portfolio change

runnerr

Recycles dryer sheets
What percentage or dollar figure is your portfolio down (or) is up since the market started its decline?

Mine was 9% YTD on 07/03/07
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/lets-brag-about-mid-year-performance-28584.html

Today's YTD is 2%

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

07-04-2007, 03:48 AM
I guess some here won't believe me, but 1H return is 71%

about 90% is in HK. Mostly micro and nano caps. Big exposure to real estate stocks.

10% is in micro and nano caps in the US

I was very lucky this year. In the future I aim to 20-30% a year

As some of you might recall, yona had the most impressive gain on the above "Let's brag about..." thread. I wonder if he would come back here and give us and update?

Last edited:
The answers should be all over the map since it will depend on one's asset allocation. We appear to be down about 7% from the peak and about even with where we were in May.

I only add up my numbers monthly. In July, I was down about 0.7%.

But of course the numbers are worse in the last 2 weeks.

My overall portfolio, as of 8/14, is down 6.4% from the 7/19 highs, still up 2.15% YTD (overall about 70% stocks, 30% bonds/cash). Portfolio value back to 5/15 level.

Last edited:
from ~18% to about 0.5%.
The highest was a Candadian fund...was up 30%, now at ~9%...if only they were all like that.

-Mach

my only good news so far this year is that i've been so busy losing so much money in real estate that i didn't have a chance to lose a whole lot on the stock market.

Down nearly 7.0% from my June 15 peak.....about $150k!

How much further to go:confused:??

About 7%...I'm not happy either:mad: but holding on best I can. It's amazing how one can feel really rich one day and then feel very poor the next. I know it's only a feeling, not a reality (yet anyway) but still it does make you wonder how things will pan out and how secure you will be in the future.

down about 4% from high. +2% Ytd.

Last edited:
As of yesterday down about 6% from high. As fast as the market has fallen might be good news. Maybe this panic will end soon and the market can stabilize and find a base to grow again.

Ugh! Well, since I am still working and putting everything I can afford into the investment account to get to FIRE ASAP, I am at the same place I was last month. But I sold some business assets this month and the proceeds have suddenly disappeared...that alone is a 4% loss. Ignoring the added business loss and things are down about 1.5% for a total of 5.5% this month.

Oh well, live and learn and live some more...

Last edited:
sold back in June. up 6.4% YTD

too early, but good enough for me.

sold back in June. up 6.4% YTD

too early, but good enough for me.

Good move. I'm just not smart enough to time the market. Thats why I have 9-10 years worth of cd's/cash. Gives me a cushion for several years and hopefully the market will average out ok during that time period. If I take SS at 62, that will take some pressure off the portfolio as well.

Wish I had the smarts to move in and out of the market like Ha Ha and the rest. Ha seems to have the knack to focus on the good sectors and bail when the time is right. I guess I spend too much time focusing on the old golf ball. :-\

i didn't sell at the top, around 1490 on the SP500. last night i was rereading the chapter about market tops in William O'Neill's book. He only goes by price and volume, but in another technical analysis book i partly read it said to look at the MACD indicator.

if you look at a rally/correction cycle the MACD goes up the first month or so. then it starts into a downtrend for 4-6 months before another correction takes place. MACD looked like it flashed a correction after the first drop from the high to the 50 day line, i sold and then it shot up again to 1557 or so and then the real drop took place. need to read up some more for the future. luckily spotting market bottoms is easier. not 100% foolproof but good enough based on past rallies to use it.

Before the month is out i'm going to get my hands on a copy of Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets by John Murphy. Apparently it's also a text book in a lot of financial courses.

if the SP500 keeps dropping i'll be up 8% or so for the year unless my money market fund goes belly up as well. go to a 401k calculator and see the results if you outperform the SP500 by 1% a year. i'm happy this year so far

Seems like I'm down maybe 10% from the peak. I'm guessing I'm pretty close to a YTD of 1% - 2% (if I'm lucky). About $500K of value evaporated. There goes my cabin.

Probably a great time to buy. I'm just to chicken to bet anything bigger than $5 - $10K in options.

Seems like I'm down maybe 10% from the peak. I'm guessing I'm pretty close to a YTD of 1% - 2% (if I'm lucky). About $500K of value evaporated. There goes my cabin.

Probably a great time to buy. I'm just to chicken to bet anything bigger than $5 - $10K in options.

Mike, if your down 10% at 500K you must have 4.5M left. Go get the cabin, your going to make it. (heh)

I don't even want to calculate. We're right in the middle of changing asset allocation due to a brokerage move, and we just hadn't gotten to it yet. We do not need the money for 10 years or so (will retire earlier on taxable dollars) so calculating this would just be misery.

On a better not I started with a new company 2 months ago and was happy to see that the 401k match calculates on entire year, not by quarter so they are really loading funds in for me quickly. My last company did it by quarter so you had to spread out your contributions or miss some match.

What percentage or dollar figure is your portfolio down (or) is up since the market started its decline?

No idea. I don't record that closely. 1% up for the year so not exactly raking it in this year.

Including the benefits of Friday's rally, I'm up 5.1% for the year. On July 13, I was up 13.4%. The last month did a pretty good job on me but being up 5.1% in August is still a pretty decent year so far.

This current volatility isn't unusual. What's been happening over the last 4 years is. This is our first decent correction and we should be seeing one about every 18 - 24 months. What's happened so far may not be the end of the correction. Our drop has so far peaked out just over 10%. 20% isn't unusual for these things.

This is why you asset allocate and don't go too heavily into fringe holdings. In the long run, sure and steady wins the race. Every asset class or country can have a good few years but history says that they will eventually even out. There's no free lunch.

I've got 7 years of living expenses in cash and CDs. I'm way over paid in a stress free j*b that lets me save about 20% of my gross. I think I can handle this blip.

BTW -- I was a dedicated stock technical analyst for years. That crap does not work. You might as well flip a coin when it comes to predicting market moves. Technical analysis does make you sound so stock sophisticated when you talk about what did happen.

Back
Top Bottom