Join Early Retirement Today

Possibly obscure trust taxation question
Old 10-30-2017, 11:08 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Possibly obscure trust taxation question

My Mom died last year and some of my parents' assets ended up in a marital bypass/credit shelter trust.

This year the assets in the trust are generating income, and I've figured out that it makes sense to distribute most of that income to my Dad (the current beneficiary) because it'll get taxed preferentially on his return rather than the trust return.

The trust will still owe a small amount of taxes on the income that it retains. I can imagine two relatively easy ways to pay those taxes:

1. Withhold taxes from the distribution to my Dad. If we do this, is this something Vanguard can do? The trust and my Dad's other accounts are both at Vanguard and he can see them in his online login. I got the impression from talking with Vanguard that as far as their concerned, if my Dad wants to take a distribution, he just transfers money online from one account to the other.

2. Pay the taxes next April. I'm slightly worried about an underpayment penalty, but this is the first year that the trust will exist and owe taxes, so I'm hoping/guessing that the government will give us a pass.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2017, 11:19 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Never mind. I remembered I had my Dad order checks for the trust account already and we're just going to send in an estimated tax payment in December.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:51 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
.... I've figured out that it makes sense to distribute most of that income to my Dad (the current beneficiary) because it'll get taxed preferentially on his return rather than the trust return. ...
Why 'most'? Why not distribute ALL the income? As you say, it will just be taxed at the higher tax rates and lower brackets of a trust. With no retained income, I don't think the trust will need to file taxes either - simpler.

Also, if Vanguard charges based on a % of trust assets, that's another ding against holding anything extra in the trust.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:17 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Good questions.

It is a very small optimization, but it is better to have the trust fill up and pay taxes at the lower tax brackets than distribute it all and have my Dad pay taxes at his higher tax bracket.

The trust will have to file a federal income tax return regardless of whether it distributes none, some, or all of the income because the IRS will be receiving income tax forms (1099's and whatnot) regarding the trust income and will want to know that taxes were paid on that income (either by my Dad or by the trust).

Vanguard charges us nothing for the trust, other than the usual expense ratios on the mutual funds inside of the trust.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:19 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Why 'most'? Why not distribute ALL the income? As you say, it will just be taxed at the higher tax rates and lower brackets of a trust. With no retained income, I don't think the trust will need to file taxes either - simpler.

Also, if Vanguard charges based on a % of trust assets, that's another ding against holding anything extra in the trust.

-ERD50

Agreed. And a hefty fee will be charged for filing the trust’s tax return.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:48 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Good questions.

It is a very small optimization, but it is better to have the trust fill up and pay taxes at the lower tax brackets than distribute it all and have my Dad pay taxes at his higher tax bracket.
Ahhh, OK, I guess if the retained income is small, it would be taxed at 15%, and your Dad as single could easily be higher than that . Single $37,950 is the start of the 25% bracket, estate is 15% up to $2,550.

https://www.putnam.com/literature/pdf/II952.pdf.

But as Dash Man says, check the cost of filing a 1041. I don't think the IRS will be looking for you to file, if income is below some threshold it isn't required, right? Hmmm....

How to Report Irrevocable Trust Income Taxes to the IRS | Finance - Zacks

Quote:
Form 1041
The trustee must file Form 1041 if the trust has any taxable income for the year or if it has at least $600 in income for the year even if none of it is taxable.
OK, that's a pretty low bar - $600 of any sort of income.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:02 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the double check, I appreciate it.

Trust income will be mostly dividends and MF distributions in the modest five figure range. Now-single Dad looks like he will be taxed at 28%.

At equal tax rates, it becomes a question of where to keep money. Dad doesn't need the income at the moment, and there are potential estate tax concerns, so better to keep it in the trust (which will forever be federal estate tax free).
Old 10-30-2017, 01:21 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the double check, I appreciate it.

Trust income will be mostly dividends and MF distributions in the modest five figure range. Now-single Dad looks like he will be taxed at 28%.

At equal tax rates, it becomes a question of where to keep money. Dad doesn't need the income at the moment, and there are potential estate tax concerns, so better to keep it in the trust (which will forever be federal estate tax free).

I’m curious how the trust is Federal Estate tax free?
Old 10-30-2017, 01:24 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Certain versions of Turbotax will fill the 1041 form for you. Your state may or may not also require a trust return, and that part is likely not handled by Turbotax.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:30 PM   #10

I don't know the answer but a lot of bypass trusts state that "all income" shall be distributed. You might double check language.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:34 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
I don't know the answer but a lot of bypass trusts state that "all income" shall be distributed. You might double check language.

We’ve set up our trusts to distribute all income to avoid Trust taxes and fees charged by the trust administrator to prepare the return.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:41 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I’m curious how the trust is Federal Estate tax free?
It's a marital bypass or credit shelter trust - I think those are the proper terms, anyway. The assets in it are considered part of my Mom's estate, and since, when she died, her estate was under the federal estate tax limit at the time of her death, there will be no further estate tax due on those assets regardless of how large they may grow.

On the flip side, the assets got a step up in basis to the date of her death but my understanding is that when they are eventually distributed to her children there will not be a further step up in basis then. So any capital gains taxes her kids might ultimately pay will be based on prices from 2016.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:44 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Certain versions of Turbotax will fill the 1041 form for you. Your state may or may not also require a trust return, and that part is likely not handled by Turbotax.
My Dad has a CPA do his taxes, and my expectation is that he will have the CPA do the 1041 also. His CPA is pricey compared to Turbotax, but he likes knowing they're done right and he can easily afford it.

His taxes are getting simple enough to where I could probably do them, but I'm not sure he would feel comfortable with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
Yeah, I already did. The trust language says that distributions are at the discretion of the Trustee, who is my Dad.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Turbotax business does 1041s for trusts as well as partnerships and estates.
The trust then sends a K-1 to the beneficiary with for the income transfered (as does an estate).

Note that preparer fees are deductable on form 1041 as well. So at a minimum you want to withhold the preparer fee from the
beneficiary so it can be deducted.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:30 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's a marital bypass or credit shelter trust - I think those are the proper terms, anyway. The assets in it are considered part of my Mom's estate, and since, when she died, her estate was under the federal estate tax limit at the time of her death, there will be no further estate tax due on those assets regardless of how large they may grow.

On the flip side, the assets got a step up in basis to the date of her death but my understanding is that when they are eventually distributed to her children there will not be a further step up in basis then. So any capital gains taxes her kids might ultimately pay will be based on prices from 2016.

We also have a credit shelter trust provision in our revocable trusts. Our attorney told us the only way to avoid estate taxes was to keep the value of the estate under the Federal limits by gifting, spending or removing assets from the estate. and our trusts are designed to combine our exemptions when the first of us passes. But you said the trust value was under the limit when your mom died, so that’s why there’s no estate tax. It’s not because of the type of trust.
Our trusts will be split into several trusts for our descendants after any taxes are paid (if needed), and other beneficiaries will receive funds directly distributed to them.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:48 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Note that preparer fees are deductable on form 1041 as well. So at a minimum you want to withhold the preparer fee from the
beneficiary so it can be deducted.
Right. I've made a note to have him pay the preparer fees for the trust taxes via a check from the trust. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:10 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
We also have a credit shelter trust provision in our revocable trusts. Our attorney told us the only way to avoid estate taxes was to keep the value of the estate under the Federal limits by gifting, spending or removing assets from the estate. and our trusts are designed to combine our exemptions when the first of us passes. But you said the trust value was under the limit when your mom died, so that’s why there’s no estate tax. It’s not because of the type of trust.
Our trusts will be split into several trusts for our descendants after any taxes are paid (if needed), and other beneficiaries will receive funds directly distributed to them.
Emphasis added...Right, I was just mentioning the type of trust as a preamble, and I thought relevant piece of information, to the salient point.

But what I wrote was that my Mom's estate size was under the federal limit when she died. The size of my Mom's estate and the size of the trust ended up to be two different numbers.

Without getting into too much private detail, my parents live/d in a community property state and without this trust it would have been more likely that one or both of them would have paid federal estate taxes. The amount to which this trust was funded was a carefully crafted trade off between multiple factors.

The trust in question was funded *after* my Mom's death as a combined result of her will, a separate marital trust document, a marriage settlement agreement, TEDRA, and the community property laws in their state.

You have the overall picture right, though - the intent was to avoid "wasting" the first person's federal estate tax exemption amount while preserving the assets for the use of the remaining spouse if needed, then passing the assets to the kids after the second spouse's death. Sounds like your plans are doing a similar sort of thing.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:21 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Emphasis added...Right, I was just mentioning the type of trust as a preamble, and I thought relevant piece of information, to the salient point.

But what I wrote was that my Mom's estate size was under the federal limit when she died. The size of my Mom's estate and the size of the trust ended up to be two different numbers.

Without getting into too much private detail, my parents live/d in a community property state and without this trust it would have been more likely that one or both of them would have paid federal estate taxes. The amount to which this trust was funded was a carefully crafted trade off between multiple factors.

The trust in question was funded *after* my Mom's death as a combined result of her will, a separate marital trust document, a marriage settlement agreement, TEDRA, and the community property laws in their state.

You have the overall picture right, though - the intent was to avoid "wasting" the first person's federal estate tax exemption amount while preserving the assets for the use of the remaining spouse if needed, then passing the assets to the kids after the second spouse's death. Sounds like your plans are doing a similar sort of thing.

Yes, same goal. We’re not a community property state, but each have a child from a previous marriage that creates its own difficulties under Pennsylvania law.

Tags
trust taxes