Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is your investment style?
Bogelhead: exclusively (or nearly so) index fund asset allocator. 38 31.40%
Back-sliding Bogelhead: Asset allocator willing to use actively-managed funds. 28 23.14%
Traditional mutual fund owner: Own mainly actively-managed funds, e.g. Vanguard Wellington or Fidelity Magellan. 15 12.40%
Stock-picker: Purchase individual stocks or ETF based on fundamental analysis. 8 6.61%
Technician: Purchase individual stocks or ETFs based on technical analysis, e.g. moving averages. 0 0%
Equity avoider: Own mainly CDs and/or bonds. 4 3.31%
Client: Uses a professional portfolio manager, follows a paid newsletter, or purchased a significant annuity. 2 1.65%
Other or a mix. 26 21.49%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: What kind of investor are you?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Poll: What kind of investor are you?

My apologies if this duplicates a recent poll. I didn't see one.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Today, I'm a very happy, surprised investor. Ran the one-year-out numbers on my PF, and it's 3.5% up from the starting number; that is, after one year at a 4% withdrawal rate.

I've been a very typical investor, starting out with 100% equities until a big downturn gave me the idea of adding bonds. I looked for simple mutual funds that might have some upside potential. Somewhere along the line I also learned how to break the inertia and sell, and then buy again.

Edit: poll wasn't up when I posted: I voted Other as it changes over time, I use both actively managed equity funds and (somewhat new to me) indexes, and a lot in bond funds.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

random. have Wellesly (oops - whadda we have?), individual stocks, ETFs, gold shares and physical, hunch and rumor buys...

Morningstar says we are +16.91% YTD, -14.2% for the past 12 months, and +4.5% since purchase. That doesn't count physical gold appreciation since 11/1999 or so or the tax loss selling of some big ol' losers over the years. Also sold some winners, but mostly big ol' losers. Rental property is beating our stock performance handily, but Wellesley doesn't complain about the neighbors or flush toys down the toilet.

Still holding GM stock (why is it going up and down?) and BAC (still in the negative area for us).
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Mostly an asset allocator -- with a little bit of Graham/Dodd/Buffett "margin of safety" value investing and blue chip dividend investing.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Index fund asset allocator here; I'm lazy. ;-)
Lusitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Age 51 retired... 30/55/15. The stock portion is in mutual funds. I have some individual stocks on the side to take care of the hormonal urge.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Most of our portfolio consists of index funds. I do own however a number of managed funds, namely Welligton, Wellesley and PIMCO Total Return. The latter is the only bond fund available in DW's 401k, so it wasn't really my choice, but we could do much worse. No individual stocks except for company stock.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Backsliding Boglehead here. My largest core funds are all VG indexed. I have a few actively managed funds with smaller stakes.
Teeny tiny stake in a single biotech stock just for fun.
Pre-FIRE AA = 60/40
Post-FIRE AA = 50/50
Post 2008 AA = 40/60 with maximum 10% drift toward equities (50/50) allowed before a rebalance (or redirect DCA) exercise would kick in.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I'm an other.
Mostly actively managed mutual funds.
Also an LP available through my employer which is managed by a handful of boutique money managers.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
I voted other.........
Old 09-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I voted other.........

I'm certainly in a transition phase right now. I have gone from roughly a 50/50 blend just a couple of weeks ago to 25/75 now. Might go even lower when the time presents itself on a couple of stocks. Most of what I own in equities are individual stocks but do own a couple of managed funds. Will keep a few stocks going forward and maybe a few ETF's. I doubt I will ever rise above 30% equities in the future. Just a wuss at this point.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Just a wuss at this point.
Hmmm...you have a "name" for your investing. I don't have a name, I have a noise; ehhhhummmhmmmplbbbbttttt...
Old 09-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Hmmm...you have a "name" for your investing.
I believe he calls it "lumpy forehead" investing.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I believe he calls it "lumpy forehead" investing.
My liver can't hold up to the massive amounts of med's required during market crashes.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Hmmm...you have a "name" for your investing. I don't have a name, I have a noise; ehhhhummmhmmmplbbbbttttt...
Hmmm... Wuss...Stimulating Investing
Been drinking high gravity beers again. May need help
Steve
PS. Also, been to dentist, in mucho pain. So over look, brain numb or dead possibly. Called in for pain medication from said dentist, now waiting to go pick up from pharmacy.
Honest ingine/engine/indian
Hit send button. will I regret it? Will know in the morning.
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
. Also, been to dentist, in mucho pain. So over look, brain numb or dead possibly. Called in for pain medication from said dentist, now waiting to go pick up from pharmacy.
Honest ingine/engine/indian
Hit send button. will I regret it? Will know in the morning.
Oh you poor guy. I just got back from the dentist a little while ago. Only sat in the chair for an hour. I'm in no pain, but my mouth is tingly...

Hope you feel better soon...
Old 09-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I doubt I will ever rise above 30% equities in the future. Just a wuss at this point.
So nice to see you without the trademark headbanging, Dawg. I'm glad this market rebound has given you (and others) a chance to rebalance your portfolio.
Lusitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:30 PM   #17

Like in most polls, I am an "Other". I have a jumble of investments that I am only now trying to sort out and wrap my head around. My dear Aunt put me on to Vanguard a number of years ago and I am using them for more investments. I'm also trying to read more to educate myself.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:54 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Mostly individual stocks and bonds. As I get closer to FIRE I will be diversifying mor broadly in an effort to stay wealthy rather than get wealthy.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:06 PM   #19

I voted 'other'.

I think of myself as a 'Boglehead' and believe in the concept. It's just getting to be a long journey to get there. Current AA is approx:
Index funds: 30%
Individual stocks (dividend): 15%
Former mega-corp ESO: 40%
Cash: 15%
I'm slowly getting there.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:15 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Not really my style, but it is my position today. Short and intermediate term bonds mainly. Some individual and mutual fund tips. Stocks, only company 401K matches. I believe in timing somewhat so I'm waiting for the fundamentals to stabilize before getting back in stocks. My plan is to build a Larry Swedroe's like portfolio along next year.
Radiophilejapan is offline   Reply With Quote