each month with no financing charge is hardly considered a debt by reasonable people.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-28-2016, 09:27 AM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLJ View Post
I think many here have too much free time on their hands to quarrel about whether paying by check or paying a monthly credit card by check is debt or not. I'm not an accountant, though (DW is). Whatever!
I wouldn't be too quick to take an accountant's word on financial matters anyway. Two accountant friends I know and my own brother are not good with their own money - go figure.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:55 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

I don't consider my CC balances as debt. Since I pay in full every month, I call it "float"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 09-28-2016, 10:02 AM   #127

So are those 92 voters accountants who are taking the term 'debt' literally or posters who carry debt month to month? FWIW: I don't consider property taxes & earthquake ins as debt even though they're paid in full each DEC 10th
Old 09-28-2016, 10:09 AM   #128
Full time employment: Posting here.

Zero, except for cc paid off monthly. The feeling of being debt-free is priceless.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #129

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
zero debt
Old 09-29-2016, 11:44 AM   #130

I'm at 30%, but it's only the mortgage which will be paid off before I go into semi-retirement in ~9 years. No car loans, no student loans, no CC debt etc.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:40 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
This is a very strange view. Debt is generally defined where interest rates are in affect. A monthly service that 0's out each month with no financing charge is hardly considered a debt by reasonable people.
Debt has nothing to do with the interest rate, there's plenty of people that buy cars or furniture at zero percent interest. Same for borrowing money from your family.

Debt to most consumers is getting a loan that's paid back over time. Charging stuff on a CC and paying it back when the monthly bill comes is not debt under that understanding, just like it isn't for utility bills or taxes due. But strictly speaking it IS debt because you owe another party for goods or services rendered. Or you have a tax liability that has to be paid, so you owe the gov't. before the tax due date. And legally it will be treated as debt if you fail to pay.

We just don't think of it that way because you don't obtain a formal loan with monthly payments, even though that's really what you're doing informally from month to month.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:50 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
Interest rate has nothing to do with the definition of a debt. When I started my first real job my parents lent me a thousand pounds, interest free, to buy a car. I was indebted to them but paid off my debt within six months. Many years later, I helped out a colleague at work with an interest free debt. I made it clear that I expected the money back, but would not be charging interest. In Japan, you can borrow money at negative interest rates, but you are indebted until you repay the principal (or most of it).
Old 09-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

This thread has certainly reinforced for me that basic financial concepts are foreign to many people, even those who are successful in life.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:59 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This thread has certainly reinforced for me that basic financial concepts are foreign to many people, even those who are successful in life.
Or that people can arrive in the same place via different routes.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 09-29-2016, 03:37 PM   #135

Quote:
Interest rate has nothing to do with the definition of a debt. When I started my first real job my parents lent me a thousand pounds, interest free, to buy a car. I was indebted to them but paid off my debt within six months. Many years later, I helped out a colleague at work with an interest free debt. I made it clear that I expected the money back, but would not be charging interest. In Japan, you can borrow money at negative interest rates, but you are indebted until you repay the principal (or most of it).
I completely agree with your definition of debt as it matches exactly what I was taught getting my degree as well (I only have the one degree though).

However, I also understand that "debt free" in the common vernacular is used as, and understood as, not having loans or carrying a balance on a credit card or having other similar types of debt, and not to mean there is no balance owed on any account.

So while it is correct to say that no one is debt free in this country (everyone owes someone something, even if it's just property taxes or utility bills etc), using the common vernacular understanding of the word is also acceptable in normal conversation.

You're free to call up Dave Ramsey every day and explain to him that neither he, nor any of his callers, are "debt free" no matter how many of them call up to shout it through their phones, but people will similarly be free to think of you as the person who responds to "can you help me?" by saying "I can.. do you want me to though? The correct way to ask what you were tying to say is 'will you help me'" etc, which is to say by rolling their eyes and saying "everyone knew what was meant, why ya gotta be like that".
Old 09-30-2016, 07:23 AM   #136
Recycles dryer sheets

I am surprised by the number of folks with no Mortgage. As a financial strategy a fixed rate 2.75% Mortgage makes sense unless you believe your portfolio cannot match that return over a 15 year period. I do understand it if one is stuffing money in a mattress and gets no return at all, or locks themselves up in long term low rate bonds.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:30 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanky View Post
I am surprised by the number of folks with no Mortgage. As a financial strategy a fixed rate 2.75% Mortgage makes sense unless you believe your portfolio cannot match that return over a 15 year period. I do understand it if one is stuffing money in a mattress and gets no return at all, or locks themselves up in long term low rate bonds.
At least in retirement, having a mortgage increases your financial risk. You may reasonably believe you can do better than your mortgage interest rate, but in retirement, you may not be willing to make such a bet.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:59 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanky View Post
From a purely financial prospect, investing with an expectation of returns exceeding mortgage rate interest is the "smart" thing to do as it maximizes net worth. However, paying off a mortgage also gives a larger cushion between "income" and "bills" which can significantly reduce a person's "financial stress". Peace of mind can be worth a lot of money to many people.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:28 AM   #139

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
From a purely financial prospect, investing with an expectation of returns exceeding mortgage rate interest is the "smart" thing to do as it maximizes net worth. However, paying off a mortgage also gives a larger cushion between "income" and "bills" which can significantly reduce a person's "financial stress". Peace of mind can be worth a lot of money to many people.
+1
and it makes for a much simpler balance sheet.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:33 AM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
+1
and it makes for a much simpler balance sheet.
But, if you don't take out a mortgage where do you input the interest payments that you haven't got to pay because there isn't one? It's all soooo confusing.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Closed Thread