Powerball at least 800 million,are you playing and how many tickets will you buy?

It's now a $900 Million Jackpot ($800m was yesterday). Got 3 tickets yesterday that was machine generated, and then 3 today as I picked my own numbers. But I bet more on the local lottery that has almost $500,000 on the pot today - odds are 1: 575,000. Powerball has 1 in 294 million. It has to be your karma and destiny to hit those odds. Dream on :)

Here is a way of looking at it:
There is a span of nine years, I want you to guess the correct year. In that year, I want you to guess the correct month. In that month, I want you to guess the correct day. In that day, I want you to guess the correct hour, In that hour, i want you to guess the correct minute, In that minute, I want you to guess the correct second.
Your odds are mathematically better at guessing the correct second in a 9-year span, than the powerball numbers.

283 million to 1 vs 292 million to 1

Last edited:
I'm in Vegas gambling, so far I've won $17, if it continues I will buy some lottery ticket.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I bought 5 Powerball tickets this morning along with 5 tickets for the state game ($5million +).

There could be several jackpot winners for PB tonight with this much frenzy over the high amount. Watch for the long lines of people wanting to buy tickets later today as the drawing time approaches which gives the news folks something to talk about.

Some locations have it, but I'm not sure I want to wait in line. This is from my googling.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I wonder if you won, would it be feasible to move to another state with no income tax before claiming the prize?

Probably not, but I'm sure you could find an attorney willing to argue the case for you.

How many chances does one get to become a billionaire? That's worth wasting a couple bucks. L seriously couldn't spend fast enough to keep up.

Last edited:
There is a span of nine years, I want you to guess the correct year. In that year, I want you to guess the correct month. In that month, I want you to guess the correct day. In that day, I want you to guess the correct hour, In that hour, i want you to guess the correct minute, In that minute, I want you to guess the correct second.
Your odds are mathematically better at guessing the correct second in a 9-year span, than the powerball numbers.

That was an uncool post. I was busy enjoying my daydream of me winning the lotto, until you ruined it. I almost ripped up my ticket...almost... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That was an uncool post. I was busy enjoying my daydream of me winning the lotto, until you ruined it. I almost ripped up my ticket...almost... :)

Yeah, really. There we are, casually enjoying our daydreams of riches to come, and some killjoy has to post about facts!

Yeah, really. There we are, casually enjoying our daydreams of riches to come, and some killjoy has to post about facts!

Ya, Walt! I can simply let the 292 million slide by and dismiss it, as 292 doesnt sound so bad....But the time description comparison...A total square punch to the jaw on waking me up from my fantasy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't understand the madness of it all personally. I just hope the numbers are drawn tonight so the news will start talking about the next pointless thing.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.

I don't understand the madness of it all personally. I just hope the numbers are drawn tonight so the news will start talking about the next pointless thing.

For DW (and okay, me too a little bit) it's buying a few days of daydreams for entertainment for $2. Haven't you ever spent $2 or more on something just because it's fun? We are not so delusional that we think there's a snowball's chance we'll actually win anything. It is just for the entertainment value.

But still, somebody's gonna win it....

Here's a simpler comparison: You would need to pick a single correct day out of a period that spans 800,000 year (leap years not computed).

#destroyingdreamsonestatisticatatime

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.

Back when I was working I would occasionally buy a ticket the first day after the last drawing. I figured for $1 I got great entertainment by thinking what I would do with the money for 3 days. Now that I am ER I bought one $2 ticket the day of the drawing. Throwing caution to the wind! But to be honest winning would complicate my life too much. I like things just fine.

JDARNELL

Last edited:
If the odds bug you, you could always buy more tickets.

For $10,000 the odds of winning would be one in 60,000.

Those are pretty good odds for a life changing event.

Our small town has close to that population.

To minimize the chances of getting a duplicate, I pick my own numbers, excluding #1-31.

Good idea.

I won second prize in the NY Lotto once. Most second prizes are a couple thousand dollars, my winner was $610 - just enough to have to declare to my favorite uncle.

The reason it was so low was because I had played my birthday in the numbers. Turns out my birthday ( month and day) is the most common in the US.

I bought 3 tickets - first time ever playing Powerball. I wasn't planning to buy, but I had to cross state lines for something today so I thought I would if I stopped for gas and there wasn't a crazy-long line. Sure enough I had to stop, so now I have a few hours of daydreaming to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I never quite understood the mass enthusiasm for JUST these big jackpots... If someone wins even a relatively 'small' lottery of $40M, their lives will be radically changed. The lottery masses don't seem to get interested at that amount, they only get excited when it's over a few hundred million. Then the ticket sales just shoot thru the roof. My feeling is if your jazzed at $800M, you should be similarly excited at $40M too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom