Problem with Vanguard Access

MJ

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just got back to Thailand from a 3 week trip in Laos and I wanted to access my account just to do my quarterly accounting. But from 2:30PM EST (1:30AM Thailand), I could not log on. The message that came up was "Our logon process is currently unavailable. We're sorry for the inconvenience. Please try again later.", so after a dozen tries, I decided to call them using the internet and twice, I was kept onhold for over 5 minutes getting recorded messages that a rep will be with me shortly then got a finally message that due to technical difficulty, we cannot process your request. I did call a 3rd time and using their automated option, then pressed '0', I finally reached a poor rep who got a mouthful. I demanded a manager follow up.
Just to do a reality check, I also accessed both my Fidelity and TDAmeritrade and was able to get into my accounts easily. I have to assume that these companies would have similar large internet and phone call traffic, given the current market sell off.

Btw, I have accessed my Vanguard account as recently as 9/14.

I just can imagine, someone trying to buy or (panic) sell, unable to get access to their accounts from overseas. This is not the 1st time Vanguard has let me down. If it didn't hurt me financially, I would sell my funds and buy into another large firm. I know I can have Fidelity manage my Vanguard funds but I believe they charge $75/year per fund, but would they have had the same problems accessing my account?

Anyone else experience something similar?

I just accessed my Vanguard account online, no problem.

I haven't had any trouble accessing my Vanguard account today, either.

I logged on and did a transaction at 3:56 P.M. EST with absolutely no problem.

. I know I can have Fidelity manage my Vanguard funds but I believe they charge $75/year per fund, but would they have had the same problems accessing my account?
As far as I know the $75 charge is only when you make a sales transaction--there is no cost for holding in your account. I have moved Vanguard funds to Fidelity and have never had a charge for holding.

Vanguard gives you what you pay for--low cost admin and limited customer service--if you want more than it can't be low cost apparently. I personally do not find the small premium that Fidco gets much of a price to pay to avoid the aggravation I have gotten from my Vanguard presence.
nwsteve

I just tried to access my account again and got the same results. I guess my paranoia got the best of me this time.
Absent any further information, I have to assume at this time, there is a problem once again accessing Vanguard from Thailand.

Thanks for the feedback.

MJ
You might consider dumping your cookies and temp files in your browser.
Sometimes when there is a bad log-in, this info is retained and you continue to get the bad results. If you have not done this in awhile, it is considered by some as housekeeping. Go to Tools on your browser bar, Internet Options, there should be a dialogue box for Temp files you can delete cookies and/or temp files. I would also click on the settings link and be sure your browser is set to get a new page, every visit to the page. This also helps refreshing a bad log-in
Nwsteve

Nice to see you stop in MJ. A trip report at some point? We would love the distraction.

Back
Top Bottom