Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Private Equity Could Be Coming to Your 401(k)
Old 06-16-2020, 01:20 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Private Equity Could Be Coming to Your 401(k)

Quote:
Retirement savers in 401(k) plans could soon gain exposure to private-equity strategies, a move that pits proponents of the investment option against critics who say it would introduce unsuitable risks for many investors.

The Labor Department earlier this month issued an information letter that opens the door for average retirement savers to invest in strategies that are typically the domain of high-net-worth investors. The letter doesn’t authorize making private-equity investments available for direct investment in defined-contribution plans, such as 401(k)s. But it does appear to sanction their use as an option in a professionally managed multi-asset-class investment vehicle, such as a target-date, target-risk, or balanced fund.
https://www.barrons.com/articles/pri...ow-51592049601

The plan is to tuck these into target funds. Seems like it would have been a good place to unload the mortgage backed securities in 2008.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2020, 01:29 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Oh how lucky, we will be able to buy all sorts of vague, unclear investments with the sexy name Private Equity
Old 06-16-2020, 02:50 PM   #3
gone traveling

PE funds seem to benefit the fund managers more than the investors. Direct PE is already possible if converting 401K to Rollover to Self-Directed IRA.
JustVisitingThisPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 02:56 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustVisitingThisPlanet View Post
PE funds seem to benefit the fund managers more than the investors. Direct PE is possible if converting 401K to Rollover to Self-Directed IRA. I've been doing this for several years but am piggy backing off as a smaller player with a group of investors who vet the opportunities. Converted slowly over time and broadly to reduce risk, now across about 20 PE investments/loans.
You’ve posted this same content multiple times and reminded us you “invest in private equity” in almost half your posts. Is there some reason you need to repeat this message so often?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 02:59 PM   #5
gone traveling

Ah, didn't realize that was an issue. The topic came up so posted again. Have not discussed PE funds before. Will be quiet I suppose.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:04 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Ah, didn't realize that was an issue. The topic came up so posted again. Have not discussed PE funds before. Will be quiet I suppose.
It’s not an issue when your personal experience adds to the discussion. It is if you’re looking to drum up business.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:06 PM   #7
gone traveling

Ah, I'm not seeking to drum up business. Have no interest doing that and not in that biz. Group I'm engaged in isn't seeking outsiders. Didn't realize it came across that way. Also, I just looked through my posts and only see a few threads where I've discussed PEs, not half of posts.

Removed the repeated part in my first post. Can remove last few if you'd like.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:11 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Also, I just looked through my posts and only see a few threads where I've discussed PEs, not half of posts.
Interesting. My perception was that you'd mentioned it in virtually every post.

No matter, why not give it a rest and get on with getting on?
Old 06-16-2020, 03:20 PM   #9
gone traveling

Got it, am fairly new to site. Tough to gauge how broadly posts are seen given so many topics/users, but now realize over repeated. Have seen that with new users on forums I've been on for years and now here I am doing it. Feel free to delete last several Michael. Apologies.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:32 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Got it, am fairly new to site. Tough to gauge how broadly posts are seen given so many topics/users, but now realize over repeated. Have seen that with new users on forums I've been on for years and now here I am doing it. Feel free to delete last several Michael. Apologies.
Hey wait...
I was going to ask you about PE.
Seriously I read a little about it, and it seemed pretty negative in that they wanted folks to invest, but you don't have access to the financial reports or perhaps don't even know what the money is going into.

Sometimes I think of PE as a few folks buying a hotel.

Do you get financial reports (audited reports like regular companies Mc'D have to put out) ?
Old 06-17-2020, 05:57 AM   #11
gone traveling

At least annually for direct PE into private companies. Most private companies have up to 120 days (vs 90 for public) to complete audited statements after financial year end. Timing depends on shareholder or bank credit agreements, etc.

Most startups only do an audit when investors demand it, typically with a financing round.