Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What is the primary reason why you LBYM?
A 6 4.44%
B 41 30.37%
C 8 5.93%
D 25 18.52%
E 34 25.19%
F 13 9.63%
G 8 5.93%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Why do you LBYM?
Old 02-13-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Poll: Why do you LBYM?

A) You lived in another country, and are somewhat innoculated from American consumerism.

B) You grew up poor, or, your parents lived below their means, and you never forgot the value of a dollar as an adult.

C) At some point during your adult life, you suffered some financially catastrophic event (ie loss of job, health issue, loss of family member, etc) that caused you to re-evaluate your lifestyle and adopt an LBYM lifestyle.

D) At some point during your adult life (usually middle age) you realized that if you kept spending every dollar that you made, you would not get ahead and you would never be able to retire comfortably, so you got religion and started LBYM.

E) You were born frugal, and it's just the way you are.

F) You witnessed the effects of overspending and a lack of financial discipline by your parents or other role models, and you vowed it would never happen to you.

G) A different reason. (Please elaborate)

I know that for some of you there may be a combination of reasons, but for the purpose of simplicity of this poll, please select the primary reason.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Poll: Why do you LBYM?
Old 02-13-2007, 04:30 PM   #2

You need another choice on your poll.

H) You realized that if you didn't spend all your money that you could retire young and buy your life back.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:31 PM   #3

Master, wouldn't that be "D"?
Old 02-13-2007, 04:38 PM   #4

JC:

Oh I suppose. But it doesn't have to occur to you to opt out of the consumption/work forever con game during your adult years.

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:39 PM   #5

Master, then it would be "E".
Old 02-13-2007, 04:39 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

I voted G.

I have a DW that was born in another country and is very frugal. Without her I would probably spend way too much. She keep me under control.

I did grow up poor and didn't want to live my live that way either.

Larry
Old 02-13-2007, 04:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious
Master, then it would be "E".
Quit calling him master! I keep getting images of Kane in Kung Fu!

F for me by proxy.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:51 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious
B) You grew up poor, or, your parents lived below their means, and you never forgot the value of a dollar as an adult.
B) for both DW and me. My parents made me deliver papers and mow lawns as a kid, so I learned the value of a dollar. Plus in the high-tech industry there is a lot of uncertainty.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:04 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I voted A. I lived in the US for three years and the consumerism was quite a shock. It's easier to avoid it in Canada.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:10 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

D) Sorta. In my first professional job (after B school) I got a perfect job rating and a 20% raise one year, and got laid off (with a big chunk of the rest of the company) a year later.

Not really a catastrophy, since I didn't have kids / mortgage / etc. but it was certainly a wake-up call. I realized that there is NO job security in the tech industry. At-will employment at its finest.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:27 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

I pick "B", the poor one.

It tends to make me look like a self-made man. Seriously, I learned a lot from observing how my folks raised 5 kids, sent them all to Catholic schools, graduated all five from Florida State University. All on Dad's salary of about $120/ week at the end.

As my younger sister often reminds me, "We were damn poor growing up, but did not know it!"

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:34 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I grew up poor, we were always on the edge of not eating or paying the rent or some other bill. There were constant fights about money and who spent it on what usually my Father drank it as fast as he made it. Even with careful monitoring by my Mother there was never enough money for even the simple things like twent-five cents a week so I could learn to play an instrument in the school band. When I got married I had a spend-thrift for a husband lots of arguments about money and what we should buy and for how much and why save money?

Once divorced I got the bills paid and got on the path to finnacial freedom. Now I have just enough to be retired and pay my bills with enough (I hope) for those unexpected things that come up. Do I regret being tight with a buck? No I don't, I regret not bouncing the spend it now guy sooner.

I still have a healthy fear of poverty, it keeps me on the right path. I would rather die with money in the bank than in a charity ward at the county hospital like my Father.

Kitty
Old 02-13-2007, 05:42 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Hey kitty, off topic, but how have you been? Health on the mend?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:09 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM

Used to LBYM, during the 7 year ramp up to FIRE. Now we Live right on the edge! I no longer have a reason to save significantly, the emergency fund is in place, and the income more than meets expenses. The excess is a blast spending on completely frivolous items that give us enjoyment. We could rationalize away, but that is the simple truth. 8)
Old 02-13-2007, 06:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyM
Now we Live right on the edge! I no longer have a reason to save significantly, the emergency fund is in place, and the income more than meets expenses. The excess is a blast spending on completely frivolous items that give us enjoyment. We could rationalize away, but that is the simple truth. 8)
You are my role model JonnyM!!
Old 02-13-2007, 06:19 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I voted E. I didn't grow up poor, but I remember at a young age listening to my mother on the phone and hearing her say "Fine, you will have my resignation on your desk in the morning" and being scared to death we wouldn't have any food (she was a nurse, she had a job at another hospital the next day). I remember my father coming home upset because two co-workers had been laid off and they had families and no way to support them. As far back as I can remember, I think I always saved money....half my allowance, a portion of my paycheck (no matter how small).

My sibling, OTOH, has filed for bankruptcy twice. Go figure.
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:26 PM   #17

I picked D. My story has been posted before so I won't go into that again. However now that DH and I are FIRED we see no reason to change. We are frugal when it comes to the day to day stuff so that we can spend on the fun stuff. For example I still clip coupons and shop for the best deal, we keep to our pre- FIRE budget, by now it is a habit. We are not actively saving and are using the income from our investments to fund the hobbies and trips we now have time for.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:22 AM   #18

my father died when I was 17 5 months before I was to start university, and left my mom with just enough income to live on.

I had to learn to make it through university with social security, a modest cheque from National Merit, and what I could make at a summer job.

The discipline I learned at that point just stayed with me, as it became clear to me that controlling consumption was far more effective than trying to grub for more money. At the time, my options for increasing income were limited (unless I wanted to withdraw). Once I started working full-time, it just stayed with me.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:27 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I think it's "cool" to LBYM, since the average Joe won't..........

Actually, I have a few LBYM folks aroud me, and we all laugh at the new huge homes with the two new leased Lexuses in the garage that are being built nearby................

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:59 AM   #20

I voted F after watching my immigrant parents work two jobs in order to buy a home, pay the bills and put me and my sister through University. Growing up, we basically lived paycheque to paycheque.