Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 07:57 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Overall, this is a great plan for me. I do not make more than $500K, or have a $1M mortgage. I have an average value home.

My tax rate gets lowered.

The standard exemption for me goes up from $6,500 to $12,000+.

I lose my state income tax deduction, but that is more than offset by a lower tax rate and a higher personal exemption.

The property taxes are limited to $10K, I pay less than $2,500 now. I can still buy a second home, deduct them, and be under the $10K limit.

I do not have mortgage interest now, but sometimes I use my HELOC for short term loans. I can still deduct the interest amounts.

The exclusion of the sale of a home except once every five years may hurt, but I have never used it yet, so unlikely to affect me too negatively.

I am not sure about pass-through entities and income based on the article. I may have to restructure some businesses, or dissolve them to take full advantage of the new law. Either way, it appears to be OK. It appears a maximum tax rate of 25%, or maybe I can deduct 17.4% of the income?

I can definitely see how people with expensive houses with a large mortgage and high property taxes may lose some of the deductions.

I am ready for the changes.
The standard deduction is "doubled" but the personal exemptions go away (at least in the House bill, I have not looked at the Senate bill). The net effect is about 15-20% increase in the deduction I think -- not "double."
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2017, 08:01 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Overall, this is a great plan for me. I do not make more than $500K, or have a $1M mortgage. I have an average value home.

My tax rate gets lowered.

The standard exemption for me goes up from $6,500 to $12,000+.

I lose my state income tax deduction, but that is more than offset by a lower tax rate and a higher personal exemption.

The property taxes are limited to $10K, I pay less than $2,500 now. I can still buy a second home, deduct them, and be under the $10K limit.

I do not have mortgage interest now, but sometimes I use my HELOC for short term loans. I can still deduct the interest amounts.

I am ready for the changes.
Senator - you might want to recalculate. You lost your personal exemption, so your standard deduction went from 10,650 to 12,000. Not the doubling you think.

For singles 65 and over its like 11,900 to 12,000. Pretty much the same.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:31 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

For MFJ seniors (both over 65) standard deduction + personal exemption goes from $23,800 in 2018 under the current system to $24,000 standard deduction and no personal exemption under the new.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:35 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1 but it seems that many only judge these things based on how it impacts them personally rather than based on common sense or equity and fairness.
I agree with the sentiment that i will take a personal hit if it is overall better for the country or economy.

My issue with this as it is proposed is they initially (as part of the corp taxcut) were also going to greatly reduce the transfer pricing of intellectual capital many corps use to avoid taxes, but when the corps complained they took that out. If i am going to pay more, i want real reform. If corp taxes are to be cut they need to reform the various loopholes such as carried interest, transfer pricing, intangible drilling etc. otherwise it becomes more of a give away.

Same goes for personal tax cuts such as conservation easements, and deductions for appreciated securities at stepped up rather than original basis. None of this was touched

Otoh, what is one persons loophole is another’s livelihood..... but if we are to truely reform, some of these things need to go.
Primer on House and Senate versions of proposed tax bill.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:42 AM   #25

Primer on House and Senate versions of proposed tax bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Senator - you might want to recalculate. You lost your personal exemption, so your standard deduction went from 10,650 to 12,000. Not the doubling you think.

Also Senator you would claim the new standard deduction, OR write off mortgage interest, real estate taxes and medical expenses, etc, not both.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

+1 all for a reduction in corporate tax rates even though 35% to 20% seems a bit too generous to me but also need to get rid of those loopholes... even if we phase the loopholes out to keep the peace.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 11-12-2017, 08:50 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1 but it seems that many only judge these things based on how it impacts them personally rather than based on common sense or equity and fairness.
I think a lot of people are judging this overall on common sense and fairness. It's just that many people do not agree on what is common sense and what is fair!
Old 11-12-2017, 08:54 AM   #28

Being from a high COL and property tax area, I suspect that we will end up paying more. I will not miss the AMT however. I would like to see the corporate tax go down as I think that will rev up the economy, and would like to see the estate tax and generation skipping tax eliminated.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:55 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

It still sounds great.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 11-12-2017, 09:46 AM   #30

I'm all for fairness, but I can't help but calculate the effect on our own tax situation. Under both plans we no longer itemize, so we essentially reduce AGI by $24,000. Under the House Plan we pay less in each of the next two years (by about $2,000). Under the Senate Plan we save about $1750 in each of the next two years. So the House plan is a bit more advantageous for us, however the 25% tax bracket threshold is lower under the House plan ($260,000) than the Senate plan($290,000). The proposed plans reflect roughly a 10% savings over total federal tax in 2018 and a 5% savings in 2019, the year that the tax bomb hits us. I think under either plan we should be able to stay in the 25% bracket.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:59 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachOrCity View Post
I agree with the sentiment that i will take a personal hit if it is overall better for the country or economy.

My issue with this as it is proposed is they initially (as part of the corp taxcut) were also going to greatly reduce the transfer pricing of intellectual capital many corps use to avoid taxes, but when the corps complained they took that out. If i am going to pay more, i want real reform. If corp taxes are to be cut they need to reform the various loopholes such as carried interest, transfer pricing, intangible drilling etc. otherwise it becomes more of a give away.

Same goes for personal tax cuts such as conservation easements, and deductions for appreciated securities at stepped up rather than original basis. None of this was touched

Otoh, what is one persons loophole is another’s livelihood..... but if we are to truely reform, some of these things need to go.
+1
Old 11-12-2017, 10:05 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

This may be because we are constrained to keep politics (the overall fairness of a policy is political) out of our discussions, but personal impacts are of interest to each person and are OK to discuss.

Quote:
Old 11-12-2017, 10:06 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachOrCity View Post

"if"
Old 11-12-2017, 10:13 AM   #34

I know I'm slow on the uptake but if we're going to pay more + add 1.5T to the federal deficit, why are 'we' doing it?
Old 11-12-2017, 10:24 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
The standard deduction is "doubled" but the personal exemptions go away (at least in the House bill, I have not looked at the Senate bill). The net effect is about 15-20% increase in the deduction I think -- not "double."
Depends on how many kids an MFJ couple might happen to have upon which to to claim personal exemptions ... as I understand.

Seems to me middle income non-itemizers with four or five kids (like my neighbors) might take a hit.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:43 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

All of this might, or might not even come to pass.

In the end, just tell me what I owe and I'll write the check. Can't do anything about it either way and --at least for me--playing what-if doesn't help.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:48 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
I know I'm slow on the uptake but if we're going to pay more + add 1.5T to the federal deficit, why are 'we' doing it?
That's what I don't get. How can such a huge increase in the deficit be good in the long run for any of us? Especially with the economy in fairly good shape. What am I missing?
Old 11-12-2017, 10:55 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
That's what I don't get. How can such a huge increase in the deficit be good in the long run for any of us? Especially with the economy in fairly good shape. What am I missing?
Where does the 1.5T number come from? If it is from the CBO, as I understand it, they are required to do a 'static' model, and there are some 'dynamic' models that include the estimated effect of increased business activity from lowering corporate taxes, and I think, returning funds to the US.

Sorry, I don't have sources for that, and don't have time right now to look them up - I haven't paid too much attention to these proposals, as like others have pointed out, they could change a lot and may not get anything passed. But I think the 'static' versus 'dynamic' modeling may be the key to your question.

-ERD50
Old 11-12-2017, 11:01 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-chris-collins
Old 11-12-2017, 11:09 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Where does the 1.5T number come from? If it is from the CBO, as I understand it, they are required to do a 'static' model, and there are some 'dynamic' models that include the estimated effect of increased business activity from lowering corporate taxes, and I think, returning funds to the US.

Sorry, I don't have sources for that, and don't have time right now to look them up - I haven't paid too much attention to these proposals, as like others have pointed out, they could change a lot and may not get anything passed. But I think the 'static' versus 'dynamic' modeling may be the key to your question.

-ERD50
I read yesterday it was scored statically, but I don't recall the source. The folks debating static vs dynamic had wildly different opinions of the effects.
Closed Thread