Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2015, 09:24 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Do you have any interest in adopting a 60 year-old?
Nah, I think I'm going to adopt some version of my "dream house" instead, if I can just find it. I have been looking and looking, but nothing has come on the market in my target neighborhood since the holidays. Weird.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2015, 09:56 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Backing in to your numbers, your WR is ~ 5%/3 to 5%/2, so ~ 1.7% to 2.5%. In a downturn, you won't have much, if any, selling to do, as the dividends on your portfolio are about in that range.
There's still a cashflow gap after dividends because they mainly hit the tax-deferred account, which is not spendable at the moment. The taxable account is smaller and mostly growth-oriented equities. But yeah, any selling will be relatively small, and mainly to cover large discretionary expenses. Even more reason to stop sitting on cash, or at least reduce it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I agree that cash is just a drag, but people need to do what feels right to them (but just accept it for what it is, don't try to 'sell' it to me as some miraculous approach that will create money from nowhere ).
Agreed. I think it was something LOL! posted a while back that finally motivated me to read up and think this through. I may or may not continue holding cash at this level, but at least I can now approach the question more intelligently.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:08 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I never read anyone claiming that holding cash was a miracle approach that created money from nowhere. Was that some bucket approach claim?
Old 03-08-2015, 05:20 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It took me a couple years to get to a process that is comfortable for me. After I retired, I changed our target AA from 60/40/0 stock/fixed income/cash to 60/34/6. The cash is in an on-line savings account. My monthly "paycheck" is a transfer from the on-line savings account to my local bank account from which I pay my bills. In addition, I changed our taxable account investments from reinvesting dividends to sending dividends to my cash account. The cash account gets replenished from investments as part of my annual rebalancing, usually in December to mesh with my tax planning.

I retired 3 years ago and investment performance has been really good so its not clear how I would respond to a severe downturn, but I am pretty seasoned equity investor and would probably stay the course. I was still working during 2008/9 and while my AA was screaming at me to sell bonds and buy more equities, I lacked the courage, but I didn't sell and just stayed the course. If I had the courage to sell bonds and buy equities back then rather than just stay pat, I would be much richer today.

I haven't given us a raise since we retired because the amount that I have designated as a paycheck seems to be sufficient to cover our normal spending. We do occasionally have special expenses (loan to DD, garage we built, etc.) that we do transfers for above and beyond our "paycheck" just like we would have used savings to pay for special items when I was working.

Of course, YMMV.

i am first going into retirement in july but my plan is pretty much doing what you are.

50/44/6 allocation , channel all interest and distributions into cash and keep our fingers crossed the ride isn't to bumpy.

aince i follow a newsletter for my allocations my funds change from time to time to better fit wht is happening in the world .

if bonds falter there are plenty of more appropriate types of income funds to change too but that will play out as it unfolds.

boy, if fridays bond action was any sign of whats to come that drop was very scarey.

longer tem bond funds like TLT saw the equal to a 360 point drop in the dow while corporate bond funds fell 3/4's of a point or the equal of 135 points on the dow just in one session with that strong jobs report. .
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:56 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

if bonds falter there are plenty of more appropriate types of income funds to change too but that will play out as it unfolds.

boy, if fridays bond action was any sign of whats to come that drop was very scarey.
I'm reading the forecasts for the next 10 years of the bond market and it look rocky......what are these "more appropriate types of income funds" you mention?

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:17 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

typically rising bond rates go hand in hand with higher inflation expectations so:

TIPS

real estate income

floating rate funds

commodity linked bond funds

fidelity strategic income already started revamping trading some interest rate sensitive gov't debt for floating rate debt.

emerging market bonds have become less risky over the years and so yields have fallen. some of that is being replaced as well with other forms of floating rate debt.

all in all it fell about 1/2 of what fidelity corporate bond did yesterday in the bond sell off..
Old 03-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I never read anyone claiming that holding cash was a miracle approach that created money from nowhere. Was that some bucket approach claim?
The way I figure it, having 6% cash costs me about 21 bps a year.

The historical average return for bonds is 5.5% vs 0.9% that I get in the online savings account so the expected difference in return is 4.6%.

Assuming I rebalance annually, I would have 6% in cash at the beginning of the year and ~3% at the end of the year, so 4.5% on average during the year.

4.6% * 4.5% ~.207% or 21 bps. For me it is worth the peace of mind but YMMV.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:52 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

the only question is will we be solvent enough or live long enough to aee those average interest rates of 6% .
Old 03-08-2015, 12:53 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sorry, a bit of hyperbole and twisted humor attempt on my part. Yes, it was more directed at the bucket approach, but I see some things in common with holding cash, though to a far lesser degree.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The way I figure it, having 6% cash costs me about 21 bps a year.

The historical average return for bonds is 5.5% vs 0.9% that I get in the online savings account so the expected difference in return is 4.6%.

Assuming I rebalance annually, I would have 6% in cash at the beginning of the year and ~3% at the end of the year, so 4.5% on average during the year.

4.6% * 4.5% ~.207% or 21 bps. For me it is worth the peace of mind but YMMV.
I think using 2.5% for bonds would be more appropriate if you are using today's rate of 0.9% for cash in your calc.

When I could get 5.5% for bonds, I was getting 3% on my cash. Looks like the spread was a teeny bit wider back then.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:12 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think using 2.5% for bonds would be more appropriate if you are using today's rate of 0.9% for cash in your calc.

When I could get 5.5% for bonds, I was getting 3% on my cash. Looks like the spread was a teeny bit wider back then.
Fair point. Viewed that way it is totally inconsequential.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:47 PM   #32

Quote:

The historical average return for bonds is 5.5% vs 0.9% that I get in the online savings account so the expected difference in return

You do get that you are talking nominal numbers right. Cash is negative real return, and bonds are, long-term, only slightly positive. 0-2%

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:37 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeRetired View Post
Petershk, do you have that $300k in a CD ladder or just straight cash in a money market?
Right now it's straight cash (Ally account). I was thinking about a CD ladder... but man rates are so crappy
petershk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Of course I undetstand those are nominal returns and not real returns. So what?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Old 03-09-2015, 11:50 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petershk View Post
Right now it's straight cash (Ally account). I was thinking about a CD ladder... but man rates are so crappy
Same here. Not much incentive to lock up $ in a CD is there?
Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:00 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Synchrony just added 1.2% 12 month CDs.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:52 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Synchrony just added 1.2% 12 month CDs.
Really?! Cool, I'll check that out!
petershk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:08 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you all. I have not retired yet (Age 55 - hopefully this year or next) but I was wondering what others did to segregate cash flow and annual spending.

I think the easiest thing for me to do will be to place 1 year of estimated spending in a segregated account from which all expenses will be paid and check my progress periodically.

Excellent question OP.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:13 AM   #39

DW and I retired 3 years ago at age 55. My pension pretty much covers all the basic necessities. I planned on a 3% withdrawal rate to cover all the extras.
So far my highest withdrawal was 2 years ago at 2.7%. I withdraw as needed from the fixed income portion of the portfolio. I currently get a little over 2% in my 401K's Interest Income Fund so I would rather have the money sitting there then in my savings account.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote