Poll:What % of your retirement stash is Taxable vs IRA, tIRA, 401k or Equivalents?

What % of your retirement stash is Taxable vs IRA, tIRA, 401k or Equivalents?

• 100% Tax Deferred

Votes: 26 10.2%
  • 100 % Taxable

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • 80% Deferred 20% Taxable

Votes: 68 26.7%
  • 60% Deferred 40% Taxable

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • 50% Deferred 50% Taxable

Votes: 49 19.2%
  • 20% Deferred 80% Taxable

Votes: 35 13.7%
  • Some Other Deferred/Taxable Split

Votes: 30 11.8%

• Total voters

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I was just mulling over our 60% Taxable vs 40% Tax Deferred (tIRAs In our Case) Financial Nest Egg. I was just curious what other folks percentages were. Roth IRA falls into Tax Deferred for the ease of polling

This Poll is for Cash, Stock, Bond or equivalents. Not including Property, Homes, Cars, Tractors, Airplanes, Boats Etc.

It would help if votes were as close as possible as opposed to folks saying none fit my scenario, if that is the case, please do not vote.

Last edited:
100% Tax deferred. At 24% federal and a 6% state tax bracket, no plans on changing that. :)

How do we account for Roth IRAs? 40% tax deferred, 35% taxable, 25% tax free.

I'm assuming you're wanting Roth money to go in the tax deferred line - even though it's not tax deferred, it's tax free?

Using that criteria, I'm unfortunately around 90% tax deferred.

Strange. You state mulling over a 60% Taxable plus 40% Tax Deferred allocation, yet you don't have it listed in the poll. That's about where we're at, primarily because our move from Silicon Valley (CA) to central Texas in late 2018 netted us quite a bit of cash (post capital gains taxes) after the sale of our CA house and purchase of a TX house.

Last edited:
15% Deferred (tIRA)
24% Taxable (After-tax investments)
61% Tax free (Roth)

I'm assuming you're wanting Roth money to go in the tax deferred line - even though it's not tax deferred, it's tax free?

Using that criteria, I'm unfortunately around 90% tax deferred.
I also find this a problem. I'm 55/30/15 tax-deferred/tax-free/taxable. I followed your advice and chose the 80/10 split in your poll, but I think you should want tax-free money aligned with taxable (lower tax on gains is more in line with tax free money than it is with ordinary income rates on tax deferred).

When I retired at the end of 2011, I was 44% taxable, 53% tax-deferred and 3% tax-free.

Since then I have done lots of Roth conversions which moves funds from tax-deferred to tax free and until a couple years ago we used taxable for spending and taxes on Roth conversions.

Today we are 18% taxable, 55% tax-deferred and 27% tax-free. Taxable has stayed the same because growth has exceeded Roth conversions.

I recently changed tactic and we are leaving taxable alone so I expect that it will grow wih equity returns (and hopefully eventually get a stepped-up basis so unrealized appreciation is never taxed). Tax-deferred will decline slightly as a result of annual Roth conversions exceeding interest income and tax-free will grow steadily as equity returns and annual Roth conversions exceed withdrawals for spending.

Last edited:
We’re 50-50. It’s working out nicely for us.

Not sure which button to vote with, other covers a lot of ground? About 30% tax deferred but that’ll mostly be tax free in 5-7 years.

69% tax-deferred. I didn't vote.

50%, but currently spending taxable, so eventually close to 100% tax-deferred.

I'm spending down the IRA while tax rates are low.

85% TIRA
3% Roth
Managing ACA income, so can't really convert too much on the Roth side until 65 y.o. except for some for the DGF.
At 65 y.o, will need some more of the TIRA, so Roth conversions will never be heavy.
Satisfied in the end, as the TIRA was earned partially in the 33% bracket.

There should have been more choices, especially for more than 50% taxable. I answered "Other" because of that.

I have 33% taxable account & 67% tax deferred accounts.. but I also track tax free.

32% is tax free (ROTH, HSA, cash, cost basis on taxable account)
15% is taxable (LTCG)
53% is tax deferred (tIRA)

55% TIRA/401K. Even with aggressive Roth conversions over the next 12-13 years I see a big ol' tax torpedo headed my way.

Back
Top Bottom