Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Russia

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Australia/NZ

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Africa

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
I didn't realize until now that I am not the only Japanese here! (Japan does not give out dual, so as long as my mom/dad are alive (in Japan), I am keeping my Japanese citizenship, although I've lived here since my 20's.)

It would not be Japan giving you dual, it would be the U.S.

I don't know about Japan, but there are quite a few countries who don't allow their citizens to have dual citizenship. It won't matter if USA does not care when your native country "throws you out" if they learn you have taken another citizenship.

That's interesting about dual citizenship. Obviously pro's and con's. Canadians have heard a lot about the tax problems of non resident US citizens recently and this has affected my thinking. Also, having a house in Arizona, I spend a lot of time trying to avoid US residency let alone citizenship. Thanks.

Come on, guys, over 16,500 registered users and only 212 votes? Let's find out our group's geographic/nationality profile! :flowers:

If this site uses google analytics or something similar, you should be able to get a detailed breakdown of users --> IP addresses --> countries.

That's interesting about dual citizenship. Obviously pro's and con's. Canadians have heard a lot about the tax problems of non resident US citizens recently and this has affected my thinking. Also, having a house in Arizona, I spend a lot of time trying to avoid US residency let alone citizenship. Thanks.

You should also recognize that most if not all of the US tax disadvantages come already with a permanent residency (green card). At least when I "upgraded" from green card to citizenship 11 years ago, the citizenship only brought me benefits. Voting rights and eligibility for government jobs were alread mentioned, but at least back then also death tax treatment for permanent residents was much worse than for citizens.

Grainiac said:
You should also recognize that most if not all of the US tax disadvantages come already with a permanent residency (green card). At least when I "upgraded" from green card to citizenship 11 years ago, the citizenship only brought me benefits. Voting rights and eligibility for government jobs were alread mentioned, but at least back then also death tax treatment for permanent residents was much worse than for citizens.

Interesting still. Tax liability comes with green card-even if you subsequently cease to be a resident? Death taxes are also an issue for those with US assets even if they are not residents.

Danmar said:
Interesting still. Tax liability comes with green card-even if you subsequently cease to be a resident? Death taxes are also an issue for those with US assets even if they are not residents.

If you give up your Green Card or US citizenship you have to fill out an "expatriation form" and file it with the IRS. If you verify that you are up to date with your last 5 years taxes and your net worth is below some number around $1.5M ( I don't remember the exact number) then you can be free of the IRS. However, in practice many people will have assets in the US so they will still have to comply with IRS regs. For example if a long term Green Card holder with US 401k or pensions gives up US residency to retires abroad they still have to deal with the tax implications of retirement income in the US and their new residence country. Luckily it's usually easy if you are a not a US citizen as tax treaties are set up so there would be no US tax due, just tax in the residence country. But you have to be careful that the 401k/IRA provider understands not to withhold any tax. If you are a US citizen things are a bit more complicated as you have to pay US tax and then ale a tax credit in your residence country.

Justcurious,

Just like Grain said, Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship. It doesn't matter with which foreign country.

JustCurious said:
It would not be Japan giving you dual, it would be the U.S.

If this site uses google analytics or something similar, you should be able to get a detailed breakdown of users --> IP addresses --> countries.

According to Alexa:
66.7 % of viewers are in the USA
9.8% of viewers are in India
4.0% of viewers are in the Phllipines sp

The other 19.5% are scattered around the world.

Justcurious,

Just like Grain said, Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship. It doesn't matter with which foreign country.

Germany has some complex citizenship laws. You can be a dual citizen of Germany and the US by birth, but if you apply for US citizenship voluntarily you have to renounce your German citizenship unless you get special permission to keep it from the German Government. Of course the oath that you take at the US citizenship ceremony requires you to give up any previous allegiances to foreign countries so Germany and the US are on the same page.

It's ok to have dual German and other EU citizenship.

Of course the oath that you take at the US citizenship ceremony requires you to give up any previous allegiances to foreign countries...
It has been more than 30 years for me, but this was what I remember. Only when coming to this forum that I saw people openly talked about dual citizenship.

It has been more than 30 years for me, but this was what I remember. Only when coming to this forum that I saw people openly talked about dual citizenship.

The US does not recognise dual citizenship, but then again it doesn't forbid it either. When you become a US citizen you are not required to give up a previous citizenship, but you are supposed to give up your allegiance to a foreign country. There is no law to stop you from continuing to use a foreign passport or, say, participate in foreign benefit schemes you qualify for through your original citizenship, however, if you are applying for US Government jobs that require a security clearance doing so would be evidence of a "foreign preference" and you would be refused clearance.

In the case of the UK what you say in a US citizenship ceremony has no impact on UK citizenship. So unless you go through the official UK renouncement procedure you will continue to be a UK citizen after taking US citizenship. Each country basically ignores your other citizenship. the UK is more forgiving as they don't mind if you enter the UK on your US passport, while it's illegal for a US citizen to enter the US on a foreign passport.

The fun starts when taxation and investing come into the picture as it's possible to get into some "Catch-22" situations.

You remember correctly, but renouncing allegiance to another country is not the same as renouncing citizenship. (my bold in the quote below).

To renounce citizenship you have to do so in the presence of a consulate official of the country (at least that is the case for giving up UK citizenship)

https://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/dual-citizenship.html

Dual Citizenship: The U.S. government allows dual citizenship. United States law recognizes U.S. Dual Citizenship, but the U.S. government does not encourage it is as a matter of policy due to the problems that may arise from it. It is important to understand that a foreign citizen does NOT lose his or her citizenship when becoming a U.S. citizen. An individual that becomes a U.S. citizen through naturalization may keep his or her original citizenship. However, as some countries do not recognize dual citizenship, it is important to consider it carefully before applying for U.S. citizenship.

Dual citizenship is a complex issue and it is important to understand that there are not only benefits but also obligations that comes with being a dual citizen. Being a citizen of two countries means that you need to obey the laws of both countries, which may include paying taxes and serving in the military. The "United States Dual Citizenship Guide"explains these issues in detail.

I have 3 US, Canada and UK. My Frineds call me 00 Ian (Double O). :)

US is the only nanny state that is taxed on WW income even when not living there. Remember the old slogan "Your Country Needs You" in the US is it "Your Country Owns You", at least this seems to be how it is percieved in some countries. I find it quite commical when I am in other countries. I get ridiculed on occasion for ever becoming an American. Conversly I try to explain that the US is a great place to be, expecially if you keep your nose clean (Nudge Nudge Wink Wink) and do not get caught up in the hype. It certainly has been good to DW and I. But you cannot tell come people.

Last edited:
My children have three as well - keeping track of the passport renewals etc is a real pain. I'm looking forward to them becoming old enough to do it all themselves.

It sure can be a real pain with just two. With current security requirements I actually now have to fly to my old country's embassy in Washington DC, as they can nowadays only accept applications in person. Just glad I am not living in a country where they don't even have an embassy.

It sure can be a real pain with just two. With current security requirements I actually now have to fly to my old country's embassy in Washington DC, as they can nowadays only accept applications in person. Just glad I am not living in a country where they don't even have an embassy.

We can go the HK and UK passports here in Hong Kong. The New Zealand consulate stopped doing passports several years ago so we now have to post the applications to Wellington.

Most ex-pats usually end that sentence with the word "FROM"!

Not quite sure what you mean here. We like living in the USA. The only thing that will "Force" us to leave is the healthcare situation. But we will return for 212 days per year :).

PS. Your Quote should Read... "Life's been good To Me,so far"! -J.Walsh

With reference to the Passport situation I only use 2. USA and EU. Getting back into the US is so much easier with a US Passport, getting everywhere else in the world is easier without one, and in some cases safer. I use my EU everywhere else. The Canadians do not seem to care as long as you have "a" passport. The Canadian passport is too inconvenient to get and only lasts 5 years so I do not bother. I just use my Citizenship card with my EU.

Last edited:
The Canadian passport is too inconvenient to get and only lasts 5 years so I do not bother.
I believe they're looking at, or intending to introduce, 10 year passports effective 2013.

With reference to the Passport situation I only use 2. USA and EU. Getting back into the US is so much easier with a US Passport, getting everywhere else in the world is easier without one, and in some cases safer. I use my EU everywhere else. The Canadians do not seem to care as long as you have "a" passport. The Canadian passport is too inconvenient to get and only lasts 5 years so I do not bother. I just use my Citizenship card with my EU.

I do the same. Leaving and entering the US I use the US passport, I must by law. Once I'm out of the US I use the UK passport. It makes getting into EU countries trivial and you don't have to worry about any immigration or visa stuff. Unfortunately doing that shows a foreign preference which means I'd have difficulty getting a US security clearance if I ever wanted one. Still US citizenship is mostly a pragmatic voting, financial and SS safety, it has no emotional resonance for me. Once I leave the US the US citizenship becomes a bit of a pain as it will complicate taxes so much.

Back
Top Bottom