Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-13-2021, 01:07 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. In addition to the suggestions in the attached article I've sometimes found the Facebook page of a public facing company is actively monitored. You can sometimes get around barriers via social media. Most major companies have social media presence and scrape that data into a feed handled by their PR department.

Here's something I found:

https://clark.com/credit/talk-to-rea...n-equifax/amp/

Experian phone number: Experianís official customer service number is: 1-888-EXPERIAN (1-888-397-3742). But I called*1-714-830-7000*to talk to a human.

How to reach a real person: Bypass the consumer line and call the business or client line. Press 2.

Total wait time: Less than 2 minutes
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2021, 01:09 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
One problem OP has is having just 1 credit card.

There is potentially a lot of room for a hacker to get many credit cards in OP's name.

Should OP's single credit card be misused, it will be frozen/cancelled , and OP already has issues gettng a second CC, so it will be awkward.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:22 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I have the big 4 credit reporting sites locked and have unlocked 3 of them temporarily to get a new credit card and it was easy.
A big key is to keep the PIN number for each one.

I have had a credit card application rejected because I didn't unfreeze my accounts first.
Now I unfreeze for 24 hours before I apply for a credit card.
Thereís 4 now?
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 01:33 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Thereís 4 now?
innovis... caters to corporations.
RetiredHappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:55 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
In the last seven days or so you've started 3 threads having to do with money and identity issues. This one, the Wells Fargo card and being unhappy your landlord no longer takes checks.
Thank you for reminding me of all the threads I've started. So what is your point? Are you bandwidth keeper on this site?

I did open this thread with the obvious "I'm going through a bad time". I still don't understand your mocking my situation. Just block me or ignore my threads if they jarr you. Unless you own this website, my hogging bandwidth should be of no concern to you. If bandwidth was your concern then why do ou add posts that don't give any advice, but are made for just abject mockery?
Safire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 03:21 PM   #46
gone traveling

Quote:
One problem OP has is having just 1 credit card.

There is potentially a lot of room for a hacker to get many credit cards in OP's name.

Should OP's single credit card be misused, it will be frozen/cancelled , and OP already has issues gettng a second CC, so it will be awkward.
I disagree that "hackers have plenty of room to get many credit cards in OP's name". Remember, OP said credit files at the three main consumer credit reporting sites are "frozen"---thus making it near impossible for hacker to open many cc's.

I do agree it would be nice for OP to have two CC's. That is exactly why I have two, in case one gets frozen for whatever reason.
RetireeRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 03:58 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safire View Post
Thank you for reminding me of all the threads I've started. So what is your point? Are you bandwidth keeper on this site?

I did open this thread with the obvious "I'm going through a bad time". I still don't understand your mocking my situation. Just block me or ignore my threads if they jarr you. Unless you own this website, my hogging bandwidth should be of no concern to you. If bandwidth was your concern then why do ou add posts that don't give any advice, but are made for just abject mockery?

Please calm down I'm saying you seem to have a lot of money identity issues bothering you at once and asking if there is something going on.. is this all part of the theft problem?

I did say I hope nothing bad ends up happening and asking if the persons or entity safeguarding your paperwork had any duty to help you. I expressed good wishes which is far from "abject mockery"..

Did you actually read my whole comment because it was much more then the two sentences you quoted....
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:14 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Did you signup on Credit Karma? I explained that their website would show you all of the loans/credit lines that are open in your name...
l8_apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:17 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Agree with I8_apex - open a creditkarma account and that will allow you to at least monitor from a secondary spot. Having your phone set up to tell you of any transaction that takes place in checking, credit, whatever else you have is good too.
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:13 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What is someone going to do with the DMV license number

Do you already have a SSA account , wouldn't that stop access if you change the password and security questions ?
Use it as proof of your identity.
Old 09-18-2021, 04:36 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting update:

I *was* able to order a credit report via phone on Experian and create an a/c on Experian to check out what was going on with my credit report. Strangely enough, there was no freeze on my report.

I similarly tried to create an a/c online at Equifax. It could not verify my identity and then I got alert stating they would be sending me a code via snail mail and to use the code to continue with my a/c creation on the website.

But I am unable to place a security freeze on both - I thought I had previously had a freeze placed, but now they are requiring a police report to do this? I did call in a complaint to my local police station who wouldn't file a report until I COULD "show proof" that my id was stolen.

Just more and more DRAMA. But thought I'd post an update here.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:08 PM   #52

Safire all that sounds strange about not being able to place a credit freeze. I thought anyone could put a freeze on their files without having a reason. Maybe they were talking about a credit lock which is something the credit agencies charge for?
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 05:58 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Safire, do you remember unfreezing your credit files with these credit agencies when you applied for the 2% cash back credit card? Maybe you forgot to re-freeze after the application?
RetiredHappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:33 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredHappy View Post
Safire, do you remember unfreezing your credit files with these credit agencies when you applied for the 2% cash back credit card? Maybe you forgot to re-freeze after the application?
No, I didn't unfreeze my reports because I have an older credit card with Wells Fargo and so they could access my file without me having to unfreeze my report.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:36 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Nobody requires a police report to place a freeze on their credit report.

Congress passed the law, so it is free to freeze and un-freeze credit reports anytime, repeatedly. I've done it and no police report. Whoever said that lied.

Don't be fooled by the credit LOCK, and similar things that are not a freeze.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:38 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I similarly tried to create an a/c online at Equifax. It could not verify my identity and then I got alert stating they would be sending me a code via snail mail and to use the code to continue with my a/c creation on the website.
This is what EquiFOOLs do very regularly, instead of having a good safe secure software, they mail you the code.

They did it for me too, it does work using the code they mail.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:04 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, I didn't unfreeze my reports because I have an older credit card with Wells Fargo and so they could access my file without me having to unfreeze my report.
I have an older credit card with WF and they required me to unfreeze my report when I applied for the new 2% cash back card.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:32 AM   #58

If you believe that you need a police report you may wish to file a report with the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) as described here.

Local law enforcement may be hesitant to take a formal police report. I experienced this problem first hand. I *suspect* that it has something to do that they will not have the resources to track down the criminal and unsolved police reports may count against their metrics.

You won't have this challenge when reporting directly to the FTC as described above which you can do online from home.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 12:01 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I have an older credit card with WF and they required me to unfreeze my report when I applied for the new 2% cash back card.
I did not. WF sent me a letter detailing why they were denying my request (due to low income / large monthly expenses) and further stated that they retrieved my credit report from Experian. So not sure what happened there with you, as existing business have continued access to your credit report (also confirmed by my credit report that I ordered via phone at Experian). My bigger worry is why my credit report now shows that there's no freeze on it currently.
Old 09-19-2021, 12:36 PM   #60

I've looked through these posts and I'm very confused.

You said originally that you "suspected" your identity had been stolen.
Then later you said you were "informed" by some unidentified person who was subjected to a break-in and theft of your documents.
Then you started wondering why your credit accounts were not frozen although weren't sure you had frozen them or maybe just locked them.
Then you couldn't get a police report despite the break-in and theft.

If you want more good advice than you have already received here, you're going to have to provide a lot more detail so we can figure out the actual situation.

Believe me, we're all more than willing to help, but with so many contradictory items it's very hard to know what to tell you.