Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-19-2021, 02:46 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I've looked through these posts and I'm very confused.

You said originally that you "suspected" your identity had been stolen.
Then later you said you were "informed" by some unidentified person who was subjected to a break-in and theft of your documents.
Then you started wondering why your credit accounts were not frozen although weren't sure you had frozen them or maybe just locked them.
Then you couldn't get a police report despite the break-in and theft.

If you want more good advice than you have already received here, you're going to have to provide a lot more detail so we can figure out the actual situation.

Believe me, we're all more than willing to help, but with so many contradictory items it's very hard to know what to tell you.
Yes, you're confused. Where I have contradicted myself?

I was very clear - there was a break-in at a location which had copies of confidential documents containing my personal sensitive financial / identity information. Among the things missing from the place after the break-in was my paperwork, which is presumed stolen.

I was informed of the break-in and the disappearance of my paperwork. This loss, in addition to my difficulties accessing my credit reporta online, made me worried that my id could have already been stolen. So I called the cops who informed me that they couldn't file a police report about my particular worry of potential ID theft unless I could show fraudulent a/cs were opened in my name or money stolen from my a/cs.

The cops are investigating the break-in SEPARATELY. I do not own the place that was broken into - maybe that makes this clear? I am only concerned about my stolen document copies which were there, and which may or may not be used to steal my ID.

No, I said nothing about a credit lock. I was VERY CLEAR that I had previously FROZEN my credit reports online years ago. Apparently, that is no longer the caae which contributes to my mounting fears.
Safire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2021, 03:07 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safire View Post
No, I said nothing about a credit lock. I was VERY CLEAR that I had previously FROZEN my credit reports online years ago. Apparently, that is no longer the caae which contributes to my mounting fears.
Well, I guess I was wrong. I was going by this comment:
Quote:
Yes, my credit is still supposed to be locked.
But never mind. Your situation is clear as mud to me, so I won't comment any more here.
Old 09-19-2021, 03:17 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Well, I guess I was wrong. I was going by this comment:
Ugh... My bad. I never did a credit lock which apparently is a paid option at credit bureaus. I meant a freeze.
Old 09-19-2021, 03:34 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like the only thing you can do right now is monitor your credit cards and try to get credit reports through mailing the form mentioned a while back.

Please remember that the vast majority of your personal information, both financial and otherwise, is already all over the web. This is the result of the Equifax hack a couple of years ago and other hacks which have and have not been publicized.

We all worry about ID theft and inappropriate financial info ad asset theft. A friend of mine who has been paranoid about this for years and has done everything you can do to protect his assets had $25,000 extracted from his Chase savings account over a weekend a year ago. It took him quite a while to resolve this as you are guilty until you can prove yourself innocent these days.

Good luck going forward.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:08 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ugh... My bad. I never did a credit lock which apparently is a paid option at credit bureaus. I meant a freeze.

Best not to use caps in your answers then. You haven't actually said if the theft was a one off of your info or part of large break in theft. Most identity thieves tend to use the web, your email or phone. I don't think they break in places looking personal info.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:07 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
You haven't actually said if the theft was a one off of your info or part of large break in theft.
How does this information help? What difference does it make?

Quote:

Most identity thieves tend to use the web, your email or phone. I don't think they break in places looking personal info.
So just ignore the loss / disappearance of sensitive paperwork? Don't think that's a good idea.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:11 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
It sounds like the only thing you can do right now is monitor your credit cards and try to get credit reports through mailing the form mentioned a while back.

Please remember that the vast majority of your personal information, both financial and otherwise, is already all over the web. This is the result of the Equifax hack a couple of years ago and other hacks which have and have not been publicized.

We all worry about ID theft and inappropriate financial info ad asset theft. A friend of mine who has been paranoid about this for years and has done everything you can do to protect his assets had $25,000 extracted from his Chase savings account over a weekend a year ago. It took him quite a while to resolve this as you are guilty until you can prove yourself innocent these days.

Good luck going forward.
Thank you. That's horrible about your friend. Was he able to recover the money in full? Yes, the issue here with identity theft is that you are considered guilty by default and the burden of proof that you are the victim is solely on you.

To be on the safe side, I just sent out written requests by postal mail to the credit bureaus about adding credit freezes to my account. It may stop my brain from heating up (at least temporarily) over this issue.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:39 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How does this information help? What difference does it make?

So just ignore the loss / disappearance of sensitive paperwork? Don't think that's a good idea.
It helps because if it was part of a large group of papers including other people that means it wasn't targeted towards you, was anything valuable besides paperwork taken..

If the person holding your paperwork filed a theft report I don't see what else you can do.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:56 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
It helps because if it was part of a large group of papers including other people that means it wasn't targeted towards you, was anything valuable besides paperwork taken..
Seriously, do you think it matters if the theft was "personal or not"? Ignoring the fact that sensitive information was lifted (because, oh, it wasn't personal) is not a good idea because who knows who the thief was and what s/he could do with this info on his/her hands? YMMV.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:54 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Seriously, do you think it matters if the theft was "personal or not"? Ignoring the fact that sensitive information was lifted (because, oh, it wasn't personal) is not a good idea because who knows who the thief was and what s/he could do with this info on his/her hands? YMMV.
If you don't want to give more info don't. I'm following the lead of other posters and checking out ..

Your answers are non responsive bordering on aggressive .
Old 09-20-2021, 01:04 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thank you. That's horrible about your friend. Was he able to recover the money in full?

Yes, he got the bank to pay him back in full. But it took a while. Apparently, someone got his personal and bank login/password info and convinced a bank person to electronically transfer the $25 K to a bank in Iowa where a fake account was set up in my friend's name. The thief the accessed the funds and bought a ton of cash gift cards.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:49 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If you don't want to give more info don't. I'm following the lead of other posters and checking out ..

Your answers are non responsive bordering on aggressive .
Thank you! As for me being "aggressive", that's a joke given that you started harassing me on the thread first, including openly mocking me that my thread read like a spy novel like thriller! You don't need any more info... unless you're looking for my full legal name, DOB, SSN, current and past addresses etc.

Good bye.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:54 PM   #73
Administrator

Let’s remember we’re among friends here, so let’s keep it pleasant and respectful.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:50 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

I think the point is, if your data was kept at someplace like a friend or relative's house, and they had other stuff taken like TVs, jewelry, etc, it was a run-of-the-mill thief who probably doesn't really even know what to do with your papers.

But if it was a service of some sort that stores papers for a lot of people, and it was all those records stolen, likely it was someone who was looking for this kind of information to steal identities.

Either way it's good to be careful, but it's the latter that I'd really be super concerned about, to the point where I'd already be looking at all the steps you need to take to recover your identify, and maybe starting to take action. If it's the former, I'd watch and see.

We have no idea which case yours is. That's your business if you don't want to say, but with less information comes less useful answers.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:33 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

I think your paperwork has been tossed in the garbage soon after the thief found no stocks, bonds, currency or bullion.

Like a pickpocket tosses the wallet after removing the cash. Don't want to be caught with the evidence.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:12 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I think the point is, if your data was kept at someplace like a friend or relative's house, and they had other stuff taken like TVs, jewelry, etc, it was a run-of-the-mill thief who probably doesn't really even know what to do with your papers.

But if it was a service of some sort that stores papers for a lot of people, and it was all those records stolen, likely it was someone who was looking for this kind of information to steal identities.

Either way it's good to be careful, but it's the latter that I'd really be super concerned about, to the point where I'd already be looking at all the steps you need to take to recover your identify, and maybe starting to take action. If it's the former, I'd watch and see.

We have no idea which case yours is. That's your business if you don't want to say, but with less information comes less useful answers.
It's just that I wanted to protect my privacy, but to answer your question, it is a business that deals with people's personal information and so has a ton of paperwork on clients. That's why I am so worried.

I absolutely would still have worried if it had just been a break-in at any place where I stored my personal information, and my file was taken among everything else but this bothers me 100x worse. It was even more of a sucker punch when the cops refused to make a report because I just have no "proof" my id was stolen... yet. It's almost like they want you to become a victim first and THEN they'll step in and take a complaint.

I am probably just going through a particularly tough time when everything seems to be going wrong for me. Quite frankly, I don't check my credit report obsessively. I guard my info as much as possible such as by not giving people access to my bank a/cs, keeping a low limit on my credit card etc, checking my credit once a year, etc. I just became completely paranoid when one thing led to another and it seemed like everything was coming apart.

In any case, I've made a written request to all bureaus to freeze my credit report. I am not in the market for any big ticket items so there's no reason for me not to freeze my report and make it darned hard for the thief to get a dime out of me. I called my brokerage and told them to not allow any outgoing transfers. I am calling the bank tomorrow to see what my options are there. Don't know if there's anything else I should be doing but hopefully these steps suffice.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:12 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

UPDATE: Equifax online shows my report as frozen, but I received a letter at my home address wanting to further "verify" my ID. What the what?

Not a peep from Experian, though. The wheels turn very very slowly indeed!
Old 10-05-2021, 08:19 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

I guess it was a letter asking you to further verify your ID. What the what?
Old 10-05-2021, 08:45 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I guess it was a letter asking you to further verify your ID. What the what?
Exactly my point. The documents I submitted with my freeze request must have been enough because they did freeze my credit report. So what documents other than copies of my SSN card and DMV license (required to request a freeze) do they need? My birth certificate and the birth certificates of five generations prior?
Old 10-05-2021, 10:15 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Exactly my point. The documents I submitted with my freeze request must have been enough because they did freeze my credit report. ...
And do you have a PIN number to use to unfreeze the report for a short time. A temporary unfreeze when you want to apply for a credit card ?