Price return/coupon return

lawman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I tried unsuccessfully to find how much of 2021 various bond returns were due to price return and how much was due to coupon return. Is there such a chart?

I think the calculations to do it yourself would be nearly impossible. The annual report listing the individual investments is about 50 pages long, so a rough guess is that there are over 2,000 individual securities in the fund.

But the annual report does show the amount of interest income for the 12 months ending 1/31/2022 of $871,847,000. If you want to subtract Vanguard's fees from that, the number is $832,700,000. You'd have to pro-rate that for VFICX shares vs VFIDX shares and then calculate it on a per-share basis, then compare the price on 1/31/2022 vs a year earlier to figure out the price appreciation. Then it's simple division from there. These latter calculations left as an exercise for the reader. ;-)

My thinking is that bond fund returns up until this year have realized more gain from price return than coupon return..That is likely to change for the next 5 - 10 years..Expecting more than coupon return I think will be disappointing but that's just me..I'm thinking now may be as good a time as any to move from bond funds to individual bonds

Back
Top Bottom