Join Early Retirement Today

Problem with H&R Block Deluxe
Old 03-27-2023, 06:49 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Problem with H&R Block Deluxe

I though I would give a headsup for a potential problem for some of you using H&R. I encountered a similar problem with both the IRS 2210 (not schedule AI) and the GA 500UET. Even thought I entered, as prompted, the 4 quarterly estimates for both the Fed and GA state, the 2210 section, "Mini worksheet for line 19", the 4th quarterly estimate is zero. The same problem occurs in the GA 500UET in the section "MINI-WORKSHEET for Amounts Paid on Estimate". In both cases, I am forced to override and enter the amount to avoid hefty penalties. In both cases, the 1st 3 quarterly estimates do show-up correctly.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2023, 08:34 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I wanted to get credit for my level 2 EV charger. HRB didn't have the Form 8911. Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit. I was forced to mail my return. I am going with Turbo Tax next year.
ER2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 01:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER2B View Post
I wanted to get credit for my level 2 EV charger. HRB didn't have the Form 8911. Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit. I was forced to mail my return. I am going with Turbo Tax next year.
That would probably cause me to switch too. As it is, H&R Block is missing a tax credit form for Arizona that I need so I have to file the state return by mail. No big deal as I do that anyway - not going to pay an extra $20 to efile the state!
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 01:19 PM   #4

I read elsewhere that HRB actually does utilize that form, but it's hidden away under "Other Business Credits" on Form 3800.
Old 03-28-2023, 03:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I read elsewhere that HRB actually does utilize that form, but it's hidden away under "Other Business Credits" on Form 3800.
I suspect the problem is that you will actually need the 8911 form to include with your return. And that will force you to mail the return in. If you override to imput the value on Form 3800, it probably won't let you efile anyway.
Old 03-28-2023, 03:54 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
I suspect the problem is that you will actually need the 8911 form to include with your return. And that will force you to mail the return in. If you override to imput the value on Form 3800, it probably won't let you efile anyway.

Exactly. I tried everything to get the system to override. Hoping for an option to scan the form with the electronic return. Even called HRB helpless desk who agreed with me that they cannot provide that form. No reason given. Just keep waiting she said.

Cannot do it without that form. Oh well, after waiting a month for my refund, IRS finally indicated on its website that my refund is being processed.
ER2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 04:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER2B View Post
Even called HRB helpless desk who agreed with me that they cannot provide that form. No reason given. Just keep waiting she said.
My impression is that the form has been missing from the HRB software for years, so they obviously don't care. I've seen complaints posted online about this since 2020.
Old 03-28-2023, 07:28 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

+1 - Thanks for posting. I use HRB but can not find the 8911 form.
Now I know why.
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:24 PM   #9

I'm not sure I'll ever need the 8911 form but it's a stupid omission by H&R Block. As more people buy EVs, that will make the form more popular. More people will switch to TT and those folks will likely not return to H&RB even if they do start including the form.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:25 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Adding to OP question -
What have others done who are using HRB software if you need to take EV and other energy tax credits ?
Start over with TT ?? Submitting all paper forms seems like a poor option.
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 06:58 PM   #11

While I don't mind that my original problem was "hijacked" by another problem. I actually did solve mine. Even though I paid the 4th quarterly estimate for the Fed and state on time, 1/17/2023, after a 3 day weekend holiday, the software didn't recognize this date as being on time and ignored those estimates until I changed the date to 1/15/23. Pretty lazy programming.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:33 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the heads up. I try and pay my estimated taxes a few days before each due date, just to avoid snafus like this.
Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 09:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I try and pay my estimated taxes a few days before each due date, just to avoid snafus like this.
The snafu wasn't on my end. Jan 15 was a Sunday, Jan 16 was a holiday so the Jan 17 was the date the quarterly was due. I used H&R last year and 4th quarter estimate was due by Jan 18 and the software was ok with that date. Don't want to give Uncle Sam a very hefty estimate 4 days before it's due. That's just me.
Old 04-01-2023, 09:36 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sorry didn't mean to imply the snafu was on your end; just referring to any snafus.
Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 09:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
Sorry didn't mean to imply the snafu was on your end; just referring to any snafus.
No worries mate.
Old 04-02-2023, 07:17 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

HRB is also messing up Form 8615. I might splurge on TT next year.
Phroig is offline   Reply With Quote