Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-12-2021, 03:55 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Huh? This sounds like something out of a spy novel....
Agree.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2021, 04:46 PM   #22

My son was unable to verify his identity with Equifax recently when he was signing up for his own health insurance (vs mine) on CoveredCA. It was because he didn't have enough credit history to have valid questions. He was able to get verified with CoveredCA by having an agent upload copies of his passport and DL.

As for identity theft - you mentioned your credit was locked... Is it still? With all 3 agencies? If so no one can open a new account (even you) without unlocking. So take a deep breathe and take a beat... Call on Monday to find out why you can't log in anymore.
Old 09-12-2021, 04:49 PM   #23

^ yes exactly

And from many similar accounts I've read here, unlocking credit is quite often a huge PITA, and OP's experience is quite common.

So in lieu of a lock, I prefer to monitor. I have credit karma and others, all they do is scan your reports on the regular. But it's very frequent, so you apply for a credit card and you'll get an email later that day. New account gets opened, same thing, change to score, etc.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:27 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Use TransAmerica, it works better than some.

Equifax is really EquiFool, In my opinion their solution after being hacked was to make it super hard to do stuff online by making it not work.
I think you mean TransUnion.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:42 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I don't know what's up with "a break-in and paperwork" either.

Paperwork?

Yeah, don't sweat it, I froze my credit back during the "big hack" and I can't even get credit and I tried at Home Depot and my own bank. So it works.
Old 09-12-2021, 05:55 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I've been able to get my credit reports from all 3 credit bureaus via snail mail going the paper route via annual credit report.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/m...estForm.action

I just fill the the simple page with basic annual credit info and get the reports in the mail. Had no problem getting the report even though credit file is frozen

As for online, I've retrieved before from Experian and Transunion a few years back.

Equifax is pretty much a total joke. This has been discussed in other threads. Calling, and providing the requested personal information did no good.

But as I said, I was able to get my credit record with the standard annual credit info form.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:42 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
My son was unable to verify his identity with Equifax recently when he was signing up for his own health insurance (vs mine) on CoveredCA. It was because he didn't have enough credit history to have valid questions. He was able to get verified with CoveredCA by having an agent upload copies of his passport and DL.

As for identity theft - you mentioned your credit was locked... Is it still? With all 3 agencies? If so no one can open a new account (even you) without unlocking. So take a deep breathe and take a beat... Call on Monday to find out why you can't log in anymore.
Yes, my credit is still supposed to be locked. However, I was recently turned down for a 2% credit card with Wells Fargo, who informed me in writing that this was based on my report from Experian! I have a current credit card from WF, so maybe that's how they were able to get my report from Experian? I always assumed it was because I put down $0 for earned income ... ugh.

I can't wish for Monday morning to come around faster!
Safire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safire View Post
Yes, my credit is still supposed to be locked. However, I was recently turned down for a 2% credit card with Wells Fargo, who informed me in writing that this was based on my report from Experian! !
Maybe WF letter of explanation was generic and imprecise in its language. By "based on your credit report from Experian", maybe all they meant was they tried to get your credit report from Experian and "could not get it"---(because it was frozen)! So, as with all CC turndowns WF does, they say "based on your credit report....".

Make some phone calls to credit bureaus tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:53 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Yeah, I don't know what's up with "a break-in and paperwork" either.

Paperwork?
Have none of you here ever had paperwork containing sensitive information lost or taken?
Old 09-12-2021, 09:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Have none of you here ever had paperwork containing sensitive information lost or taken?
No, other than info being hacked into at various corporations like Westin and Equifax.

You need to elaborate on your earlier post: "The person who was responsible for keeping my information safe. There was a break-in and paperwork was stolen, among them a document containing my ENTIRE life history."
RetiredHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:32 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
^ yes exactly

And from many similar accounts I've read here, unlocking credit is quite often a huge PITA, and OP's experience is quite common.

So in lieu of a lock, I prefer to monitor. I have credit karma and others, all they do is scan your reports on the regular. But it's very frequent, so you apply for a credit card and you'll get an email later that day. New account gets opened, same thing, change to score, etc.
I have the big 4 credit reporting sites locked and have unlocked 3 of them temporarily to get a new credit card and it was easy.
A big key is to keep the PIN number for each one.

I have had a credit card application rejected because I didn't unfreeze my accounts first.
Now I unfreeze for 24 hours before I apply for a credit card.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:39 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Every week by the garbage pickup, but of course I shred it first.

My entire life is PUBLIC record, so I have to live as though all the bad guys know everything: ex: Mother's maiden name _______________ I just give random nonsense answers and keep them encrypted.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:26 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Just called and was able to block access to my SSA account. DMV wants PROOF of financial or identity theft before they'd actually flag my license number..... Apparently, the DMV wants you to be a victim first before deigning to help you or to assist you in proactively fighting potential theft. Oh, well.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:33 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

What is someone going to do with the DMV license number

Do you already have a SSA account , wouldn't that stop access if you change the password and security questions ?
Old 09-13-2021, 11:46 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Do you already have a SSA account , wouldn't that stop access if you change the password and security questions ?
I don't know about you, but I don't have a clue about what's going on here..
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:54 AM   #36

OP, have you called Experian and Equifax, supposedly the two entities whose online processes (supposedly blocking you from signing in) set you off on your panic, and it appears paranoia, about "potential" identity theft? Call them about your ability to sign in---maybe there are some explanatory answers to at least a few of your questions.
Old 09-13-2021, 12:03 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I don't know about you, but I don't have a clue about what's going on here..
Do you have ANY USEFUL advice to give me? Or you're here just to mock my situation? Spy novel? Really? I am glad I'm providing so much entertainment to you but if you have NO advice, kindly desist from mocking my situation... furthermore, KARMA is a b1tch. Anyone can have personal documents stolen and find themselves in my unfortunate situation... ANYONE. That includes you.
Old 09-13-2021, 12:13 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
OP, have you called Experian and Equifax, supposedly the two entities whose online processes (supposedly blocking you from signing in) set you off on your panic, and it appears paranoia, about "potential" identity theft? Call them about your ability to sign in---maybe there are some explanatory answers to at least a few of your questions.
I can't seem to reach a HUMAN at either agency. I keep getting answered by their automated system that keeps throwing me into a loop. I have tried every phone number available on their own sites as well as on Google. No luck yet.

Agreed, I sound paranoid, but knowing my horrible luck, I think it is better to be safe than sorry.

Quote:

The license information was among the pieces of documents that were stolen in the break-in. While it may not be of much use on it's own, when used in conjunction with my SS, it can be a great way for someone to steal my identity. The DMV rep agreed with me, but won't flag my license number until after I've shown proof of fraud.

Ditto with the local police department. They told me my call was being logged and it was natural for me to be concerned that my information was stolen during the break-in, but they cannot file a fraud report without actual fraud... so yeah, as paranoid / worried as I am, I still apparently have no real cause for concern.

I blocked my SSA a/c to prevent a potential thief from changing my personal information via their automated phone system. As I don't receive benefits yet and they don't need my phone number or mailing address, it was just one less thing to worry about by blocking electronic access to mySSA a/c.
Old 09-13-2021, 12:29 PM   #39

Good idea to block your SS account. Just having an online account is not enough to protect your SS payments. Several years ago someone was able to call SS and get my SS deposits changed from my bank account to another bank account. The only things the thief needed was my SS number and address. I had an online SS account but that did not prevent the fraud. To prevent this from happening again SS blocked my SS account. Now for someone to change my SS payment information they will have to go through a lot more questions.

I don't have any suggestions to help the OP with the credit agencies. Fortunately, when I had the SS fraud I had already frozen my credit reports.

The only other suggestion I have for the OP is he might want to contact the IRS and get a PIN number so no one can steal his tax refunds.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 01:05 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Do you have ANY USEFUL advice to give me? Or you're here just to mock my situation? Spy novel? Really? I am glad I'm providing so much entertainment to you but if you have NO advice, kindly desist from mocking my situation... furthermore, KARMA is a b1tch. Anyone can have personal documents stolen and find themselves in my unfortunate situation... ANYONE. That includes you.

In the last seven days or so you've started 3 threads having to do with money and identity issues. This one, the Wells Fargo card and being unhappy your landlord no longer takes checks.

Where was the file containing your info stolen from, do you have reason to believe that you yourself were targeted? Was it a group of large files...

You have your credit locked, you don't own a home to encumber, you aren't drawing SS.

Do you have any solid reasons to think someone is targeting you? For your sake I hope this is much ado about nothing and your info is safe. Now does whoever was holding all your info have any fiduciary duty to help you...?

Your set of circumstances is very unusual...

It's obvious you are upset.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote