Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Pretend 1099-R for rollovers
Old 04-18-2019, 12:55 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pretend 1099-R for rollovers

I'm playing with a "test" 2019 federal tax return in H&R Block. I want to see tax implications for rollovers to a Roth. H&R Block wants to grab these numbers from the 1099-R, so I'm trying to create a pretend one.

If you've done a rollover, what distribution code is in Box 7? Any other strange boxes checked? I assume boxes 1 and 2a should match?

Thanks in advance!

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2019, 01:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
I'm playing with a "test" 2019 federal tax return in H&R Block. I want to see tax implications for rollovers to a Roth. H&R Block wants to grab these numbers from the 1099-R, so I'm trying to create a pretend one.

If you've done a rollover, what distribution code is in Box 7? Any other strange boxes checked? I assume boxes 1 and 2a should match?

Thanks in advance!
I assume you are referring to a conversion from a Traditional IRA to a Roth IRA (this isn't the same as a rollover).

The code in Box 7 would typically be either "2" or "7"
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:22 PM   #3

I've got a "7", which is a "normal distribution". The IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box is checked.

The gross distribution and taxable amount boxes both list the total amount of the conversion.

Taxable amount not determined and Total Distribution are both checked.

That's it for mine.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:15 PM   #4

Thanks Animorph, I appreciate it! This is my maiden voyage.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:30 PM   #5

If you are 59.5 or older, it will have "7" - Normal Distribution; if you are younger, it will have "2" - Early Distribution, Exception Applies. The exception refers to applicability of the "additional tax" imposed on early distribution. Since it is a Roth conversion, the additional tax does not apply. Only the regular tax.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:32 PM   #6

I need to try that as well, also my first year trying to juggle low income for ACA credit but also need to do Roth conversions if I can. I went to H&R Block website but only see calculator for 2018, is that the one you are using or have you found one for Tax Year 2019?
RetiredAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
I went to H&R Block website but only see calculator for 2018, is that the one you are using or have you found one for Tax Year 2019?
I'm using my Block software I purchased and used to complete my 2018 return, by creating a new 2019 dummy return. I figure it's as close as I can get in April. I annualized my 2019 distributions & withholding from same, along with pension & SS payments and withholding. Not precise, but just looking for a rough guesstimate.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:10 PM   #8

2 additional things that I did before I started doing rollovers and Roth conversions after the rules were relaxed back in 2010 were:

#1) I read the instructions for 1099-R (ie the instructions directed at the institution responsible for issuing them)

#2) I did small rollovers and Roth conversions the first year and predicted how they would show up on the 1099-R and ultimately taxed. Once I validated that I understood how it worked (via the whole yearly tax return process) , I was ready to move onto larger transactions in the following year.

-gauss

p.s. You may also see codes G or H on your 1099-R also if an employer plan (ie 401k) is the source of the funds being rolled over or converted.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote