Poll:Which are you/will you be? SIRE or FIRE?

Which are you/will you be? SIRE or FIRE?

• SIRE, more than 50% covered by Corp or Govt benefits

Votes: 66 38.4%
  • FIRE, more than 50% covered by your own personal holdings

Votes: 106 61.6%

• Total voters
I'm a little surprised, I thought it would be just the opposite based on earlier answers. I am guessing that while there are quite a few here with pensions and/or retiree health care, most have considerable private holdings as well.

I am in this camp.

Because traditional pensions are usually not transferable I realized at age 37 when I started work for my 4th company that I was also started anew on my 4th pension scheme and that I would probably be leaving that company as well before I retired so then began working on Plan B, and started to save for retirement rather than rely on a company pension. Of course, 18 years later and I'm still with the company so I am very fortunate indeed. :angel:

I'm a little surprised, I thought it would be just the opposite based on earlier answers. I am guessing that while there are quite a few here with pensions and/or retiree health care, most have considerable private holdings as well.
Going back to my earlier comments -- it seems like people who are *already* retired are more likely to have significant pensions than those who are still w*rking toward FIRE.

Which means either those who don't are getting better starts than most folks or else they are kidding themselves about being able to retire as early without one. :)

SIRE for me too. 32 years with mega-corp so pension is cushion that allows for "confident" ER. Could ER without it but given the choice, I consider myself very fortunate to be SIRE.
We are also wise with our spending so could FIRE too if necessary but SIRE it is.

Back
Top Bottom